• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gonna have a mini-rant..

Cferra

Superhero!!
Reaction score
There are several issues with Bulbapedia that I want to discuss. I'm not mad or anything I just want to get my frustrations out in the open. A lot of things have been boiling up so let me just list some of the things that are really frustrating me.

I know this is wiki and everything is fair game for edit but, this is beyond that.

1.) Game titles.

Zhen and I had a talk about this issue earlier and he said it was too cluttere to post "Pokémon Ruby, Pokémon Sapphire". I say it looks better and more professional to show the full name and show the full name in the link. After all, isn't said article Pokémon Sapphire?

Evkl agreed with me about the name issue and let me continue to change that part. I still see some instances where people do not use it. It's common sense to just use the full name.

2.) Pokedex project.

What's the situation with the movelists? Are we going to keep them on the same page as the pokemon or what? It'd make sense to have the most current movepools(level up moves, tms/hms/egg moves) on there.

That's all I got for now.

L_X

I do like full names, but let's be honest with ourselves - this isn't wikipedia, it's a Pokemon site. Seriousness isn't exactly key here.

And yes, moves and such should all be on the same page. It's good to keep things organized and simple.

1.) Game titles.

Zhen and I had a talk about this issue earlier and he said it was too cluttere to post "Pokémon Ruby, Pokémon Sapphire". I say it looks better and more professional to show the full name and show the full name in the link. After all, isn't said article Pokémon Sapphire?

Evkl agreed with me about the name issue and let me continue to change that part. I still see some instances where people do not use it. It's common sense to just use the full name.

As I said before, I think as long as you show the full name once and link to it - it's silly to keep on using Pokemon Sapphire and Pokemon Ruby when it's easier, more convient, and just plain looks better to use Sapphire or Ruby. It's like if you re-did the Ash Ketchum article so that you replaced every instance of "Ash" with "Ash Ketchum". Or forced everyone to always use "Gary Oak" in place of just "Gary". It's ridiculous. There's a point where wanting to be more professional just make things more stuffy-looking.

Even professional encyclopedias don't often use the full name of something after an initial appearence in the article. Look up Albert Einstein in an encyclopdia. They'll mention his full name once, then keep on calling him "Einstein". They don't constantly go "Albert Einstein did this, then Albert Einstein did that" blah blah blah.

Similarly, they won't use the full titles after the initial mention. "Singing in the Rain" will just be shorted to "Singin'" for the next few paragrahs.

Using the full name again and again is moronic. It's like you don't trust your readers enough to have two brain cells to rub together. Not only that, but when done repeatedly and repeatedly - it just plain looks bad.

2.) Pokedex project.

What's the situation with the movelists? Are we going to keep them on the same page as the pokemon or what? It'd make sense to have the most current movepools(level up moves, tms/hms/egg moves) on there.

Agreed. The question is, though, where do we stick the Gen I and Gen II move lists and learnable TMs? What about Pokemon who learn different moves within the same generation, like Nidoran in Yellow? Or Corphish in FireRed? It's pretty complex.

And then I'm wondering what do we do about the promotional moves and Pokemon like Surfing Pikachu or Amnesia Psyduck? It's a fairly complex task, really. Not even Meowth's site has all the information across all three generations.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about mentioning the same game twice in an article. I'm talking about for each individual one. Each article that mentions the game should have the full game name and link once. That's what I'm talking about..

This is what I meant:

I meant that when you link the games the text should be like [[Pokémon Emerald]] and display the words Pokémon Emerald in the main article so it correlates with the game article

L_X

Last edited:
Sounds reasonable to me. Was none too clear in the original post, tho.

The first mention thing is 100% correct. Beyond that it's overly verbose.

What with the movelists, they'll be migrated to the GenIII page as soon as I can make a template interlinking main, GenI, GenII, GenIII, and GenIV.

Meowth346's Pokemon excludes the RGBY and GSC moves, though. He took that out of his Pokedex completely...

...unless you meant how I have what I do have, in which case it's not overly unlike what's being put on Bulbapedia's Pokemon pages right now.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom