• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Girl,11, dies after parents pray instead of going to a Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen some people comment that athiests will use these cases as proof of the non-existence of God. I am an athiest. But I do not see this as being proof of any form. People should not concern themselves about that.

I originally posted this here because I was amazed at the actions of the girl's parents. It seems utterly bizarre to me that parents, fully aware of the deteriorating condition of their child, would not do everything within their power to help. You can only expect so much help before you have to help yourselves. The news story that GrnMarvl provided only serves as a further reminder of this.

These people aren't helping their children by not seeking a proper diagnosis and/or treatment; they are gambling their faith with their children's lives.

While I appreciate the comfort that religion gives to people, I just can't see how logical people would have expected the situation to turn out any different than it did.

People always scared me, but this is just disturbing. How can parents do this to their own child? It's just plain scary, this is religious mania, (well, maybe not to that extent). God gave us doctors and medicien for a reason, and we need to use them. Why not take the girl to a hospital and then pray for her well - being? Thats how most people do it.

"God helps those, who help themselves," People need to remember this.

Oy...I heard about this but did'nt know it held religious factors.

I agree, prayer AND medicine/help works best. They sound so vain, it's sickening...I wonder what they'll do when things go downhill for them. So much for being in God's hands, huh?
I, myself, am not bashing God (even thou im part of a universalist unitarian church) but people who rely in Him too much will get a kick in the teeth when he does'nt respond so to speak.

Agreed 100%

Prayer is important, but God allowed us to create medicine for a reason.

Mooshykris
Exactly. What those people should have done was prayed and then acted in harmony with their prayers. If the kid gets sick for a while, you pray for help for you and her to deal with it while caring for her as best you can. If the kid's still sick, take her to the hospital, then pray again. Most reasonable people who claim to be Christians would do something along those lines.

My thoughts exactly. They JUST SAT THERE! I can only imagine how little faith her siblings have in her parents.

One question: ARE THEY A BUNCH OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES? Why isn't anyone listened to Richard Dawkins?

If you were intelligent enough to read the article, you'd know that they did not belong to an organized religion.

I don't know how they can sleep at night, knowing that they, in a way, killed their daughter. It's like seeing someone drown in a lake, while you stand near the edge, doing nothing, although you could save them without suffering any risk of your own. It's practically murder.
Easy, they tell themselves it was God's intention for her to die.

Seriously, I haven't heard of a religion where their God or Gods say "sit there and pray while we do all the work for you"

Seriously, I haven't heard of a religion where their God or Gods say "sit there and pray while we do all the work for you"
Well, with respect to medicine, Christian Scientists do not believe in accepting any form of medical treatment.

Easy, they tell themselves it was God's intention for her to die.

I hate it when people say things like that, just to make themselves less guilty. Sometimes I'm ashamed to be Christian (or even following any religion) knowing that such idiots/bigots exist in it. God is not an excuse for your actions this time.

Many people have said this on this thread, but I'll say it again: God helps those who help themselves.

Eeyep. There's a fine line between religion and insanity, and these morons crossed it.

I wonder...is there a difference between people who expect God will cure them and people who think God will reward them for being a suicide bomber?

Yes, I'm stirring the pot.

Urgh. If I ever see those parents in the street I will stab them in the face.

And them whilst they are screaming and writhing in pain, and begging for a doctor, I will pray for them. And walk away.

You know. Just that extra bit of "HAH! IN YOUR FACE" before they die.

I wonder...is there a difference between people who expect God will cure them and people who think God will reward them for being a suicide bomber?

Yes, I'm stirring the pot.

Not really. They're both extremists in their own way.

I really wish religion would become a thing of the past. >:/

Oh my, how stupid are people? >.<

No offence to any christians, but how people can believe in God is beyhond me >.< But obviously risking a child's life is messed up.

Garantee you if you asked the parents "How do you feel knowing that you could have done something and saved her?" They would say something like "God meant for her to die" >.< Gahhhh, I hate religion so much.

Last edited:
LivingDoll said:
Risking a child's life is messed up.

Garantee you if you asked the parents "How do you feel knowing that you could have done something and saved her?" They would say something like "God meant for her to die"
Yeah. Extremism and bull**** go hand in hand. RELIGION CANNOT STAND IN FOR SCIENCE, ********S!!! God can not help you if you do not help you.

Oh my, how stupid are people? >.<

No offence to any christians, but how people can believe in God is beyhond me >.< But obviously risking a child's life is messed up.

Garantee you if you asked the parents "How do you feel knowing that you could have done something and saved her?" They would say something like "God meant for her to die" >.< Gahhhh, I hate religion so much.

Not all religion is like this; but then again, I suppose I follow my own version of Christianity, seeing how I ignore half (or more) of the Bible. The Bible Someone once said: "God helps those who help themselves", but people seem to forget this. We like to believe that God will solve all of our problems, cure our loved ones, let us get a job etc. but none of this will happen if we don't try to do something our selves. God will help, but not do the job for us. People like them need to see that God gave us doctors and technology for a reason.

Just so you know, I'm not a deeply religious person, considering that I never been to a serom after I was baptized. I just don't like it when people judge others based on idiots that happen to fall into the same category.

Religion is not evil, people just use it in very twisted ways.

Last edited:
The Bible says: "God helps those who help themselves", but people seem to forget this.
That's because it's not in the Bible. >_>

...Or actually, try Hezekiah 6:1. :D

"We know we did not do anything criminal. We know we did the best for our daughter we knew how to do."
That reminds me of this vegan couple whose infant starved to death. Not sure if this is the case, but it's close enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom