• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Golem has a BEARD now?!

Joel López

Marrow
Reaction score
Geodude, you should not have changed.
074Geodude-Alola.png

Graveler, what HAPPENED to your hands?
075Graveler-Alola.png

Golem REALLY needs to shave!
076Golem-Alola.png

What do you think of THEM?

Mostly I'm just irritated that they apparently couldn't be arsed to give Golem's change an in-depth backstory like they did for the rest of the Alola Forms. Three more bios, Game Freak. That's all you had to do.

But they seem to be based on pirates, which is an interesting idea. The beard is essentially the same joke that they made with Probopass (it's really iron filings that are attracted to their bodies via electromagnetism), which makes it a bit repetitive, but at the same time, I kind of like that there's a degree of consistency in how magnetism affects certain Rock-type Pokémon.

Golem actually became an impromptu member of my team in Moon once I realized just how badly Midnight Lycanroc sucked, and it helped me out of a lot of jams. I wouldn't have been able to get through the Mimikyu trial without its Z-Stealth Rock. So I'm grateful to it for that. And it's quite cute in Pokémon Refresh... but then again, what isn't.

I don't know why but I can't help but love this line. The typing is one I've wanted for a long time (the one Probopass should have had tbh) and I like the aesthetic changes. Even "hairy" Golem... I've always wanted the Golem line to be more interesting and this did it and I love it.

I feel like a hypocrite after ragging on Alolan Dugtrio so much. But I can't help it.

The beard is meant to invoke metallic shavings being magnetically attracted to an object.

Personally, I find the type combination to be extremely cool (if very weak to ground type moves) and Golem is a freakin taser/railgun! I like them more than I ever did I think.

Attachments

• 6B6B3088-CE1E-4A4F-8334-5F7491150E71-4873-00001480C171C360_tmp.jpg
    6B6B3088-CE1E-4A4F-8334-5F7491150E71-4873-00001480C171C360_tmp.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 69
They look better than the originals, I will give them that much.

Beyond that... can't say I'm a fan, they don't feel like anything spectacular.

Alolan Geodude and Graveler are lackluster, but I can aprectate Alolan Golem. Respect the 'stache.

I didn't care to much about them before to be honest - the transition between the three is.. I don't wanna say bad, but rather incoherent. I bet there is probably a bit of lore behind it, I need to read into that. I see the Alola Forms as an upgrade, they represent exactly what they should be: an attempt at improvement. Though the evolution between them is still weird, they look much better than their older forms.

I think they are horrible. I also think all the other Alolan forms are horrible, with the exception of Vulpix/Ninetales.

But, I'd rather have had a new arctic fox-themed Pokémon which was Ice/Fairy than having a new Vulpix.

For me, the Alola forms were a great idea who was horribly designed and implemented and thus I don't think they should exist... Even if they add more forms in later games and they design them better, these ones from SM won't be erased from existence.

P.S.: I feel the same about Megas... some are so horribly designed that I'd rather have them erased...

At least they gave us a new type combination of Rock/Electric. :)
That's its main saving grace for me. I'm not big on their designs, especially Geodude, but it is an interesting new type combo, and it adds some more diversity to the electric type not only with being part Rock but also its stats (which are pretty different from your average electric type) and with the inclusion of STAB Electric Explosion.

Not gonna lie, I think they look much better after seeing their official artwork, but even then I'm not a big fan. Don't think I'll get over my saltiness of Alolan form designs anytime soon.

They do have an interesting type combination, and Electric being one of my favorite types, so I'll give them that I suppose.

The line is one of the worst in the entire history of the franchise for me.

Looks like it's more on his chest than his face, but the mustache can't be ignored~ :p

The designs for me are kinda...meh~ Not bad but not really amazing. But it's clear what they were going for and it works~

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom