• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"Glass Half Empty" corner - What don't you like about the dub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever important characters are named only on the script, and not in the actual dub episode or movie I'm watching.

Also, as much as I like lots of dub tracks and don't oppose the act of music replacing, I must admit that there's shoddy reasoning behind it. I know it's because of royalties, but I also have to disagree with the "it's what Westerners would appreciate" alibi, too. After all, anyone who's musically talented can compose for anyone. For goodness' sake, my two favorite shows had an Eastern motif to their BGM (case in point).

Last edited:
Re: "Glass Half Empty" corner - What don't you like about the dub

Paint edits and lame translations

Also, for the dub in my country; over-recycling of voice actors/actresses. Serena's voice actress had been recycled over and over for nearly 70% of the female characters ever since DP.

Looking up Serena's voice actress..you're probably mistaking her voice to be Bella Hudson/Erica Schroeder, but she's voiced by the relatively new voice actress Haven Paschall, so I have no idea why you are saying that Serena's voice actress is recycled when she isn't.

Also, for the dub in my country; over-recycling of voice actors/actresses. Serena's voice actress had been recycled over and over for nearly 70% of the female characters ever since DP.

Looking up Serena's voice actress..you're probably mistaking her voice to be Bella Hudson/Erica Schroeder, but she's voiced by the relatively new voice actress Haven Paschall, so I have no idea why you are saying that Serena's voice actress is recycled when she isn't.

Kyriaki was talking about a version that's neither Japanese nor English.

Kyriaki was talking about a version that's neither Japanese nor English.

Oh, I see. I read it wrong. I apologize.

Whenever they replace a really good track for one of their original pieces.

Ash v. Paul at the Sinnoh League had an amazing score with tracks from across the entire series, and they practically butchered it (apart from like 2 tracks) ;_;

What I didn't like about the 4Kids dub:

- Music replacement in AG's Anime dub (4Kids kept all of the Japanese OST intact in the AG Movies, though, what was up with that?).
- Calling rice balls "donuts" sometimes in the OS Anime dub, and the sandwich as well as other paint edits in the AG Anime dub.
- Lisa Ortiz as various characters of the day.
- Silly errors like Arbok --> Seviper and goofs like "It's Mr. Mimey Time!"

What I don't like about the TPCi dub:

- Awful, bland, and generic intros.
- Terrible voice acting across the board, with a vast majority of the main characters sounding way older than they actually are.
- Terrible script writing/dialogue, like "I'm gonna get me my next gym badge," "Pilfering us up a bunch of Primo Pokemon," "Alright, Froakie, time to put your foot on the gas," etc.
- The episode titles in DP and XY's dubs, like "Pruning a Passel of Pals," "The Green Green Grass Types of Home," etc.
- Music replacement in BF's, DP's, and XY's Anime dubs.
- Calling apples "berries" in the BW Anime dub.
- Calling peas and carrots "veggies" in the XY Anime dub.
- Silly errors like having Ash say, "At first, ya hated goin' inside your Pokeball" to Pikachu, calling Sinnoh an "Island," etc.

All in all, I preferred the 4Kids dub, thought it had significantly better voice acting and script writing/dialogue than the TPCi dub.

@KojiroKing Edit your post. I don't think you can link full episodes here.

Deleted my old post instead, and revised it to include only the specific scene, you all really need to see this.

Speaking of 4Kids thinking that kids are stupid, the lengths they went to censor Japanese culture truly are hilarious. Brock's donut line in the Primeape episodes never fooled me, not even as a kid. I imagine most kids realized those things weren't donuts.

Back in 2010, I would've agreed, but now...can I ask how exactly TPCi is any better about the whole food and Japanese culture censorship than 4Kids was?

TPCi still did http://i.imgur.com/B7YbMA6.jpg to the Korrina episodes recently: kanji right there, and they wiped it clean, enough said.

Not to mention, TPCi are arguably worse about censorship in the food department nowadays than 4Kids was.

Take a look at dub episodes "The Path that Leads to Goodbye" and "Splitting Heirs," because they're not just censoring Japanese culture alone, they're censoring things that everyone on the planet has eaten at some point.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3TQKpVfEvo

Apples
of all things are being called "berries" in the former episode, and in the latter episode, we have carrots and peas as being the only "veggies" on the planet now.

It's really saying something when 4Kids didn't shy away from calling vegetables by their actual names yet TPCi does:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h18_oYtu06A

Last edited:
4Kids: the scripts of Movie 1 & Chronicles, replacing onigiri in AG, driving home the fact that Sammy was Oak in Movie 4 & the butchering of Movie 5
TPCi: Can I cheat and just say everything they've done? Biggest offenders being TRio's dialogue, Sarah Natochenny as Ash & the replacement of Shinji Miyazaki's score.

Calling apples "berries" for one.

And that Amour shipping is less hinted at......
And they cut out a line where Steven asked Alain if Mairon was his girlfriend, I believe I read that somewhere.

I like the new actors for Ash, Brock, May, and Team Rocket. I hated Ash's at first but grew on it before Battle Frontier ended so no complaints there. Just didn't like how they didn't wait until Sinnoh to change actors

Bashing time...

things I hated about the 4kids dub
-the jelly filled doughnuts, and other retarded attempts to cover up rice balls
-Lisa Oritz being used to voice nearly every character (this is why I laugh when people say the 4kids dub was so great cast wise)
-Pokemon Chronicles (it's about on par with their dub of One Piece in how terrible it was)
-claiming that Arbok evolves into Seviper
-stupid paint edits
-skipping/banning the Dratini and Jynx episodes (Porigon gets a pass seeing as that episode was banned by the Japanese government from ever airing again, even in Japan)
-replacing the background music for the first 3 movies

things I hate about the TPCi dub
-the fact that it was being directed by a douche bag rapist for a while
-the unprofessional behavior that the people working on it exhibit on social media
-the exceptionally bad directing for the cast (I don't even fault the replacement VAs on this one, I blame the 3 directors that have worked on it)
-the unforgivable fansub justifying decision to start replacing the background music in the last 2 movies
-the bad rhyming that takes place every time Team Rocket opens their mouths
-not having Vic Mignogna voice Cilan in favor of the guy that played Usopp in the 4kids dub (to be fair, they had Vic play Keldeo later on)

things both dubs did that makes me wish FUNimation would come save it like they did for One Piece
-replacing the background music period. It's never a good call, especially when the music is from the games
-any unwanted jokes being added into the script, I have never laughed at a joke added in by the dub, and never will
-not dubbing the Japanese theme songs into English ones other than that one time with Meowths Party
-not streaming Japanese subtitled episodes online, even the clowns in charge of Yu-Gi-Oh are doing this
-no uncut DVDs
-episode titles with bad puns

I'm sure I'm forgetting something in those lists, but that's a few things that come to mind. Both dubs really piss me off.

What I don't like about the dub is the replacement of the original BGM that is related to the games, TPCi's replacement of the voice actors even though some voices are better now, and TPCi's handling of Team Rocket with their terrible rhyming. The music definitely makes a difference in scenes such as when Serena remembers summer camp as a child with Ash, Serena losing her first Pokemon Showcase, and Pokemon battles/ gym battles. The dubs change of the music for scenes like these made these scenes less emotional and exciting than the same scenes in the original. The voice actor replacements that stood out to me was Ash, James, Meowth, and Brocks. Ash's voice sounded much worse when they first changed his voice but has gotten much better after the middle of DP, James's voice has become worse ever since his voice changed and he got a accent from the change, I likes Meowth's old voice better than his recent voice, and Brock's voice also sounded much lower after his voice change.

The music and occasional script changes, Team Rockets script writing and dub voices being annoying, and Ash's dub voice being occasionally bad at times.

I disagree.
I have proof the cast and staff of the dub you're supporting,do not care about you or any of the fandom.
Most of which hate the japanese version and are making changes purposely.
Some of the cast have on file threatened and insulted fans for no apparent reason.
But to each their own if you choose to support them.

I disagree.
I have proof the cast and staff of the dub you're supporting,do not care about you or any of the fandom.
Most of which hate the japanese version and are making changes purposely.
Some of the cast have on file threatened and insulted fans for no apparent reason.
But to each their own if you choose to support them.

Can we see this "proof" that the dub voice actors hate us

Please do not double post, the link is not official, and stop lying!

As for everyone else, I think we should really update the rules to make sure that when speaking about the negative aspects of the anime dub, we do not attract hater trolls such as SatoshiXY10 who bash the dub like it's still 2006, and bully people who hold their own opinion. These trolls just love to demonize the dub's staff, and use links to fake articles as proof.

Please do not double post, the link is not official, and stop lying!

As for everyone else, I think we should really update the rules to make sure that when speaking about the negative aspects of the anime dub, we do not attract hater trolls such as SatoshiXY10 who bash the dub like it's still 2006, and bully people who hold their own opinion. These trolls just love to demonize the dub's staff, and use links to fake articles as proof.

The link is offiical and i'm not a troll/hater I just stated my opinion and will be doing something about it.
Also I have noted you down too since you're very interesting and naive.

And i'm not lying either. You will see soon enough.

As for everyone. I believe Uxielover defends the dub and cyberbullies new member because they are on side with TPCi and their staff.
There was a rumor that some members of Bulbapedia were corrupted but only now am I starting to believe it.
Always attacking people with dub opinions and falsely accusing them of being liars,yes the corruption theory must be true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom