• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Give the player a love interest!

Giving the player a love interest might be interesting, but depending on how it's played it could also be the moment the game franchise jumps the Sharpedo.

Having said that....as an old-time die-hard shipper....I would love to see them introduce some things like this. Hell, give us multiple love interests that we can pick from. Have it all tie into the greater plot somehow. Make a Pokémon RPG with a much grander plot than ever before.

this would never happen because you would get talk like this
if you play as a boy
Hey honeybee buy me some shoes

yes/no

no: aw are you sure ? yes/no

yes:aww i love you

if you play as a girl

hey sexy, wanna make out

yes/no

no:aw are you sure yes/no

yes:i love you

if you anwser no you will just get the question :aw are you sure yes/no

That is pretty typical for a Pokemon game. :/ (It makes me wonder why they even bother asking "Yes/No?" for a task you'll be forced to do anyway) If they were to put in a love interest, it probably wouldn't be optional for those of us who detest the prospect.

Aren't May/Brendan, Dawn/Lucas, and Ethan/Lyra already love interests? Mars and the daycare lady certainly think so.

EDIT: Fixing something.

Old people think that everyone is a couple. They imagine everyone having sex to blunt the fact that they'll never have any again.

Having said that....as an old-time die-hard shipper....I would love to see them introduce some things like this. Hell, give us multiple love interests that we can pick from. Have it all tie into the greater plot somehow. Make a Pokémon RPG with a much grander plot than ever before.

As long as I'm not shoehorned into B.S. plot devices I don't want to play though, and am able to skip the whole love-interest thing, I'd be okay with it being thrown in for the fans who want it...

That being said, I seriously doubt it happens... as it has been said previously in this thread, though the games have a much wider demographic, the target audience is still the kids. And the series' main selling point has never been plot... it has always been the result of Game Freak/Nintendo's exploitation of our love of the boy-and-his-dog relationship... and our love of watching cute little creatures turn into powerhouses...

I would very much dislike this. You are a trainer, the most important thing to you is Pokemon and being a Trainer. (And helping people, but that sorta just happens because you are a good person, you aren't going out to save the world, that just happens.

Like others have said, it seems "cute" as first glance but really, I don't want to be forced into some "love interest" subplot. FFX was annoying as it is...I'm fine if it's optional I guess.

Haven't posted in this thread in a while, but with the recent information about the player characters being older, I don't see why this couldn't be implemented.

Maybe not something over the top, I think if your rival or the other player (character who gets the Pokemon weaker to yours) had a crush on your character it wouldn't be that bad. Then again, this is giving the PLAYER a love interest, not another NPC.

Haven't posted in this thread in a while, but with the recent information about the player characters being older, I don't see why this couldn't be implemented.

Maybe not something over the top, I think if your rival or the other player (character who gets the Pokemon weaker to yours) had a crush on your character it wouldn't be that bad. Then again, this is giving the PLAYER a love interest, not another NPC.

Haven't we known they were older for almost a month?

My question to those who support this love interest angle. How would it bear any relevancy to the plot?

Reading about 4 pages, I'm still not sure. But seeing as the main target audience are just 6-12 year olds..
Actually no,no. I don't want to have a forced love interest it would just be like someone having an arranged marriage.And its also weird because the characters are only 10 years old. It's annoying enough having Brendan,Ethan and the people in your Pokegear/Pokenav ring you up about the time about they saw RAYQUAZA fly in the sky. Or that their RATTATA is the best RATTATA out of all RATTATA's. But it's entirely up to GF, if they really want to try something different let them do it, even if they fail. However, I don't think this will happen anyway unless crazy Pokeshippers are gonna buy copies of the game.

There must be a reason why GF are making the new players older then usual. Maybe this is one of the reasons.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom