• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Global Link for Generation V games to shut down Jan. 14: To be replaced by Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Global Link for Generation V games to shut down Jan. 14: To be replaced by Genera

I've never used the Global Link, mainly due to the fact that I live in an area that has no Wi-Fi at all (I only have cable internet), and I have no friends in real life who play the Pokemon games, so it will not affect me at all.

Re: Global Link for Generation V games to shut down Jan. 14: To be replaced by Genera

I'd love if they brought back the Berry Pots in X & Y, it was just much easier and convenient to keep track of your berries.

I'd rather not be limited to such a small amount. Give us greenhouses or something.
They could make a whole pseudo-minigame based around Berry farming like in the Dream World, just in XY. Some guy gives you his farm (like those crazy people who let you manage the Safari Zone and Join Avenue or have a Villa), and you expand it and grow Berries there.

Harvest Moon in my Pokemon? All of my yes! (Also means of in-game berry growth is a HUGE do want)

I've never used the Global Link, mainly due to the fact that I live in an area that has no Wi-Fi at all (I only have cable internet), and I have no friends in real life who play the Pokemon games, so it will not affect me at all.

Typically you get Wi-Fi from your own router, not the area you live in. Even if you don't get a router, you can get the Nintendo Wi-Fi Adaptors which you plug into your computer.

I think I understand why they're doing this: to basically sever any real connection to Gen 4 games. you know how for a long time, Cofagrigus, Nosepass and Probopass couldnt be put on the GTS? Eventually, Confagrigus was allowed on, but Nosepass and Probopass were not. That's when I realized they would have to do what they are doing now. I wouldnt be surprised if the GTS became either inaccessible to Gen 4 games, or if a new, second, better GTS was made along side.

Because it seems like they can resolve a lot of issues with their online content, but not so long as 4th gen needs to be interacted with.

Gotta say, I'm surprised that they decided to close the entire Global Link for 5th gen. Hopefully 6th gen's will be better, 5th gen's was too tedious and unrewarding.

Question, does this mean that I'll have to re-register my username for the X/Y Global Link? Let's say my B/W Global Link username is "Fennekin", does this mean that when the X/Y Global Link opens, anyone will be able to get that username or will it be automatically mine since i used it before?

Not surprised that it's going. I never really used it because of my slow connection and being paranoid of getting DCed and leaving my pokemon in the dreamworld for too long. Not to mention all the other issues I had with the game promotions (Never did get that Umbreon I won :|)...so yeah, this really isn't a big loss for me.

However, it kind of sucks that a semi-major feature from Gen V is being nixed. I mean even though it was optional for the most part, Fennel going on and on about the Dream World is going to seem weird to new players or those who decide to restart the games. I know they're doing it to most likely open up server space for all the online stuff X/Y has...but it just seems a little too soon to get rid of everything even if it won't shut down completely until January.

I really do hope that X/Y some how integrates the online play into the actual game and makes more things accessible on the actual game then having to rely mostly on separate sites. But I highly doubt it will happen.

I think I understand why they're doing this: to basically sever any real connection to Gen 4 games. you know how for a long time, Cofagrigus, Nosepass and Probopass couldnt be put on the GTS? Eventually, Confagrigus was allowed on, but Nosepass and Probopass were not. That's when I realized they would have to do what they are doing now. I wouldnt be surprised if the GTS became either inaccessible to Gen 4 games, or if a new, second, better GTS was made along side.

Because it seems like they can resolve a lot of issues with their online content, but not so long as 4th gen needs to be interacted with.

Um...it's just the Global link...the GTS is staying open:

Bulbanews said:
The GTS will not be affected by this closure, except that the trade history will no longer be viewable. Random Matchup Rating Mode will be shut down, although Free Mode will still be available.

Question, does this mean that I'll have to re-register my username for the X/Y Global Link? Let's say my B/W Global Link username is "Fennekin", does this mean that when the X/Y Global Link opens, anyone will be able to get that username or will it be automatically mine since i used it before?

From the wording of the announcement ("...will be able to carry over certain achievements and records [...] if they register for the new Pokémon Global Link using their existing user name.") it seems that way. However, it's been so long since I registered that I forget if it just automatically uses your Pokemon Trainer Club username when you do.

From the wording of the announcement ("...will be able to carry over certain achievements and records [...] if they register for the new Pokémon Global Link using their existing user name.") it seems that way. However, it's been so long since I registered that I forget if it just automatically uses your Pokemon Trainer Club username when you do.
Well that sucks! What if someone registers your username before you do? Do they get your achievements and records?

Typically you get Wi-Fi from your own router, not the area you live in. Even if you don't get a router, you can get the Nintendo Wi-Fi Adaptors which you plug into your computer.

I know, but my mom refuses to buy one because wireless internet is "too expensive", and I cannot find any Nintendo Wi-Fi Adaptors anywhere I go, not even at GameStop.

Well that sucks! What if someone registers your username before you do? Do they get your achievements and records?
Maybe they reserve that username to your Trainer Club account? I agree though, it seems like a poor way to set it up.

I was expecting a new Global Link for gen VI but I was hoping they wouldn't shut down the old one for the Gen V games. This makes me sad cause I actually liked the Dream World. Though it did have it's problems, like being the only way to grow berries in the game so I hope the new one improves on the Gen V one. I do hope the new one's better, no 20 hour wait time would be nice , but I can understand them keeping that to slow down the amount of traffic on the site. Please no 1 hour time limit. I mean I can get a time limit , but 1 hour was way too short to do everything. I'd prefer it if there was no time limit, but maybe 2 hours or 2 would be better too. Another problem with this is if someone were buy a Gen V game used, then they wouldn't be able to access all the online features and meaning they could fully experience key parts of the games. If you need berries after this then you're pretty much screwed. I hope that there's some sort of berry growing system built in the game for Gen VI instead of having to grow berries online.

Well time to go gather as much berries as I can from the Dream World and change my Pokedex/C gear skin before it closes.

2jcac1f.png
There was somebody still using it?

I kinda hoped they'd keep it around. I guess it's time for me to go back to the Dream World and collect all I can before it closes. havent connected B2/W2 but now I think I will connect Black 2 and get everything I can. I'll just have to pick my favorite C-gear skin as a final choice for my games when it does close.

Global Link for Generation V games to shut down Jan. 14: To be replaced by Generation VI Global Link

The Pokémon Global Link for Generation V games will be shutting down on Jan. 14, 2014. Services will be phased out starting after the October 2013 maintenance. It will be replaced by a Pokémon Global Link for Pokémon X and Y.

Read more on Bulbanews
YAY!!!! Its gonna be better!

Oh no :[ I actually liked Dream World a lot. They better let us keep our decorations in the house for XY.

However it says it's going into maintenance in October 1-12 and closing in January 14, so I have a few more months to still play and transfer all my berries to W2.

I was fearing this and not for the berries. I was fearing this for the Pokemon.

All I want is a DW Golett or two and I've been slowly working towards that goal; guess I'll have to step it up a bit. But yeah, kinda figured that this would be happening. =/

Maybe they reserve that username to your Trainer Club account? I agree though, it seems like a poor way to set it up.

It uses your Trainer Club username....so as long as its associated with the same trainer club account I assume there's no problem.

No no no no no! Not the medals! I love to collect medals, they're little achievements; I need to start asap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom