• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Glitch Pokemon in Gen VII (in particular, Glitch Mew)

The Outrage

Reaction score
So how do you think (the less volatile) Glitch Pokemon will be treated when you try to transfer them? Realistically, Bank should just not recognize them and reject them, however there is one very viable Glitch Pokemon--Mew. Technically, it is a real Pokemon, but the way it was obtained was through a glitch, meaning it shouldn't exist in that game.

Nintendo is hosting Gen I Mew events where Mews are traded into the Gen I VC games. Do we know if these Pokemon have unique ID and OT, or is there some special coding that lets them take the trainer's? If its the former, then that means Bank has a filter and will be able to assess the legitimacy of your Mew upon transfer.

Should Game Freak allow Mew obtained from glitches to transfer? Will they?

The glitches required for Mew are extremely complicated, and the resultant Mews are stable afaik, so IMO there's not much reason not to allow glitched Mews into Bank.

If Missingno gets into the system then the world is over. It's going to seep into Bank's servers and move onto Wi-Fi and hack itself into every form of technology in the world. Then it will initiate its global takeover. Stephen Hawking thinks artificial intelligence will end mankind and he won't be far wrong if Game Freak don't stop this!

The glitches required for Mew are extremely complicated, and the resultant Mews are stable afaik, so IMO there's not much reason not to allow glitched Mews into Bank.
There's not much reason not to let Gen I VC transfer to Gen VI if Bank is doing all the calculations required to change the stats, other than Game Freak not wanting to do it in light of a new generation.

If there was a way to identify the Mew as illegitimate (i.e., not having the OT for the event, which is why I was interested in that), then Mew can be blocked. Otherwise, I don't know any other indicators that could give it away.

Can't missing no evolve into legit pokemon with moves they can't normally learn? Would those be able to go through?
I haven't done it myself, but I've heard of it turning into Rhyhorn. However, I can't find any documentation on Bulbapedia, but I would be interested in those Pokemon as well.

They'll probably update the pokemon bank and figure out some way to try and stop glitches from being sent through it like how you can't trade hacked pokemon. I mean, they edited the ROMs as evident by the horrible Jynx recolor and being able to play the Pikachu's Beach mini game without having Pikachu know surf. It's possible they put markers in to be used at a later time through a Bank patch.

After all, these are the same people that referenced the Mew truck rumor in FRLG by putting a lava cookie under the truck. They know these things. Who's to say that they didn't already plan on people playing around and experimenting with the glitches so they just left them in there for fun.

The (Japanese) event Mew will be traded from other games, so it won't have the player's OT or ID. I can definitely see Bank excluding any other Mew.

If anyone restarts their (Japanese) game enough times to generate that ID, then they deserve to keep the glitch Mew. Of course, in Japan players get an XY/ORAS Mew code for downloading a VC game, so the only reason to go to such lengths for the glitch Mew is being greedy about infinite access.

Last edited:
The (Japanese) event Mew will be traded from other games, so it won't have the player's OT or ID. I can definitely see Bank excluding any other Mew.
Thanks for the clarification! I wasn't exactly sure how these old events worked in terms of OT and ID. This is quite unfortunate since this would be a relatively easy filter if Game Freak cared to do so, though I'd like to think that they wouldn't--they corrected Jynx's sprite but left all the glitches intact. Either they knew that everyone loved the glitches, or they are subtlety implying that the programming in Gen I was so messed up that even now, they don't know how to debug it.

and being able to play the Pikachu's Beach mini game without having Pikachu know surf. It's possible they put markers in to be used at a later time through a Bank patch.
I guess this answers my other question of how they will handle that mini game. I guess no plans for Pokemon Stadium, which is a shame since its the only reason I managed to get all the Eeveelutions.

Last edited:
If to be honest, I really dislike the idea of Mew being so easy to obtain. The glitch is hardly obscure.
Its not like we don't already have a Mew event for the 20th anniversary, so I don't see the issue. I'd like to have a Gen I Mew in Sun and Moon, and I'd actually prefer a Glitch one because of Gen I's glitchy history.

I wasn't aware of the glitch only working twice per save file. I guess that is okay.
I didn't even realize I could do it twice, but now that I think about the logistics of it, it makes sense since there are two trainers you can battle that'll give the appropriate values.

But then, couldn't you technically do this infinitely with the Ditto extension?

Pretty sure they'll reject most glitch Pokemon, except stuff like Mew. But I would love GameFreak forever if they canonized Missingno. as a Pokemon (with a few adjustments to make it less of an abomination) and made it transferable later down the line.

Thanks for the clarification! I wasn't exactly sure how these old events worked in terms of OT and ID. This is quite unfortunate since this would be a relatively easy filter if Game Freak cared to do so, though I'd like to think that they wouldn't--they corrected Jynx's sprite but left all the glitches intact. Either they knew that everyone loved the glitches, or they are subtlety implying that the programming in Gen I was so messed up that even now, they don't know how to debug it.

I guess this answers my other question of how they will handle that mini game. I guess no plans for Pokemon Stadium, which is a shame since its the only reason I managed to get all the Eeveelutions.
I do t think they don't know how to debug, its that the glitches are a classic gen 1 feature ( even if by mistake) the mew glitch might even be a big factor in pokemon doing so well.

Also Nintendo when remaking ocrina of time kept its glitches in too

Maybe they made a way to convert Missingno's data into a Gen VII Pokemon when it's sent to Bank. And it's the only way to get said Pokemon in SM. :eek:

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom