• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Girl,11, dies after parents pray instead of going to a Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Every Breaking Wave

Religion is a club
Reaction score
Associated Press

WESTON, Wis. - Police are investigating an 11-year-old girl's death from an undiagnosed, treatable form of diabetes after her parents chose to pray for her rather than take her to a doctor.

An autopsy showed Madeline Neumann died Sunday of diabetic ketoacidosis, a condition that left too little insulin in her body, Everest Metro Police Chief Dan Vergin said.

She had probably been ill for about a month, suffering symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, excessive thirst, loss of appetite and weakness, the chief said Wednesday, noting that he expects to complete the investigation by Friday and forward the results to the district attorney.

The girl's mother, Leilani Neumann, said that she and her family believe in the Bible and that healing comes from God, but that they do not belong to an organized religion or faith, are not fanatics and have nothing against doctors.

She insisted her youngest child, a wiry girl known to wear her straight brown hair in a ponytail, was in good health until recently.

"We just noticed a tiredness within the past two weeks," she said Wednesday. "And then just the day before and that day (she died), it suddenly just went to a more serious situation. We stayed fast in prayer then. We believed that she would recover. We saw signs that to us, it looked like she was recovering."

Her daughter — who hadn't seen a doctor since she got some shots as a 3-year-old, according to Vergin — had no fever and there was warmth in her body, she said.

The girl's father, Dale Neumann, a former police officer, said he started CPR "as soon as the breath of life left" his daughter's body.

Family members elsewhere called authorities to seek help for the girl.

"My sister-in-law, she's very religious, she believes in faith instead of doctors ...," the girl's aunt told a sheriff's dispatcher Sunday afternoon in a call from California. "And she called my mother-in-law today ... and she explained to us that she believes her daughter's in a coma now and she's relying on faith."

The dispatcher got more information from the caller and asked whether an ambulance should be sent.

"Please," the woman replied. "I mean, she's refusing. She's going to fight it. ... We've been trying to get her to take her to the hospital for a week, a few days now."

The aunt called back with more information on the family's location, emergency logs show. Family friends also made a 911 call from the home. Police and paramedics arrived within minutes and immediately called for an ambulance that took her to a hospital.

But less than an hour after authorities reached the home, Madeline — a bright student who left public school for home schooling this semester — was declared dead.

She is survived by her parents and three older siblings.

"We are remaining strong for our children," Leilani Neumann said. "Only our faith in God is giving us strength at this time."

The Neumanns said they moved from California to a modern, middle-class home in woodsy Weston, just outside Wassau in central Wisconsin, about two years ago to open a coffee shop and be closer to other relatives. A basketball hoop is set up in the driveway.

Leilani Neumann said she and her husband are not worried about the investigation because "our lives are in God's hands. We know we did not do anything criminal. We know we did the best for our daughter we knew how to do."

You know, I'm just as religious as the next person but when it comes to something like this, you honestly have to go to the doctor, especially when it's something like diabetes.

Religion should really have nothing to do with this, this is just a case of plain stupidity. Your kid is sick, you take her to the doctor. Common sense.

I don't have anything that I could say to that. People are idiots.

I guess this is more to spark a debate on religion, but this is barely notable news. (Imagine, front page headline: "Man dies in car Accident")

God helps those who help themselves. While prayer helps, it can't replace medicine.

This reminds me of the story of the devoutly religious man sitting on his roof during the flood. He prays to God to send the floodwaters away. A man on a boat comes by and offers him rescue, but the religious man says God will save him. The waters rise, and another man comes on a boat to rescue him, but the religious man again says God will save him. Eventually the waters rise high enough to drown the man, and when he gets to Heaven he asks God why he let him drown. God replies "I sent you a man in a boat twice, what more did you need?"

Well of course she died! They missed all sorts of steps: have the elders from their church visit, the said elders are the ones supposed to pray over her, as well as anoint her in God's name and they pray. It would've been a two-in-one job, too, 'cause if she sinned (goodness knows just sitting here everyone is) she's automatically forgiven.

And for cripe's sake, no one get insulted for that, it's a prod, get over it, everyone reading the article and anyone who replies to the article will say something sad or call them stupid anyway. I say it's not religion exactly to blame, because it's clear that these two people have, honest to goodness, mental problems. I'm not trying to be mean or anything. But it takes a lot to be as clearly delusional as they were to do this.

They let her die. You've lived under a rock if you think things work out like fairy tales. I've seen these people from every background, belief system, and even fandoms (Digiclipse for one, and I'd list names but I'll refrain) : "believe it and it'll come true". No it won't. If it does, it's not from God responding to prayers, or your wishes, that made it happened. I'm not wanting to diss on religion here. I'm dissing on these two people who blindly let their daughter die. They knew she was sick. When you're kid is throwing up, you take them to an effing doctor. When you're kid had all the symptoms they listed FOR A MONTH, you should have all your kids taken away and the sick kid taken to a hospital if she's even alive. No one in their right minds would have done that.

I feel horrible for the little girl, and her siblings and friends.

Oh joy, another article for atheists to use as a weapon. Now they can all be like "God didn't save her, so He ain't dare at all!!!111!1!!1" And, another article about people lacking common sense. The quality of news is going so downhill.

I don't see why they couldn't take her to the doctor and pray for her well being ._.

It's like what all my religion teachers say: "You can ask God to let you win the lottery, but nothing will happen if you don't buy that lottery ticket"

Doubt I need to explain the analogy.

My first instinct is to A) rant and rave, B) slap the parents, C) get the rest of the kids taken from them.

A thought has occurred to me: perhaps they couldn't pay for treatment, and are just dragging God into it. Diabetes isn't really one of those things that just go away by itself. Maybe that's why they prayed without sending her to the doctor. Maybe they couldn't do anything else (or at least, they felt they couldn't do anything else).

One question: ARE THEY A BUNCH OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES? Why isn't anyone listened to Richard Dawkins?

God helps those who help themselves. While prayer helps, it can't replace medicine.

I couldn't agree more, my friend. You summed up everything in two sentences while every else tried to explain it in several paragraphs.

Truly. A combination of prayer (if you believe in that kind of thing) and medicine will be the most effective.

I don't know how they can sleep at night, knowing that they, in a way, killed their daughter. It's like seeing someone drown in a lake, while you stand near the edge, doing nothing, although you could save them without suffering any risk of your own. It's practically murder.

What worries me most is that if those other kids get sick, guess what? They're gonna die too because the parents won't take them to the doctor either!

I doubt that. These cases are often few and far between, I would think.

Truly. A combination of prayer (if you believe in that kind of thing) and medicine will be the most effective.

Agreed 100%

Prayer is important, but God allowed us to create medicine for a reason.

Mooshykris

You know, I'm just as religious as the next person but when it comes to something like this, you honestly have to go to the doctor, especially when it's something like diabetes.
I agree. I would always go to the doctor and pray instead of just praying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom