• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Giovanni and regulations

Nekusagi

Badass office lady
Reaction score
Lately the most common paint edit complaint has been that of the constant changing of Giovanni's beverage in the boss fantasies of recent episodes (for example, removing the stem, or changing the color). Is there any kind of regulation about this that requires it to happen, or is this just a result of 4Kids being notoriously digital-paint happy? I'm positive that they're just trying to cover their asses, but there seem to be some (okay, a lot), who think it's the latter, so I just want to get the record straight.

It's done because it makes it look like that Giovanni is encouraging to drink wine (alcohol) on a kids cartoon. Even if Giovanni is an adult, it gives little kids the idea that they should drink to be like him.

Well yes, but she's asking if it's 4Kids doing it because they're weird like that, or are they being forced to by the FCC's regulations?

I'd go with FCC. 4Kids didn't have a problem with it in Mewtwo Returns.

Yeah, I would bet it's the FCC. Seen as 4Kids *added* a line with Meowth saying, "I'll drink ta dat!", I would assume it isn't their choice to paint over such things.... O-o; Not that 4Kids is actually consistent in what they do... but still.

I would think it's related to Roshi drinking bubbly water and Bulma's dad not smoking. I believe it's an FCC thing, but the amusing thing is most people get what was supposed to happen, so why bother censoring it? I mean, if J&J can get smashed after kidnapping Oak, why go through red tape and suggest they aren't drunk when it's so obvious they are? It's like Serena's "punch" on Sailor Moon. I'm sure kids have learned how anime draws drunk people... the FCC just doesn't give kids enough credit.

ImJessieTR said:
I mean, if J&J can get smashed after kidnapping Oak, why go through red tape and suggest they aren't drunk when it's so obvious they are?

Except in that case it was water in the Japanese version too. Or at least it was whatever came out of that spring...

MistyIRC said:
It's probably to keep the Y rating, just like how games make certain edits to keep an E or a T or an M rating. MR wasn't rated, IIRC.

Some game developers seem to be making edits to purposely bump their rating from T to M.

Yeah the recent trend has been M rated games sell better then lower rated games.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom