• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Global Trading Sequence: Offer the Pokémon Wanted By the User Above You

GiratinasEmbodiment

Herald of Antimatter
Reaction score
Since no one in the Written Word is interested in Gym Development, let's make a forum name for myself with something a little... simpler. Hope I got my location and categorization right this time.

Copied from the TV Tropes article #ChainOfDeals
Alice needs something from Bob, but Bob wants Alice to get him/her something from Carol, who wants something from Denise, etc. etc. etc.
  • In Pokémon games that let you trade with people online, you can do this kind of trade with real-life players all over the world - with enough careful thought about what people might be willing to trade. In about a dozen trades, you can exchange a level 6 Magikarp for a level 100 Mewtwo. (Eventually the GTS managed to get filled with people offering low-level common Pokemon for level-100 legendaries, and the other way around.)

After finally figuring out that the Pokémon Home GTS defaults to "don't show me people who are offering a Pokémon I don't have", I have personally sacrificed several Legendary Pokémon in order to chain-trade for an Own Tempo Rockruff and a Dusk Form Lycanroc so I can have a Dusk Form Lycanroc in Generation VIII without transferring mine up from Generation VII. So I understand full well that no, sacrificing a Legendary Pokémon for a relatively common Pokémon is not as absurd as it seems. Least of which because Legendary Pokémon are guaranteed encounters, so it's a lot easier to catch a Necrozma and trade it for a Cryogonal than it is to actually catch a frickin' Cryogonal.

So, let's make a forum game out of it! Please, don't go out of your way to hound someone because they suggested something appealing. This isn't a forum for "I have this Pokémon, I want this Pokémon", it's making a game out of a #ChainOfDeals.

DA RULES
Offer up a Pokémon that meets the criteria of the request posted by the player above you.
-Assume a fantasy GTS system where any Pokémon can be traded, held items are an option, evolution by trade will be set off by the trade, Mega Evolution is a thing, Mega Stones are allowed to be traded, Mythical Pokémon are not prohibited, Legendary Pokémon are not Shiny-locked, Abilities are listed, and the Gigantamax Factor is marked. (I don't know whether the Gigantamax Factor is marked on the Home GTS, but a quick search for "Charizard" didn't show me anything.)
-List your Pokémon's species, form (if applicable), gender (if it is a two-gendered species), level, nickname (if you want to give it one), Ability, held item, and whether it has the Gigantamax Factor (if its species or its evolution is capable). If Held Item or G-Max factor is not listed, assume none. In the interest of not excluding people who don't min-max, natures are assumed to be unimportant on all fronts.
-Kyurem, Necrozma, and Calyrex are still not to be traded while fused.
-Z-Crystals still don't go through with a trade.
-Legendary/Mythical Pokémon besides Phione, Manaphy, Cosmog, and Kubfu, and Ultra Beasts besides Poipole, are assumed to be unavailable at lower than level... 45.
-The Eternal Flower Floette is AZ's own Pokémon, and AZ is not on the GTS.
-Behatted and Cosplay Pikachu are assumed to satisfy mundane Pikachu requirements.
-If there has not been a Shiny Pokémon offered up in... five messages along the chain, you are allowed to offer up a Shiny Pokémon if you're the generous sort who would trade someone a Shiny Pokémon just to make their day. Denote with a * next to the species name.
Request a Pokémon that you deem to be "lower value" than the Pokémon you are suggesting.
-List your requested Pokémon's species, gender, and level range. Requested level range may be any gap in increments of 10 (i.e. Lv. 20-50), presented as "Lv.X or above/below", or a straightforward "Any level". If you want a specific level exactly (multiples of 10 only), denote with = (i.e. Lv. 40=) If gender is not requested, assume no preference.
-Use your own judgement, and respect the judgement of others. If you don't like Lucario, you're within your rights you offer up a Lv 100 Lucario for a Ponyta if you want. If you like Milotic, you're allowed to offer a Lv 10 Milotic for a Naganadel if you want.
-At the same time, be reasonable about it. Don't be that fricker who goes "I've got a level 20 Shiny Magikarp, that's way more valuable than a level 100 Arceus, I'm gonna ask for that!" No, you're not. You're just being a prick.
-If the person above you IS being a prick, you are free to ignore their post and offer up a Pokémon that meets the same conditions they did.
If the most recent request is for an unevolved, non-Legendary Pokémon, and the requested can be sated by a Pokémon level 10 or lower, then the chain is concluded. Start a new one; offer the most battle-worthy Pokémon you can come up with, and make a request.

SAMPLE ENTRIES

A user:
Ampharos (Male) Lv. 68
Nickname: Amphy
Ability: Static
Held Item: None

Wanted: Sceptile (Any) Lv. 40-50

Another user:
Sceptile* (Female) Lv. 47
Nickname: Tilecutter
Ability: Unburden
Held item: Miracle Seed

Wanted: Kirlia (Male) Lv. 50-60

Last edited:
Hope I'm not gonna get in trouble for deleting and re-posting this, but I'd rather not just bump the thread with an otherwise empty post. If I don't get a response in a week, I'm gonna start considering deleting the thread outright because I'm starting to think people just don't want to talk with me.

Charizard (Male) Lv. 100
Nickname: Pyrrhus
Ability: Solar Power
Held Item: Charizardite X
Gigantamax Factor: positive

Wanted: Phione Lv. 80-100

I think this is a cool idea, but I'm not currently playing a Pokemon game. You did set this up to actually be able to trade Pokemon in the games, this isn't just contained on the forums, right?
Um... I explicitly said that this ISN'T for actually trading Pokémon, it is just a game on the forums. I spelled it all out in the rules.

Origin (real life): UK
Origin (game): Kalos

Wanted: Snorunt lv. 50
Edited the rules to include a way to denote exact-level requesting; I forgot that was a thing. Also, not sure why you brought up the origin mark and regional label, but I guess I didn't put anything in the rules that said you had to exclude them

Last edited:
Ah la vache, clearly I have a poor mind for what makes for an interesting game. The nature of the thread listing means that people have to be passing this by deliberately, which means it's just not of anyone's interest. I'm repositioning my Snorunt to bump the thread again, but if it goes another week without response, I'm just gonna assume no one's interested in making a game out of the GTS instead of actually having Pokémon and start asking how to delete a thread (if that's a thing).

Snorunt (Male) Lv. 50
Nickname: Snowkid
Ability: Ice Body
Held Item: Comet Shard

Wanted: Feebas (Female) Lv. 30 or higher

Nickname: Feeble subwoofer
I should not be laughing at that as hard as I am.

Rockruff (Female) Lv. 29
Nickname: Beastie
Ability: Own Tempo
Held item: Rare Candy

Wanted: Goomy (either gender) Any Lv.

...You know what, I'm gonna say the unevolved form of a pseudo-legendary is common enough to end the chain. Next poster, drop the highest-value Pokémon you can come up with, and name your price.

For the record, I'm fine with just two or three people bouncing this game off of each other until more people get involved. Don't hold off just because you're the second-most recent poster. If anyone is interested, I'm a happy man. I don't care how small that circle is, let's just try not to let this thing vanish into the fifth page if we can help it.

Ahem... Sorry to be blunt, but... the intention was to start a new chain after the request was for an unevolved Pokémon and could be satisfied by Lv. 10 or less. When the requirement is that low, disregard the Wanted Pokémon and just write up with the biggest battle-busting beast of a Pokémon you can come up with, start the situation anew. Like, ah...

Lucario (male) Lv. 21
Nickname: Redgrave
Ability: Justified

Wanted: Shinx (either gender) Any Lv.

^That^ is a request low enough to end the chain. Next poster, start a new chain, without limiting yourself to having a Shinx.

Cosmog* Lv. 93
Nickname: Lifelight
Ability: Unaware
Held item: Master Ball

Wanted: Poipole Lv. 60+

Typhlosion Lv. 59
Nickname: Infernatus
Ability: Flash Fire
Held item: Charcoal

Wanted: Kubfu Lv. 40+

I... I honestly have no idea whether to file that under "being a prick" or not. It feels discriminatory to say "you can't offer a Lv. 25- common Pokémon for a Lv. 75+ legendary but you can offer a Lv. 75+ legendary for a Lv. 25- common Pokémon". The entire point of this is to make a CHAIN of trades. But at the same time, I did say "use your own judgement" as far as deciding what to request in return for your offer.

...I think I'm gonna leave it up to the next person to respond to this thread, and we'll let that set precedent. You can either disregard Indecision's post and offer a Kubfu that meets the same requirements he was meeting, and make your own request (if you think that qualifies as "being a prick"), or you can consider the request Indecision was meeting satisfied and start a new chain (if you think that doesn't qualify as "being a prick", because I reckon starters are common enough to end a chain if the request is for 10 or lower, which Indecision's request satisfies).

More importantly, though, you don't get to request a specific ability on the GTS. You can ask for a specific Pokémon and a specific level range, but that's as much control as you have. Everything else is up to who wants to trade with you. Those are the rules for this game.

I... I honestly have no idea whether to file that under "being a prick" or not. It feels discriminatory to say "you can't offer a Lv. 25- common Pokémon for a Lv. 75+ legendary but you can offer a Lv. 75+ legendary for a Lv. 25- common Pokémon". The entire point of this is to make a CHAIN of trades. But at the same time, I did say "use your own judgement" as far as deciding what to request in return for your offer.

...I think I'm gonna leave it up to the next person to respond to this thread, and we'll let that set precedent. You can either disregard Indecision's post and offer a Kubfu that meets the same requirements he was meeting, and make your own request (if you think that qualifies as "being a prick"), or you can consider the request Indecision was meeting satisfied and start a new chain (if you think that doesn't qualify as "being a prick", because I reckon starters are common enough to end a chain if the request is for 10 or lower, which Indecision's request satisfies).

More importantly, though, you don't get to request a specific ability on the GTS. You can ask for a specific Pokémon and a specific level range, but that's as much control as you have. Everything else is up to who wants to trade with you. Those are the rules for this game.
Sorry. I wasn't so much trying to be a prick as struggling to come up with something of lesser value than a Kubfu that nevertheless has actual value. The idea would be that the value lies in what it could become rather than what it is.

Last edited:
Sorry. I wasn't so much trying to be a prick as struggling to come up with something of lesser value than a Kubfu that nevertheless has actual value. The idea would be that the value lies in with it could become rather than what it is.
True enough, but the level range did come across as a bit prick-ish. Evolution-capable legendary Pokémon are admittedly difficult to rank, but offering a Lv. 75 and asking for a Lv. 5-10 does kind of have the same weight as offering a Lv. 5 and asking for a Lv. 70+. Snivy was a sound request, especially for the reasons you offered but asking for start-of-game levels feels like you're Mulching on Kubfu a little bit.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom