• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gold or Crystal?

PS3D

Reaction score
Right, I finally beat Yellow (my first time, actually--never too late!) and now am starting on Generation II (Generation III maybe--but because of the e-Reader nonsense, incompatibility with previous generations, hostility to GameShark, we won't get into that), so the question now lies: should I play Gold or Crystal?

Before you say "Crystal" as a knee-jerk reaction, here are some things to note:

- A few years back I played Gold up to Red, could never beat him though. Had a good team built up, though, with Ampharos and a few others.
- My nostalgia heart lies with Gold. Crystal seems a bit unfamiliar (no GONG-GONG-GONG with the Shellder at the bottom of the sea)
- There were some additional things to do to Crystal, such as catching Suicune (sp?) before Ho-Oh, or something like that. Don't know if I'd really like that...
- I wouldn't be too broken up if there was no Battle Tower, but it would be nice.
- I have no desire to play as the female trainer.
- I like the pose of Gold (his name is not Ethan) in Gold, not Crystal
- The battle animations were a bit annoying (I thought)
- There's no Mareep in Crystal.
- I have a GameShark 2.1, which I hope to use with Crystal--if nothing else, the Celebi event.
- I have a "Mega Memory Card", which can be used for classic Game Boy games (backup saves). That way I could use Gold in theory...but then I wouldn't have it as a trading partner.
- The batteries (clock) for Crystal and Gold are both dead, so I have to set the clock manually each time. A curse or a blessing? You decide!;-)

Thoughts?

You realize that the battery also affects saved games as well? As in, if it is completely dead then your save file will be erased every time you turn off the power. Unless soft-resetting somehow keeps the save in the memory, in which case you might be able to transfer it to / from the Mega Memory Card every time you play... I'm not sure if that'd work.
If I were you I'd just buy the fancy screwdriver / battery and replace it before starting a new game. They're real cheap on Amazon.

Anyway, I preferred Crystal, but from your post it looks like you liked Gold more (except the Celebi thing). So I'd say you should play Gold. I wonder... are the Gold and Crystal save files compatible with one another (like could you transfer the Gold file onto Crystal with the Mega Memory Card)? Because you could play Gold all the way through and then transfer it onto Crystal to do the Celebi thing.

On a sidenote, this thread makes me want to replay Crystal now. I just got a new battery so now I can finally start a new game on it. I never did complete all of Kanto or fight Red. And I never did the Celebi thing either, but I recently got a GameShark now so I can finally do that (assuming my GameShark is compatible with Crystal... I'm not sure which version of GameShark I have)

Both Gold and Crystal are in a strange state of limbo--I can save and load games, but the clock isn't remembered (like if you played it on emulator). I also managed to reset the clock for Crystal, but it remembers it when I've turned it on and off these last few times. So I don't know how it works.

The Mega Memory Card -may- be able to do GBC games, but I haven't tried it (definitely not GBA games). It won't restore to different game files, though.

However, I had set Crystal up as the "sacrifice" cart--loading it shows I have a Lv3 Pidgey, which means I probably acquired a Lv5 Totodile or Chikorita and traded it off to Gold for a worthless Pokémon.

Oh noooooo...my Gold cartridge seems to have reset itself. Like Crystal, it retains a new save game and time even after resetting it. But I have no idea how long it will last, and my game--with the beating of all but Red--is gone. Well--I guess it's pretty much a moot point, now. The plus side is, I at least recovered my brother's old Gold file off the MMC from who-knows-when...I can probably catch a Mareep to send over to Crystal.

I was going to say, Gold just for mareep. If you have the stuff to trade one over, go crystal. Also, if the batteries aren't saving the time but are saving the games they may either be counterfeit or the battery will die soon. So make sure you back up often!

They aren't counterfeit, they're just old. Gold, in particular, was bought in 2000 and hasn't changed batteries--ever. Crystal is a few years younger.

It's really no surprise that they are giving out.

My copy of Pok�mon Crystal already has the aforementioned symptom of the clock being frozen unless it is running.

Also, the only major advantages of Gold over Crystal are backward compatibility with the original Game Boy/Game Boy pocket/Super Game Boy, and that the clock reset is not disabled.

I'd say Crystal, because it has more than Gold, like it has one less roaming Pokémon, more exclusives, and many more. It also has better sprites.

Though, if judging by your nostalgia, go ahead and play Gold.

The Mega Memory Card doesn't appear to work with Crystal, even though I've reports it was supposed to. I want to put it in because sooner or later saves will stop working altogether (and not just stored in short-term memory--by the way, in the time leading up to total "disaster", does the game crash any?) and I don't want to lose what I have in Crystal. So I'm a bit anxious.

It looks like it backed up properly. The only regret I have is that I accidentally said it was DST when it wasn't, so the clock's going to get off when that day comes. Ah well, that's what GameShark is for. :)

That and my eventual Celebi.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom