• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gengars change of ability from Levitate to Cursed Body? [Vote]

Your opinion of Levitate ->Cursed Body?

• I only want Cursed Body

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm glad for the nerf, as Gengar has been pretty powerful for a very long time. Plus I just really don't like it, as it's EVERYWHERE. Most other Ghost-types rarely get any focus anymore, especially since Gengar got a Mega. I doubt the nerf will downsize it much, but if it makes Gengar less common, then I'm fine with it. And now other Ghost-types can get a little more wiggle room in gaining some more usage, which would be good, as Ghost Mons tend to be pretty flexible and multi-talented. But I voted for both love the nerf and don't care, the former of which is because I've come to hate Gengar, and the latter of which is because the nerf won't downsize it much either way.
what do you think about the change of it's ability?
You have 3 Responses.
I think it is very bad because Gengar was fine with its ability if you want to change its ability then change of mega Gengar not of Gengar

Better cursed body because gengar with levitate was too much powerful.

Levitate was only better
Not if gengar is your opponent. The Pokemon has good speed and special attack with access to a wide range of movepool. Moreover, gengar has a mega evolution and a giganatamax. Better to nerf it a little bit in my opinion.

Not if gengar is your opponent. The Pokemon has good speed and special attack with access to a wide range of movepool. Moreover, gengar has a mega evolution and a giganatamax. Better to nerf it a little bit in my opinion.
But still if it is my opponent too I want it to have levitate because it makes it stronger ghost Pokémon Which is very much essential

I think it is very bad because Gengar was fine with its ability if you want to change its ability then change of mega Gengar not of Gengar

what about making it learn magnet rise then? or is bounce not enough? would lose a move slot and a turn.

Generaly we have its preevolutions with it still... galariaN and regular weezing with levitate ... mismagius and duskull too... rotom.... giratina... also Gengar was always with legs and shadow motive... understanbale was the nerf to let other pokemon shine with Levitate, people can still use Haunter with the same advantages even if not the same stats.

Last edited:
i lean on the side of not caring a whole lot about it, but i also think that it's kind of a bummer that gengar lost its ground immunity. i don't really necessarily think gengar was an overbearing threat or anything with levitate, which makes this nerf pretty questionable to me.

ah well.

Never liked the change, although it does make sense for a Pokemon that is depicted standing on the ground. Gengar is just too frail to use Cursed Body well, and it wasn't all that good competitively in Generation VII. At least it can now absorb Toxic Spikes by switching in.

taking amount of weakness , its high speed , acces to priority moves, two immunities and that Gengar has a Mega and Gigantamax then the nerf isnt that bad actually

makes me wonder if we could get a new female ghost/poison pokemon with a better gimmick then levitate?
Immunity to physical moves would solve most ground issues.[/spoiler

I wouldn't hate levitate so much if there was a way to tell if your opponent was levitating. <-< Or if the type advantage text would acknowledge it...

Game: This move will be super effective!
Me: Alright, I'll use that then.
Game: [Levitate]
Me: UGH.
Game: this move will be super effective!
Me: YOU LYING GIBBON! IT WILL HAVE NO EFFECT.

I wish they would have kept it as a hidden ability or something. I think Gengar is strong but frail. I think given the constant power creep they could have kept it available. That being said I think it makes sense from a conceptual standpoint: Gengar has legs. It's not floating anymore.

1367409496301.png

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom