• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Gigantamax: Your Top 5

Agreed, though I guess Megas eventually grew on me so maybe this will too? It is essentially just a Mega re-skin after all...
that’s really the reason why i don’t like it. i did like megas well enough, what i really dislike about this new concept is that it’s really just megas with a new name. i’d rather have them make new megas instead of making a new gimmick similar to megas for every region.

that’s really the reason why i don’t like it. i did like megas well enough, what i really dislike about this new concept is that it’s really just megas with a new name. i’d rather have them make new megas instead of making a new gimmick similar to megas for every region.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I really wish they had just expanded on Megas. Especially in a region that’s theoretically close to the one where Megas were introduced.

I kinda get that, but... this form change does also involve a size change and is functionally different with its Max Moves and all, so they're not all that similar aside from involving a form change which... I'll take the form changes, personally, because they're more interesting than just being flashy moves. Z-moves was a boring mechanic. Plus unlike Megas, this mechanic comes with a version that can be applied to every pokemon without being limited to only the ones that can form change, so it is a bit better in that regard.

That said... I'm not impressed with the Gigamax forms that we have received so far and I do wish that they would add more megas too. =(

I kinda get that, but... this form change does also involve a size change and is functionally different with its Max Moves and all, so they're not all that similar aside from involving a form change which... I'll take the form changes, personally, because they're more interesting than just being flashy moves. Z-moves was a boring mechanic. Plus unlike Megas, this mechanic comes with a version that can be applied to every pokemon without being limited to only the ones that can form change, so it is a bit better in that regard.

That said... I'm not impressed with the Gigamax forms that we have received so far and I do wish that they would add more megas too. =(
that i can agree with, they’re def more interesting than the z-moves. i guess the main issue really is that they keep dropping old concepts only to make up similar ones.

that i can agree with, they’re def more interesting than the z-moves. i guess the main issue really is that they keep dropping old concepts only to make up similar ones.
=/ Yeah, that's my biggest complaint with them too. Doesn't help that they totally cut the last two mechanics from these games either.

In a way it makes sense. They want each region to have something unique, without sacrificing mechanics people are familar with. So they compromise by simply replacing but keeping the fundementals. That's why they got rid of megas and z-moves but essentially combined the mechanics via dynamaxing.

In a way it makes sense. They want each region to have something unique, without sacrificing mechanics people are familar with. So they compromise by simply replacing but keeping the fundementals. That's why they got rid of megas and z-moves but essentially combined the mechanics via dynamaxing.
People like to say that they combined those two mechanics into Dynamax but aside from the vague notion of "enhanced form change" and "superpowered moves" they really didn't combine either of those mechanics at all. Dynamax is almost entirely different from both Megas and Z-Moves.

Ohmori: We wanted to try a new take on that “power up” gameplay that we had with Mega Evolution and Z-Moves. We kind of combined the two of those in a way with Dynamax—your Pokémon are powering up and growing much stronger, but also their moves change to be much stronger, as well.

Ohmori: We wanted to try a new take on that “power up” gameplay that we had with Mega Evolution and Z-Moves. We kind of combined the two of those in a way with Dynamax—your Pokémon are powering up and growing much stronger, but also their moves change to be much stronger, as well.
Yeah, in the vaguest sense in exactly the way I said- but it's still not really a combination of those two mechanics in any way that doesn't make the other two feel abandoned. Having a giant pokemon for three turns doesn't replace having a powered up pokemon for the entire battle, nor the fact that you lose access to those forms entirely (and I still stand by that they should not reuse Mega forms for Gigantamax, nor do I believe that they will). I'd say that Z-Moves were also more visually interesting than Max Moves appear to be but... that was both good and bad anyway and Z-Moves were just generally a boring mechanic, first time watching them aside.

Point is, they're not really the same enough to count, and this is annoying because we're starting to pile up a line of similar power boost mechanics that are different enough to have their own charm, but are getting abandoned at a rate that we can't get attached to them. It's kind of an ugly situation.

Crabominable with D-max or G-max would be actually cool.
With D-max and Crabhammer and Icehammer could change weather really fast and last longer in battle.

Tangela or Tangrowth could actually use a G-max to not only summon grassy terrain but also ingrain at the same time to heal up.

A bug pokemon like Vespiqueen better get a G-max move that not only protects it but deals demage and causes Infestation on the foe on the same time. G-max Swarm Army Order

Last edited:
Point is, they're not really the same enough to count, and this is annoying because we're starting to pile up a line of similar power boost mechanics that are different enough to have their own charm, but are getting abandoned at a rate that we can't get attached to them. It's kind of an ugly situation.

Yeah; I'd like to look forward to seeing G-max forms, but they probably won't ever be seen again which kind of leaves me rooting against them. I'm kind of glad that G-max forms have been somewhat subtle so far. I'm suspecting there is only going to be a small amount of them like the number of pokemon specific Z-moves. I don't think they are going to make a big deal out of them like Megas. The website even mentions that only "special members of these species" can G-max; unlike Megas, which any pokemon of the right species could take advantage of.

G-max is really underwhelming compared to Megas too. They aren't all that comparable. It doesn't look like G-max gives anywhere near the same benefits as a Mega Evolution. It seems like G-max don't get stat boosts or new abilities so they don't significantly improve or change the way a pokemon plays; giving very little incentive to use them. Plus, all their moves get replaced with generic D-max moves. I greatly prefer Megas, but honestly, I wouldn't want them to add a whole lot more either.

All that said, I think the only G-max pokemon I'd be interested in seeing would be for Volcarona.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom