• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Global event failure

Kisu

Reaction score
At the time of this post players are nowhere close to catching or defeating the 1 million island scan pokemon needed to complete the 2nd global event.

The first global event of catching 100 million also ended in defeat.

What's your take on global events? Do you participate?

I took part in the first one and caught around 80 pokemon but didn't in this 2nd event.

It seems to be a way to try and keep people interested post game but IMO most people have finished with SM and moved on.

If they had better communication features or has updated the bank sooner maybe more people would still be playing.

I like the idea, but the bar's being set too high for them to have any chance of success. Catching 100 million pokémon isn't necessarily difficult ... but it was run at a time when people were either still finishing the game or beginning to look at building competitive teams. This Island Scan event has too much bloody admin to make it worthwhile (Scanning codes every day to participate? And I think I read somewhere that there's a limit to how many times you can use the same code).

The saving grace is that once you've registered then the pay off is proportionately high for very little effort. I think I'll get about 400 FC for catching one pokémon, if I remember correctly

I participated in both, cause free FC yes pls.

But I agree that the bar is just set way too high, and that these missions were done way too late. People already caught and scanned all the Pokémon weeks ago, before the Catching Pokémon mission even started, it's pretty useless to have these missions now. If they'd just started the Catching Pokémon mission on the day the games were released, it would've been a success for sure.

I think the best goal for a mission at this point is "Hatch a lot of Eggs" as breeding is the thing people are mostly doing now I think. Can't really think of any other mission they could still do either.

Having to sign up at a website separately and then transfer that 16 digit code is a big hassle too,I mean it's 2017 come on GF the internet isn't this complicated

Both of the ones they've held thus far have been poorly timed and poorly advertised, and in general, there's too much Global Link admin that you have to go through at the start. I think the players have actually done pretty well considering those factors. I contributed to both, though I put more effort into the Island Scan one.

Here's something that'd be nice: instead of having a fixed amount of FCs upon success/failure, scale the reward to a percentage of how close the goal was from being reached. As an example: instead of 200 for any fail, 2000 for pass, have 1000 for reaching 50% of the goal.

At least the Island Scan mission was more interesting than just "catch random Pokemon" like the first one was. Still, Island Scan is something they KNOW you can only use once a day. So across the two weeks it ran, assuming every player caught one Pokemon each day (which in and of itself requires scanning 5-10 QR codes) that would have required over 71,000 players participating. How many did we have this time or do we even know that?

...At least this time, the goal wasn't missed by THAT much. A good goal should be feasible but challenging, and unless/until you have hard data to go by that's a hard thing to predict.

I think that the complicated part of the Festival Plaza and the fact that you have to jump through all of these hoops just to register your part of the mission is definitely a big factor as to why the past two global missions have failed. I thnk another factor is that the only reward we get for completing these missions is a crap ton of FC, which can only be spent in the Festival Plaza, is another factor.

In my opinion, TPCI needs to lay out bigger prizes on the table in order for people to actually care about contributing to the global mission. For example,they could have the completion prize for the next global mission be a set of Mega Stones currently unavailable in SM, or maybe a Mythical or regular Pokémon with a move that species can't normally learn. It all boils down to TPCI needing prizes more exciting than a bunch of FC in order to encourage participation.

For the first one, I got some pokemon. But when I discovered that a bunch of eggs I hatched doesn't count for that, I didn't really try at all. I mean, yes, I hatched, not captured, but really? Why not just GET pokemon in general, not explicititly capture a bunch? Pokeballs cost money, you know?
For the second one... it came on a very bad time. About 2 days after I had captured all the Island Scan Pokes, that was announced. I did help, captured about 20 of them. After a while, however, I got tired of capturing the same pokemon I already had, so I stopped around there. If there was more variety, or if they had more reason to capture multiples of them, I may had continued, but...
Anyway, I do like the prizes. Some FC really doesn't look like too much, but people may not be knowing about how much having a 5 stars Rare Kitchen can help. Using 300 FC, you can level up a pokemon by 9 levels, if that pokemon isn't level 90+. So, train a pokemon up to lvl 89, and then you can completely skip to lvl 98. That helped IMMENSELY when leveling up my shiny Metagross for some hyper training.
(BTW, if anyone wants to have a 5 stars Kitchen, you can talk to my char and ask for a recommendation, I've left my 5 * Rare Kitchen as my favorite. It will cost you 1500FC for that, but still)

I dunno, I tried to help out with both, but I didn't really know what was going on the first time around so I didn't join in until like a couple of days before the end of it, and by then I had already caught a bunch of Pokemon before registering for the event so... The second one I joined in from either the first or second day and I caught a bunch, like 2-3 per day (using the 20pt codes on the Bulbanews article about the event), but that one was really annoying. QR Scanner and Island Scan are annoying~ Also I think your rewards should scale. I kept coming back to check on my progress after catching 10 Island Scan pokemon and it still said the 400-4,000 range or whatever it was, so at that point my enthusiasm waned a lot because it didn't really matter what effort I put in, as an individual.

Friend Coins are useful alright ... eventually. I think the point in getting hold of facilities from Plaza visitors was to encourage trading and connecting - a good old Pokémon staple, nothing wrong with that - but given that getting hold of the damn things is random in the first place, that equals a lot of time to get hold of something you might want to use regularly.

One of the biggest problems is the timing of these events. They set out an event so early on after the games came out that a lot of people were still probably finishing up the storyline. There's also the issue of how they're setting the goals so high when people are still getting the games and experiencing them for themselves.

And then there's the Festival Plaza, which is kind of tricky to enter a mission compared to the PSS. The prizes are good and useful, but I've basically lost interest in the Festival Plaza once I found out that the EV resetting meals wouldn't work with Pokemon at maximum friendship. I was spending a lot of time trying to improve the Festival Plaza only to be disappointed in it. I'd say that they'd need to reduce the goals a bit at least to see if that would help with the missions being a success.

The bar was set awfully high. With the amount of cut-scenes in the games in addition to real life obligations, I just don't have that kind of time to be catching Pokemon. It will get worse when the bank update hits, I will just breed what Pokemon I want to use and not even bother with ingame captures.

The goals are too high with too many hoops to jump through and not a big enough incentive. I really wish that GF would drop the Global Link at this point. The fact that you have to go to a webpage to opt in is ridiculous at this point. And don't even get me started on the Festival Plaza, the biggest pile of trash that GF has ever created.

I kinda laughed when I saw how much they lowered the goal from the first event to the second one. I guess they figured out the problem but still overestimated how many people were playing (and underestimated how many people just wouldn't bother with the second one after seeing how far away from completing the first one we were).

So it seems the goal of the next Global Mission is going to be to trade a lot of Pokémon over the GTS.

I'm afraid this one is doomed to fail again. Could've worked earlier when lots of people were trading to complete the dex, but most people are already done with that. Trading a lot of Pokémon over Wondertrade would've worked better probably.

Trading through the GTS? Really?
If it were to be via Wonder Trade, I'd be able to do that alone, but through GTS...

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom