• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gold/Silver/Crystal batteries

all mine still work...I wasnt aware that Gen I games could die? (well besides the fact that all games can eventually wear out) but are they susceptible to anything in particular?

all mine still work...I wasnt aware that Gen I games could die? (well besides the fact that all games can eventually wear out) but are they susceptible to anything in particular?

I'm curious about this too. My red version has been perfectly fine for more then a decade now.

Do it do it do it do it. Mine are all chillin' in the Stadium boxes.

K K K K K did it. As long as my Pokemon Stadium 2 cartridge is intact, I should be good. I always worried a little because one of my other N64 games erased itself, but Stadium has never had any problems.

The likelihood of my Red/Blue cartridges dying isn't that great, is it? I have obviously had them for many years without problems, but I have all my ol' L100s on those, and planned on leaving them there.

My crystal version's battery is shot, Gold is just hanging by a thread, and Silver was lost to the mess that is my room looon ago. xD But I don't have too much concern now with HGSS.

And I did have a bad battery'd Red version way back when, but that was when you could call Nintendo and ask them to send you a replacement. :p They gave me lots of pokemon too. x3 But pretty much, GenI games won't die for a looong time unless their battery was bad (in which case it would have died quickly after starting to play), my Red, blue, and my sister's Yellow as far as I know all still work.

And wow, I didn't realize GenIIIs could have their clocks stop working. Huh. Is there a way to replace the clock battery without affecting the save? Is it a watch battery as well, or something different? Mostly asking out of curiosity rather than necessity.

I've always wondered what the point is of migrating your gen II's over to Stadium II. It's not like you'll be able to use them anywhere else.

I started up my gold a month ago. The time was lost, but the team was still there. I was surprised with who was in there. lol

My youngest brother's gold doesn't save though, I was hoping to use it to get Pokes like Steelix and Scizor. No luck though. :(
I restarted it 3 times, saving it after grabbing the starter. At one point it WAS saving again, (soft reset until I got a female Totodial) but went I went back to it the next day, it lost it's save again.

Not sure about my other brother's silver; I can't find that. :p

The likelihood of my Red/Blue cartridges dying isn't that great, is it? I have obviously had them for many years without problems, but I have all my ol' L100s on those, and planned on leaving them there.
Your Red/Blue and Stadium batteries should likely last for decades. When a game battery doesn't have a suicidal running clock, it'll last for a really long time. My original 1987 Legend of Zelda game still saves, so there. :p

And wow, I didn't realize GenIIIs could have their clocks stop working. Huh. Is there a way to replace the clock battery without affecting the save? Is it a watch battery as well, or something different? Mostly asking out of curiosity rather than necessity.
I have no idea if changing the clock battery would affect the save file, to be honest. o_O

I've always wondered what the point is of migrating your gen II's over to Stadium II. It's not like you'll be able to use them anywhere else.
You can use them in the Stadium 2 battles, I guess... and you feel better cause you'd rather have them vegetating in Stadium than being DELETED FOREVER BAWWWW. :p

Well some games that are cartridge base and are JRPGs or adventure games usually do have a battery pack to save games but over time a battery pack can run out. It really just depends on how well the owner takes care of the cartridge whether its new or used and since I have Pokemon Silver that is used, my still works. Another thing I forgot to mention is that I have few old games from even Super Nes that still save like they will normally would despite being about over 15 years old so the reason your games saves still is that you took care of it very well. Also look above the poster above me who commented that his Zelda 1 cartridge still works and that came out way back in 1987.

I'm pretty sure Crystal didn't have the battery problem.

My Gold and Silver are dead, but Crystal thankfully is alive and kicking.

Gold: Was Dying
Silver: Had some minor save file issues, but all in all it worked.
Crystal: Dead

Replaced all three, however, this past week.

I check my silver every 2-3 month's I put it in a wrapped box o_O Not damaged at all. I beat it when i was like 10 xD

All of mine still save, I think, but the last time I checked, Gold and Crystal had lost their files. The clock in Silver had to be reset, but my file was still there, which makes me glad. It's not like I play them anymore, but Silver has sentimental value because it was the first Pokemon game that I beat the E4 in.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom