• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Give the player a love interest!

My question to those who support this love interest angle. How would it bear any relevancy to the plot?

I don't even support it and I can answer that. It depends on what the plot is. The love interest could be involved with the evil team (either helping you or a member of the team that switches sides.) You going for the gyms could be explained as trying to impress your love interest, which would explain why you're older.

I'm not saying these are good ideas, but the way you said it made it sound like it's completely impossible for it relevant at all. So yeah...

Well, I wouldn't mind subtle hints towards the player character and their rival or love interest person. Full-on nightly serenades? Lol no.

I'm thinking the characters would interact like the player characters and their rival did in RSE and DPP, except more friendly.

Last edited:
And if you and your love interest are in the daycare centre at the same time, a mysterious egg appears, we have no idea how it got there, but your love interest had it, you will take it yes.

If the player is supposed to be older, then it isn't unheard of that a love interest would be present. But, it wouldn't be necessary. Since all pokemon battles and training is something you do on a lone journey, then there is no real purpose to a partner whether platonic or romantic.

It would just be a little interesting addition to the game. And perhaps it would someone in the game that you could regularly have in game trades with.

The character's are older and there is a chance, But I highly doubt it. Mainly because you probably wouldn't have a choice on who you want your love interest to be. You'd be forced into a relationship with the male character if your a girl and the female character if your a guy. Also, the game really only has yes/no questions, so a conversation between the characters would probably be like this:

"Hey, you want to go to the park with me? [Yes/No]"
If you say yes, you'll just go to the park together, If you say no, he'll keep on asking you the same thing until you say yes ¬_¬

And if you and your love interest are in the daycare centre at the same time, a mysterious egg appears, we have no idea how it got there, but your love interest had it, you will take it yes.

Lol.

Now that the player characters are older, will we finally 'find out' how those eggs appear in the day care center?

YES! The main character TOTALLY needs a love interest. Then Bowser can abduct her and keep her held hostage in the castle! Pokemon 2010! Wait? That's Mario you say? And having your character fall in love with another character would be pointless? oh I understand.

Okay, let's assume for a moment this rumor about KOTOR based decisions influencing the game is true. A love interest could work with that. It would lead to some very nice character development if done right. However, if the system is the same as it has been these last 14 years, a love interest is worthless.

1. Any love affairs wouldn't make the game more interesting at all to me. Totally subjective.
2. Shipping is crap and something entirely created by the fanbase, unless they will start to try to please fans, it isn't a reason why they should put this kind of stuff into the game.

To 2: WHAT HAPPENED TO THE GAME FREAK WE KNEW AND WERE ANNOYED AT BUT STILL LOVED??????!!!!!!!!!

Lulz.

Relationships will really make the game crazy......... In a weird way. Not much to add.

If the love stuff is interesting, then yes. But I highly doubt Game Freak would do this outside of a brief sentence or something.

If we don't get a love interest for the player character, I'm sure we can still ogle pics of any attractive female Gym Leaders.

If we don't get a love interest for the player character, I'm sure we can still ogle pics of any attractive female Gym Leaders.

But *gasp* what if they're all male?!
It's gonna be a loooooong wait till Gen VI for the guy outside Celadon Gym. And me.

Oh my...Thats a frightening thought (having to be forced into love)
Plus, i rather wouldn't...annoying talking scenes? I can handle that, but the inevitable sappy stuff is killing it for me.

Plus, It would be a kick in the face to the GLBT community :/

Plus, It would be a kick in the face to the GLBT community :/

And if they did include both genders as options, kids would be too immature to handle it and parents would complain. It's a lose-lose situation.

Kids would be immature about any love interest in Pokemon, as a matter of fact. I highly doubt a game like Pokemon could pull off romance very well, because no matter what they'd do, their target audience would just be giggling about it.

Event Horizon said:
But *gasp* what if they're all male?!
It's gonna be a loooooong wait till Gen VI for the guy outside Celadon Gym. And me.

Pokelova said:
Although it's unlikely and it would seem kinda sexist, I wouldn't really care too much if they were all male.

To Pokelova, I agree. D8 And to Event Horizon, that means that the Elite Four would be an all-Amazon brigade!

I think it's better to make up your own love interest. D: I'd want White-kun to fall for the hottest male Gym Leader Black-chan, but that's just me. Everyone will want a different love interest.

And if they did include both genders as options, kids would be too immature to handle it and parents would complain. It's a lose-lose situation.

Kids would be immature about any love interest in Pokemon, as a matter of fact. I highly doubt a game like Pokemon could pull off romance very well, because no matter what they'd do, their target audience would just be giggling about it.

Agreed..I personally would be offended not to be able to choose a male, thus hindering my in game experience (although id rather not have any romance in games)

The target audience really holds back a lot of potential...
But the MAIN problem i see is Parental backlash from any sort of relationship--whether it acknowledges a same gender or opposite gender partner.

Mom: watcha doin Billy?
Billy: mah damn GF caught a marill mum. i oughtta slap a ho
Mom: BILLLY!*snatches game away*

Immaturity in kids+parents= DISASTER

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom