• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Good or Bad Idea: What if Cynthia was in the next Smash Bros. game?

MetroLSD

Where Are My Donuts?
Reaction score
Since she appears in more games and episodes than any other champion it would good choice to have her as a playable character she would play similar to Red in brawl but instead would use her Garchomp, her Lucario( to act as a replacement for the one in brawl) and one of her other pokemon, what do you think and what should her third pokemon and final smash be?

Iris and Zoroark are more likely to appear in the next Smash Bros. game given their important role in the game and anime respectively. Although Dawn has a chance to appear too since BW2 is advertising older gen Pokemon, but that's unlikely because of Iris' presence and Kakuna Matata's statement that Gen IV has already past, giving the obvious statement that Lucario will not come back.

I think Red's likely to come back. Having appeared in all five generations now, I think it's safe to bet he's not going anywhere.

I will tell you that if Cynthia was in the next SSB, I wouldn't use her if I could help it. :p Definitely not my favorite character. Actually, I'd rather see Ghetsis join the likes of Bowser and Ganondorf.

Firstly, the anime has no impact on the Smash Bros. series. This is why Red was added, and not Ash.

Second, they'd have to nerf Cynthia like they nerfed Ike if she were to be added. xP

How did the anime got mixed in to this i only use the fact that she appears in more episodes than any other champs as an example on how popular she is this is about about GAME Cynthia not anime Cynthia also if a human pokemon rep like Red makes it into a smash Bros. game then why not a pokemon champion she doesn't have to replace him in the next game i just wanted to know what do you guy thought about the concept.

I'd think she'd be better as a boss or a background character. They'd probably use another PC as a playable trainer.

Jigglypuff only got that popular status because of the anime, just like Pikachu.

The reason they added Red was to have him use the starters. They aren't going to put Cynthia in for that reason. Any of the other player characters work for this reason, and if they're smart, they'll just make the opposite gender counterparts as a single character but different "costumes"

Jigglypuff only got that popular status because of the anime, just like Pikachu.

The reason they added Red was to have him use the starters. They aren't going to put Cynthia in for that reason. Any of the other player characters work for this reason, and if they're smart, they'll just make the opposite gender counterparts as a single character but different "costumes"

That's true, but popularity in itself plays a role in the choosing of Smash Bros. characters. Smash Bros. is a game where Nintendo characters, aka video game characters, come together to duke it out. Anime-exclusive characters don't belong. All of the Pokemon characters in Smash Bros. appeared in the games in some way, so they were eligible. Ash did not and never has, so he will never be included. That's what I'm saying.

Oh, and I exclude Pokemon Yellow here, because it's directly based on the anime. Adding characters from it would be like adding Mickey Mouse. Games based on movies or anything of the sort doesn't count.

That's true, but popularity in itself plays a role in the choosing of Smash Bros. characters. Smash Bros. is a game where Nintendo characters, aka video game characters, come together to duke it out. Anime-exclusive characters don't belong. All of the Pokemon characters in Smash Bros. appeared in the games in some way, so they were eligible. Ash did not and never has, so he will never be included. That's what I'm saying.

._.

This thread was about Cynthia, and my post was not at all what you're talking about in your response. Cynthia isn't an anime-exclusive character so your "anime exclusive characters don't belong" point doesn't make sense in any context since I wasn't talking about Ash. Furthermore, you were saying that Pikachu and Jigglypuff were added because of their popularity, when their popularity was derived from the anime, so the anime definitely has an impact on what game characters are popular. Finally, Cynthia herself has appeared in every set of games since her introduction. She was the Champion in DPPt, she had a cameo in the HgSs-exclusive Sinjoh Ruins event, and she appears in BW foreshadowing the World Tournament feature in BW2, and of course, appears again in BW2 in and outside the World Tournament. She's making almost as many appearances as Professor Oak, and she's not even the founder of the Pokedex, and why? Because she's popular with the fandom (and this popularity seems independent of the anime).

Though I'm not sure what her team would be other than Garchomp. The only other constants I can see from her team are Spiritomb and Lucario.

Oh, and I exclude Pokemon Yellow here, because it's directly based on the anime. Adding characters from it would be like adding Mickey Mouse. Games based on movies or anything of the sort doesn't count.

"Directly based on the anime" is a fairly inaccurate assessment given that Yellow version used the exact same plot as RGB, except with the TRio superimposed in random plot points. The way the PC gets the other starters don't even match how Ash gets his. However, at the end of the day, Yellow has more similarities to the other Gen I entries than it does to the anime.

Finally, GSC/HgSs clearly chose to take Yellow's canon in terms of Red's team.

._.

This thread was about Cynthia, and my post was not at all what you're talking about in your response. Cynthia isn't an anime-exclusive character. Furthermore, you were saying that Pikachu and Jigglypuff were added because of their popularity, when their popularity was derived from the anime, so the anime definitely has an impact on what game characters are popular. Finally, Cynthia herself has appeared in every set of games since her introduction. She was the Champion in DPPt, she had a cameo in the HgSs-exclusive Sinjoh Ruins event, and she appears in BW foreshadowing the World Tournament feature in BW2, and of course, appears again in BW2 in and outside the World Tournament.

She's making almost as many appearances as Professor Oak, and she's not even the founder of the Pokedex.

I know, I was only trying to prove that the anime doesn't have much impact, if any at all, on what characters get into Smash Bros. games.

"Directly based on the anime" is a fairly inaccurate assessment given that Yellow version used the exact same plot as RGB, except with the TRio superimposed in random plot points. The way the PC gets the other starters don't even match how Ash gets his. However, at the end of the day, Yellow has more similarities to the other Gen I entries than it does to the anime.

Finally, GSC/HgSs clearly chose to take Yellow's canon in terms of Red's team.

It still has similarities to the anime, so I'd like to not count it. Still, you're probably right. I never did actually play Yellow myself, so yeah. I just went with what I've heard and seen of it.

I know, I was only trying to prove that the anime doesn't have much impact, if any at all, on what characters get into Smash Bros. games.
Perhaps it doesn't have an impact now, but to deny that it never had an impact on the series when Pikachu and Jigglypuff are only in their position because the anime helped propel them to their level of popularity during the fad days is ridiculous.

Of course, one shouldn't extrapolate the anime's impact during the fad days to its impact today. In the case of Cynthia, her popularity in terms of "appearance" holds true in the games independent of her anime appearances. She was in BW, and obviously planned for BW2 (and appeared in Johto) long before she appeared again in the anime (which was a direct result of the games).

It still has similarities to the anime, so I'd like to not count it. Still, you're probably right. I never did actually play Yellow myself, so yeah. I just went with what I've heard and seen of it.
It's similarities are so superficial that the only "similarities" is starting with Pikachu, the inclusion of the TRio in plot points they've never had in the anime, and the chance to get the other three starters. If anything, the anime's faithfulness to the Team Galactic plot makes DP more similar to the anime than Yellow ever was in terms of plot, so its ridiculous to discount yellow, especially when the Yellow version team was incorporated into canon.

Eevee being the rival's starter wasn't even taken from the anime, and was adapted from Yellow into the anime at a later point. Yellow version was released in 1998 in Japan, while Gary's Eevee debuted in 1999 during the end of the Orange Island arc. Yellow couldn't even incorporate anything from the seventh gym onward since it was released before then.

Cynthia is already shoehorned into enough games as it is, and chances are she'd be an even bigger pushover than she is in the main series games.

I'd like it, she was the only champion so far that I had any sort of challenge with and liked. But it's unlikely. She might appear as a trophy/sticker-like object of some sort.
Maybe Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Zoroark, and even 'Hilbert' (ugliest PC name ever) with maybe Snivy, Dewott and Emboar.

Not to mention that Red was the closest thing to look like Ash, and making the opposite gender an alternate costume can't be done because of the voice issues (I really can't imagine Leaf having Red's voice commanding her Pokemon), so being a separate character is the way to go. Cynthia would be better off as a trophy like what they did with Professor Oak.

Not to mention that Red was the closest thing to look like Ash, and making the opposite gender an alternate costume can't be done because of the voice issues (I really can't imagine Leaf having Red's voice commanding her Pokemon), so being a separate character is the way to go. Cynthia would be better off as a trophy like what they did with Professor Oak.

Red was voiced by Michelle Knotz in SSB, who also played Jessie, May, the female Snivy, Manaphy, and a slew of other Pokemon in the anime. Even if they use the same voice cast in the next game, it would probably be easy to find SOMEONE who could play characters of either gender if they sounded right.

They're also ten years old, not that hard to find an ambiguously high pitched voice.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom