• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Give the player a love interest!

So you're telling me, that as a player avatar, being forced into a love interest with a single character, heck, even if it isn't forced, only allowing you to have that one love interest even if you don't want them, or you want someone else.

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying you can chose which character you want to ship the P.C. with, and if you even ship it with anybody. If you want to ship a gym leader, by my plan you could. If you want to ship the other charecter, you could. If you wanted to ship anyother major goodguy, you can. If you want to ship nobody, you can.

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying you can chose which character you want to ship the P.C. with, and if you even ship it with anybody. If you want to ship a gym leader, by my plan you could. If you want to ship the other charecter, you could. If you wanted to ship anyother major goodguy, you can. If you want to ship nobody, you can.

Not half-bad.

Really? Well, in FireRed/Leafgreen, they didn't care about the little kid's age when you ran into that girl whose bikini got stolen by some Pokemon. And I say that if you're allowed to see teenage girls with their bikinis off [which I don't exactly agree with], I'd say that you're probably old enough for a potential love interest. So let's just dump the arguments about age...hopefully?

I'm sorry Honchkrow, but... As Outrage said, you never actually saw anything and the comment probably wasn't meant to sound as suggestive as it did.

There's a difference between shipping characters and implementing an actual love interest into the games.

Well...I think it would be fine if the other player had a crush on you but you weren't necessarily in love with him/her. I wouldn't want it to be like a Ren'ai game.

Like I highlighted in my last bulbablog, I find it ironic that despite being called Pokemon, all the characterization is given to the humans. It would be nice if they could give the Pokemon you train a personality, like a real one, not a "nature" that only affects its stat value. I mean, this is called Pokemon, why do we want to focus on human love interests when we should be focusing on the relationships (a platonic one for those who have their head in the gutter) between people and Pokemon? Considering that Team Plasma's goal is to segregate humans and Pokemon, it would actually be nice if, you know, they made it so I gave a shit.

So, turn it into a dating sim then?

Last edited:
Four Words...........It's Not Very Effective.This is a pokemon game.What would we gain by doing such things in a kid friendly game like this.

So it's okay for pokemon to breed in the game but your character doesn't even have to have feelings? So what if it's a kids game. Doesn't mean they can't put it as an option though.

It's actually stunning to have a game that is completely free of love, sex, romance or anything like that and you insist that actually, let's completely terrify that fact and ruin it by making it an equal to Harvest Moon, etc?

This thread could have been different, had the OP explained why s/he wanted a love interest in the games and, y'know, generally given the thread a bit of definition.

It's actually stunning to have a game that is completely free of love, sex, romance or anything like that and you insist that actually, let's completely terrify that fact and ruin it by making it an equal to Harvest Moon, etc?

It would ruin it for you. Lots of other people would embrace the addition. It's all a matter of opinion. Even though our opinion mostly doesn't matter because the people of Nintendo and Game Freak can do what they want.

It would ruin it for you. Lots of other people would embrace the addition. It's all a matter of opinion. Even though our opinion mostly doesn't matter because the people of Nintendo and Game Freak can do what they want.

I honestly don't like the idea. It's interesting and will probably be useful, but it's just weird and too different.

So combined attacks are bizarre, even though the anime has used them countless times so you'd think we'd all be used to it, whereas a love interest has never been incorporated into the games or anime and thus would be expect to be the true bizarre aspect in the games.

Or, in a different wording, pokemon related features are weird, player character features are jsut fine.

No, I'm disagreeing with you. A love interest is just not beneficial to the game.

^^
Except if the love interest is a rival whom you can bribe with repeated kisses to the cheek into giving you all his/her stuff!

It would ruin it for a boatload of people, actually. Why do you need a love interest in the game? You don't, there is no valid reason. To staunch the fandom's thirst is the only reason I can comprehend, and even that isn't worth the salt over your shoulder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, unless anyone can tell me why a love interest is so much more important than better portraying the relationships between humans and Pokemon, particularly in this game where the main plot involves the segregation of the two, is more important, I don't see why it should be included.

If there is a love interest, since the character is 12 or something, I think it should just be a character who adresses you nicely (Cheren: "Hey there, gorgeous. Wanna battle? I'll take you out to ice cream later."), or just gives you quick smooches (Bella: "Thank you for saving me from Team Plasma! *kiss* My little saviour, you!"). That wouldn't just add to the story, it would be cute, and add to the character's character as a character! (I realize I just said that)

Last edited by a moderator:
^^
Eh, sorry mate. Was just trying to smacktalk Pokelova for suggesting sexuality to be added to a Pokemon game.

^^
Eh, sorry mate. Was just trying to smacktalk Pokelova for suggesting sexuality to be added to a Pokemon game.
I never mentioned sexuality in my post.

So combined attacks are bizarre, even though the anime has used them countless times so you'd think we'd all be used to it, whereas a love interest has never been incorporated into the games or anime and thus would be expect to be the true bizarre aspect in the games.

Or, in a different wording, pokemon related features are weird, player character features are jsut fine.

No, I'm disagreeing with you. A love interest is just not beneficial to the game.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don't like the idea of combination moves in the games, and you don't have to like the idea of relationships in the games. That's fine. I'm not saying you have to like it.

It would ruin it for a boatload of people, actually. Why do you need a love interest in the game? You don't, there is no valid reason. To staunch the fandom's thirst is the only reason I can comprehend, and even that isn't worth the salt over your shoulder.
Again, unless anyone can tell me why a love interest is so much more important than better portraying the relationships between humans and Pokemon, particularly in this game where the main plot involves the segregation of the two, is more important, I don't see why it should be included.
Again, I'm not saying it's needed or necessary or important. We don't NEED a love interest at all. Some people would really like it, that's all I'm saying.

Again, I'm not saying it's needed or necessary or important. We don't NEED a love interest at all. Some people would really like it, that's all I'm saying.
As a lot of people have already said there are games for that kind of stuff, this isn't one of them.

Really, there's nothing to this other than "some people may like it" unlike other features like Contests and Pokeathlon which flesh out the Pokemon World, specifically, the Pokemon aspect of it.

Oh, I know! What if you have to use your pokemon to impress the other charecter!

Oh, I know! What if you have to use your pokemon to impress the other charecter!

What point is that? Then they just get impressed by your pokemon and not you, and that sorta kills the point of the love interest.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom