• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Good Things Come in Threes! [CHP3 Up]

NyaChan

ビルがある!
Reaction score
Long in progress, but finally written out. For details on the region itself as well as a few spoiler-related things, click here. Any new sprites will also be posted over there. :3

Main Characters
**Images update with each chapter, as such spoilers are in the teams if you haven't read the newest chapters**
charprof_mira.gif

Starter: Totodile
Personality: Strong, confident, and protecting of her brother. However, she can be a bit over protective and believes herself to be right more often than she really is.

charprof_scout.gif

Starter: Chikorita
Personality: A bit withdrawn and not so confident, but Scout knows his goals and goes for them, a clear idea in his head. He’s determined, but modest about it.

charprof_kiley.gif

Starter: Cyndaquil
Personality: Unlike her siblings, Kiley is completely over powering and a bit of a control freak. She wants to be in control of her situation, and will do anything for it. She has a long running dislike for Scout, and it was her bullying that gave him the dislike of battling.

charprof_lillian.gif

Starter: Teddiursa (Informally), Chikorita (Formally)
Personality: A bright and cheery girl, Lillian is a big optimist. She always looks for the brighter side to things. While a rival to Scout, she cheers him on as well, hoping for a chance to better herself by going up against him. She can be a bit gullible and naïve at times, but she’s sweet and caring.

Minor Recurring Characters
charprof_marissa.gif

Starter: Piplup
Personality: [coming whenever I'm not lazy]

charprof_lia.gif

Starter: Spoink
Personality: [coming whenever I'm not lazy]

Table of Contents
Chapter 01: Calm Waves <You Are Here>
Chapter 02: A Contest on the Beach!
Chapter 03: The First Step

Good Things Come in Threes!
--Chapter 01: Calm Waves--​

The sun shown through the window of a melon-colored haired girl’s room as night became day. Her bright blue eyes slowly opened; squinting at the light. She looked across her room over at her siblings. While a year later than most kids, today would be the day the three of them receive their first Pokémon. Their parents weren’t too keen on letting the three of them go adventuring the past year, and had forced them to stay home for another year, despite their complaints. But it had finally come; the day when they would receive their starter Pokémon and head out into the place they called Paena.

Mira, the girl with the melon-colored hair, was the first awake. Come to think of it, her parents always said she was the first to come into the world too, it was fitting that she was always the first of the triplets to wake up. She looked over to Scout and Kiley, her ‘younger’ siblings who were sleeping in the same room mostly due to the fact the room was big enough. Mira waited for a little bit, knowing Kiley would wake up next. Within a few moments, Kiley’s eyes opened a little and she sat up, the ends of her long blonde hair brushing the sheets on her bed. She sleepily got up out of bed and headed over to get dressed. Mira then turned to look at Scout, who was always the last to wake up. She didn’t feel like getting up and out of her warm bed, so Mira just continued to lie in her bed, thinking about what a great day was waiting for her.

After the three were awake, dressed, and fed, they headed over to Professor Maple’s laboratory. Professor Maple was a younger professor, only 19 years old, but she had made great advances in the studies of Pokémon psychology. The triplets headed in the door to be greeted by Maple herself, who lead them up to a table with three Pokéballs sitting on top of it.

“I don’t think I need to really explain what today means for you guys, but these are the three starter Pokémon. From left to right, they are Totodile, a water type, Chikorita, a grass type, and Cyndaquil, a fire type,” Maple explained.
“Yeah, yeah, whatever, just give me the Cyndaquil and I’m going to go,” Kiley said, impatient as ever.
“Alright, here you go,” Maple replied, handing Kiley the Pokéball with Cyndaquil in it.
“See you two losers later then!” Kiley said to Mira and Scout as she rushed out the door, her single ponytail flying in the wind.
“Don’t mind her, Scout. She’s just trying to make fun of you again,” Mira said, turning to Scout.
“I… I know…” Scout replied quietly, looking at the Pokéballs.
“Hm, which one do I want…?” Mira thought aloud to herself.
“Um… Mira…?” Scout asked after a few moments of silence.
“Yeah, what is it Scout?”
“Can… can I take Chikorita?” Scout asked, fidgeting a little.
“Sure, makes my choice all that much easier!” Mira said, smiling at her brother.
“Alright then, it’s decided. Here you go Scout, your Chikorita. And for you Mira, here’s Totodile. Also, here are your Pokédexes and a few Pokéballs,” Professor Maple said, handing the two each a starter Pokémon, a few Pokéballs, and three Pokédexes. “Since your sister was in such a rush to leave and forgot her Pokédex and Pokéballs, would you two mind trying to catch up and give her one as well?” Professor Maple requested.
“Of course, it’s no problem,” Mira answered.
“Well, then I wish you two the best of luck!” Professor Maple replied as the two left the building.​

The duo headed off into the route west of their hometown, Hixon Town. Leaving their home behind was a bit tough, but with an adventure awaiting them, and a Pokémon in hand, nothing could stop them. As the two walked through a patch of grass, they heard a shuffling sound. Mira turned around quickly to spot a Pidgey pecking at the ground.

“Ah! Here’s my chance! Let’s go, Totodile!” Mira said, tossing her Pokéball.​

Her Totodile burst out from it’s Pokéball, excited to see the world around him again, and did a little dance before striking a battle pose. The Pidgey didn’t seem to care about Mira’s Totodile, giving her the perfect opportunity to strike an attack.

“Totodile, use water gun!” Mira shouted, commanding her Pokémon.
Out of Totodile’s mouth came a stream of water, striking the Pidgey, who seemed to take a strong hit from the attack. Just as Mira was about to shout another command, Scout spoke.
“Mira, what are you doing? Don’t hurt that Pokémon…”
“What else am I supposed to do Scout? I know you don’t like fighting, but I can’t just toss the Pokéball at it, it just doesn’t work that way. I’ve got to weaken it a little. Even if you’re going to do contests, you can’t go in with just your little Chikorita the whole time, it’ll need to learn new moves, even evolve if you want it to. And the only way to do that is to battle, to train,” Mira lectured Scout before issuing another command. “Totodile, use Scratch!” She shouted, turning back to Totodile.​

However, the Pidgey jumped up and dodged by flying in the air. As it hovered over the ground, it used a gust attack, creating a little tornado around Mira’s Totodile.

“Ah! Totodile, hang in there! Use Water Gun again!” Mira issued another command.​

Once again, Totodile landed a direct hit to the wild Pidgey with a shot of water. The Pidgey fell out of the sky and struggled to pull itself back up. Mira knew this was her chance, and tossed a Pokéball. The Pidgey got sucked into the Pokéball, which proceeded to shake a little before finally staying at rest.

“Yeah! I caught a Pidgey!” Mira said, jumping up before running over to pick up her Pokéball. “Return, Totodile!” Mira commanded, holding out Totodile’s Pokéball to call it back. “Let’s keep going, Scout, maybe we’ll find a Pokémon you’ll like!” Mira said, smiling.
“I… I don’t want to hurt them…” Scout replied feebly.
“Scout, didn’t you hear what I said before?” Mira said in a huff as they walked along the path.
“Yeah I did… but still…” Scout replied.
“Alright, fine, get your butt kicked at your first contest then, and then keep loosing because you refuse to train or capture any new Pokémon. That’s not my problem,” Mira said, turning her nose up.
“No, I don’t want to lose…” Scout reflexively shot back.
“Then you’ll have to battle. There’s a difference between fighting and battling, Scout. Battling is something that can be good, fighting isn’t,” Mira explained.

The two walked a little further with nothing eventful happening. The route was quiet and calm, which was a nice start to their journey. However, as they turned towards the north, the two herd another rustling sound. Mira once again looked around to try and find the Pokémon that was nearby. After a few quick looks, she spotted a Sentret peaking through the grass.
“Alrigh—” Mira began, pulling out her Pokéball.
“No, I want to catch this one,” Scout said, stepping in front of Mira.
“O… Okay then, good luck!” Mira replied, stepping back.
“Come out, Chikorita!” Scout said, throwing his Pokéball.
Chikorita emerged from her Pokéball, and quickly took a battling stance.
“Chikorita, use Tackle!” Scout told his Chikorita.
Chikorita took a running dash towards the Sentret, who began to run away, however Scout’s Chikorita rammed into it, making a strong hit.
“Alright, use Razor Leaf now!” Scout shouted.
His Chikorita spun the leaf on her head, shooting smaller leaves at the Sentret. Each little leaf cut the Sentret, who then fell over onto the ground. The Sentret made attempts to get up, though it kept loosing its balance.
“Throw the Pokéball now Scout!” Mira said.
“I know! Go, Pokéball!” Scout replied, nodding before tossing his Pokéball.​

The ball shook a little bit, and again came to a stop, confirming his capture. Scout headed over and picked up his new Pokémon with excitement, though he didn’t announce his capture like his sister. He called Chikorita back into her Pokéball, and the two continued their trek to Aurora Town, which waited a short distance ahead.

Just as the town was in sight, however, the two heard yet another rustling noise. Both Scout and Mira looked around, expecting a Pokémon; however they found their sister Kiley.

“Hmph, seems you two found me. I was wondering how long it would take you two to find me. I realized I forgot all that stuff from Professor Maple when I went to go catch a Pokémon, so I figured you two would have it for me,” Kiley said, with an attitude in her voice. “Now, come on, hand it over.”
“Here you go, Kiley,” Mira responded, handing over the Pokédex and Pokéballs.
“Well then, why don’t we have a battle since we’re here? I doubt you’ll keep up with me again, so why not,” Kiley suggested, sounding extremely confident in herself despite the fact she hadn’t captured any other Pokémon. “Why don’t I battle you, Sco—”
“No, if you’re going to battle anyone, it’s me, Kiley. You know I won’t let you pick on Scout, so I’ll battle you, got that?” Mira cut Kiley off.
“Hmph, fine then. If you want to lose instead, I don’t care,” Kiley replied. “Cyndaquil, come out!” She said, throwing her Pokéball.
Mira took a few steps before throwing her Pokéball out, shouting, “Let’s go, Totodile!”​

The two Pokémon emerged from their Pokéballs, ready to battle. Cyndaquil made flames shoot out of his back to try and intimidate Totodile, though Totodile just shrugged it off. Scout stepped to the side of the grass that was now a battle field, and shouted out the usual rules.

“Um, this will be a one on one battle right?” Scout asked.
“I don’t have any other Pokémon, thanks to you two being so slow,” Kiley answered rudely.
“Well maybe if you we’re so impatient you wouldn’t have had to wait for us!” Mira shouted back from the other side of the field.
“Whatever, do we have to wait any longer? Let’s just get this over with,” Kiley said, shrugging off the insult.
“If you’re so sure you’re going to win, then take this! Totodile, use Water Gun!” Mira commanded.
“Dodge it, Cyndauil, and then use tackle,” Kiley told her Cyndaquil.​

Her Cyndaquil rolled to the side, dodging the stream of water coming from Totodile. As he jumped back up, Cyndaquil ran towards Totodile, landing a hit on him a few seconds later. Totodile rolled across the ground before jumping back up. Mira shouted to use Scratch, to which Totodile jumped up and landed on top of Cyndaquil this time to scratch Cyndaquil’s face. Cyndaquil shook Totodile off after a lot of work, and jumped back to begin another tackle, as commanded by Kiley. Totodile seemed to have a bit of trouble dodging, and was hit again by the tackle, wobbling a bit, unable to hold his balance. After a bit of staggering, Mira’s Totodile stood upright again, though it seemed to be at the end of his energy. Mira shouted to use another Water Gun, however Kiley’s Cyndaquil was still full of energy and easily dodge the attack, following up with the final blow, another Tackle. Totodile fell over onto the ground and Mira called him back.

“I knew I would win, what a loser Pokémon. You even had the type advantage, and still lost. Have fun trying to win with that wimpy Pokémon,” Kiley said, returning her Cyndaquil to his Pokéball. Kiley then turned around and headed off towards Aurora Town.
“Hmph,” Mira said, crossing her arms.
“You did good Mira, she just psyched you out I think…” Scout said, trying to cheer Mira up.
“No, it’s fine. I didn’t take the opportunities I should have. I let her get the best of me. It’s no big deal, let’s just go,” Mira responded with disappointment in her voice, beginning to walk again.
“O… Okay then…” Scout said, sounding a bit sad.​

The two walked in silence towards Aurora Town. As soon as they arrived, Mira headed over to the PokéCenter to heal her Pokémon up. She also took Scout’s so he could go look in the PokéMart for things they needed. Scout walked into the PokéMart and looked through the aisles. He picked up a few more Pokéballs as well as a small amount of potions before heading over to the PokéCenter to meet back up with Mira. When the two finally joined back up, the figured it best to get something to eat, and headed over to the small diner in the town.

It really was a small diner, serving a small selection of foods, though enough to appeal to every sort of new training heading out of Hixon Town. A few other trainers had taken a stop here, and were seated at tables within the restaurant. Kiley, however, was thankfully no where to be seen, allowing Mira to relax a bit more. Mira and Scout ordered simple things and ate in near silence. As they were about to leave, a young male trainer came up asking for a battle. Mira accepted, and the three headed outside where they could battle. After a tough battle, Mira’s Totodile wiped out the trainer’s Chikorita, despite the type disadvantage. The trainer thanked them for the good battle, and headed over to the PokéCenter. With nothing else to do, Mira and Scout headed out on yet another route, now towards Satlada Town, where Mira could battle for her first badge. Her confidence regained, Mira was ready to head towards gaining her first badge!

--To Be Continued!--​

For those curious, this is 7 pages in word, 1.5 spaced (double spacing feels like too much, but single spacing feels too small. :p). This is the first time in a while that I've written fiction NOT for NaNoWriMo, by the way ( at LEAST 4 years... .__.;; ). Expect long-ish chapters, since I'm used to letting myself run on for a while... or forgetting I have chapters (lol, this is why I had a chapter in my recent NaNo that was, like, 30-something pages long, 1.5 spaced).

Last edited:
Re: Good Things Come in Threes! [CHP1 Up]

this was a plesure to read, it was well planned,(not like my fic DX) and add's a nice twist that the male charicter does contests! keep up the good work

^ So true, I really enjoyed reading this.
2 things I picked up on were that lose and loser only have 1 o but other than that I thought it was excellant and an incredible start to the fic, I will most definately be reading for a very long time!

This is really good! I hope you put up more chapters. The only mess-up that I saw was "every sort of new training heading out of Hixon Town." Shouldn't it be trainer? Other than that, I love it >w<

Longer than last chapter! Lots of dialog too. Hopefully I captured Contests well, I'm not entirely sure I'm good at trying to make it sound like the moves are showing off the pokémon. I also have two questions for you after this!

Table of Contents
Chapter 01: Calm Waves
Chapter 02: A Contest on the Beach! <You Are Here>
Chapter 03: The First Step

--Chapter 02: A Contest on the Beach!—​

“Man, this route feels like it’s going on foreeeeeeveeer~” Mira complained, putting her arms behind her head and stretching a bit. “And there’s not even that much grass to find new Pokémon in…”
“I don’t mind a relaxing walk…” Scout commented.
“But I do, I need to keep training! My first badge is on the other end of this route!” Mira exclaimed
“I know, but isn’t it good to relax a little too?” Scout replied
“Huh… I guess you have a point… maybe I should relax a little.”
Mira calmed down a little bit, and the two continued down Route 50 towards Satlada City, where Mira’s first gym battle was waiting. However, much to Scout’s displeasure, another trainer came up to Mira asking for a battle.
“Are you a trainer too? Would you like to battle?” asked a young girl who had been looking at what seemed to be her Piplup.
“Of course! I’m always ready for a battle!” Mira said, jumping at the opportunity
“I thought you said you would relax a bit, Mira!” Scout said, with a bit of a whine in his voice.
“I can’t turn down a trainer battle, you know that!” Mira said, smiling, as she took Totodile’s pokéball out from her bag.
Scout merely let out a sigh and walked to the side of the small battle area. “Alright then, a 1-on-1 battle?” Scout asked.
“Sounds good to me!” replied the newbie trainer. “Oh, and before I forget, my name’s Marissa.”
“Nice to meet you Marissa! I’m Mira, and here comes my Totodile!” Mira shouted across the battle field, tossing her Totodile out for battle.
“Okay, let’s go Piplup!” Marissa said, her Piplup jumping out into the area.​
Mira’s Totodile and Marissa’s Piplup both took a fighting pose, waiting for Scout’s signal.
“Alright then, Battle… begin!” Scout shouted, lowering his arm down the center of the field to signal for the battle to start.
“Piplup, use bubble!” Marissa commanded
“Totodile! Jump up to dodge it and shoot water gun from the air!” Mira shouted.​
Out of Piplup’s mouth came a stream of bubbles, however Totodile was fast enough to dodge and the bubbles merely hit the dirt where Totodile had stood. Totodile then fired water gun at Piplup, which landed square on target! However, since Piplup is also a water type, it didn’t do much damage which allowed Piplup to hop right back up one its feet again. Totodile landed on its feet as it reached the ground again.
“Totodile, use water gun to shoot you forward for a super powered scratch!” Mira told her Totodile, who nodded and jumped upwards.
“Alright, Piplup, use bubble around you!” Marissa shouted.​
Totodile shot water gun behind it, giving it a great speed boost as it readied scratch. However, only a few moments before Totodile hit Piplup, Marissa shouted from her side of the field.
“Piplup, rush forward and pop those bubbles and Totodile!”​
Piplup did as commanded and rushed forward, popping the bubbles in its way with its flipper, which then slammed right into Totodile’s body. Totodile got some air time before falling to the ground and sliding across the dirt. Mira cried out to Totodile to get up. With a bit of effort, Totodile returned to his feet and waited for Mira’s next command. Marissa, however, called out faster, commanding her Piplup to use bubble once more.
“Do what Piplup did last time but with scratch, Totodile! Use the bubbles for extra damage!” Mira shouted out to Totodile.​
Totodile nodded and rushed forward into the stream of bubbles, popping each one with his now glowing claws. Totodile reached Piplup rather quickly, and scratched Piplup up into the air, sending it flying to land on its head a few moments later. Piplup let out a sharp cry as it landed, and did not get up after landing. Scout then raise his arm up on the side Mira was standing on and said “Mira is the winner!” with a big smile on his face.
“Alright! Great job Totodile!” Mira said with pride, returning Totodile to his pokéball.
“You did well Piplup,” Marissa said, returning her Piplup to its pokéball. She then turned to Mira and Scout and asked, “So are you two entering in the Aurora Beach Contest too?”
“Aurora Beach Contest…? I didn’t even know they had one, to be honest,” Mira answered.
“I did,” Scout said. “It’s today, right?” He asked Marissa
“Yeah, it is! So you’re a coordinator, um… I don’t think I caught your name…” Marissa asked.
“It’s Scout, and yeah, I am.”
“Wow~ There aren’t many boy coordinators…” Marissa giggled. “So what do you do then, Mira? Gyms battles?”
“Yup, I’m aiming for Victory Road!” Mira said with a smile on her face.
“No wonder you beat me then, I tried to keep Piplup looking pretty while you went for straight up attacks,” Marissa replied. “But, anyways, do you guys want to head down towards the beach together?”
“Well, I suppose we have to go there anyways, right? So why not, the more the merrier, right Scout?” Mira answered, nudging Scout’s arm.
“Al-alright…” Scout replied, stuttering.
“The let’s go~!” Marissa replied, pointing forward in the direction of the beach.​
The group of three talked a bit about their Pokémon and their goals as they walked. A little bit of grass surrounded them for a short while, however as the ground became sandier, the grass faded away behind them. Soon enough they had made it to the beach where there were signs everywhere with “Aurora Beach Contest!” written on them in large letters. A woman in a bright orange bikini came up to the trio, appearing to be one of the staff members for the contest.
“Are you three here for the contest?” The woman asked.
“Two of us are,” Mira replied.
“Then will the two of you come over here? Miss, you may take a seat in the stands over there,” The woman said, leading Scout and Marissa over to a table set up on the side and pointing towards the stands that were around a small stage.​
Mira waved to Scout as he headed over to the table, and took a seat in the stands as the woman had suggested. She managed to get a decent seat, not behind anything too tall, thank goodness. As she settled down, she began to wonder how Scout was doing preparations-wise.

After Scout signed in for the contest, he called Chikorita and Sentret out from their pokéballs. He wanted to use both of them, but he wasn’t sure if Sentret would be up for it. Unsure of the Sentret’s moves, he pulled out his pokédex and had it scan Sentret.
“Sentret. Male. Moves are Scratch, Foresight, and Defense Curl,” The pokédex read out.
“Hm… Sentret, do you want to be in the appeal round then?” Scout asked his pokémon.
“Sen tret!” his Sentret replied happily, bouncing up and down on his tail.
“Alright then Chikorita,” Scout said, turning to Chikorita, “You’ll be in the battling round, okay?”
“Chiko,” Chikorita replied confidently.
“Okay then…” Scout said to himself, nervousness building up inside of him. “Let’s do this!” He punched the air above him.
“Hehe,” A girl who had been watching giggled.
“Ah, um…” Scout turned to see the girl and blushed.
“Ah, no, no, it’s nothing, really. You just seem like a good opponent,” the brunette girl replied.
“Then… then that means you’re in the contest too?” Scout asked.
“Yup! The name’s Lillian, what’s yours?”
“It’s Scout,” Scout answered.
“Scout, huh? Is this your first contest?” Lillian asked.
“Ye-yeah…” Scout stuttered, afraid to admit it.
“Oh it’s nothing to be shy about! Everyone has to have their first contest sometime, you know? This is actually only my second; I hope to do better than my first time…” Lillian said with a half-hearted laugh in her voice.
“What happened in your first?” Scout asked curiously.
“Ah, well, I lost miserably, hehe…” Lillian tried to laugh it off.
“You win some, you loose some… right?” Scout said, trying to cheer her up.
Lillian’s face lit up, “You’re right! You’re completely right Scout, why hadn’t I thought of that!”
Over the loudspeaker an announcer began the introduction for the contest.
“Ah! I’d better go make sure I’m ready! Hey, why don’t we make a promise to meet in the final battle round, okay?”
“Su-sure…” Scout stuttered once again.
“Alright, you better not let me down!” Lillian said, rushing off.​
Scout called Chikorita and Sentret back to their pokéballs and took a deep breath. He heard the crowd roar as the announcer called out the first contestant. After what seemed like an eternity, Scout heard his name called and he headed out onto the stage. He heard a faint “Go Scout!” from the crowd, definitely Mira, but he tried to keep his head in the game. He pulled Sentret’s pokéball out and tossed it up, shouting “Let’s go, Sentret!” Out popped Sentret and Scout commanded for Sentret to use defense curl. Sentret curled itself up into a ball, bouncing up and down upon hitting the ground a few times before uncurling and landing right on the tip of its tail. Scout then told Sentret to use Foresight while spinning, creating a cone-shaped red beam. Finally, Scout had Sentret use defense curl once more to bounce up inside of the red cone shape. Just as the red light faded, Sentret uncurled and posed before landing on the ground again.

The audience roared with applause. A smile began to grow on Scout’s face, proud of what he had been able to do. He and Sentret then left the stage for the next contestant to head up. With the first part of the contest finished and now finally out of the audience’s eyes, Scout let out a sigh of relief. He saw Lillian head up to wait to be called, and assumed she would be next. He was curious as to what pokémon Lillian would use as well as what moves they had, but he would have to wait. In the meantime, however, he took a seat on one of the benches and tried to think through how he could work with Chikorita’s still limited move set. As his mind wandered, he heard the crowd applaud for the previous contestant and turned to see Marissa stepping down the stairs into the backstage sort of area. He then heard Lillian’s name called and saw her take the stage. With another sigh, Scout looked down at the sand.
“Something wrong?” Marissa asked, taking a seat next to him.
“No, it-it’s nothing…” Scout replied, not sounding sure of his answer.
“That doesn’t sound like nothing to me. Are you nervous?” Marissa questioned.
“O-of course I am. I don’t even know if I did any good in the appeal round…” Scout answered.
“I’m sure you did fine! You’ll make it into the next round easy!” Marissa said with a smile.
“Even if I do, I don’t know what to do in the battle round…” Scout replied.
“I’m sure you’ll figure something out!” Marissa countered, still smiling.
“I just… have no idea…” Scout whispered to himself.
“Like I said,” Marissa said with emphasis, “You’ll figure something out!” she repeated.
“But I—” Scout started to reply, but just then the announcer’s voice boomed through the area.
“The appeal round is now over! Our judges have counted their votes up, and here are the contests in the battle round!” the announcer’s voice said through the loud speakers. “Will all contestants please head to the stage,” The announcer continued.​
Since this was not a formal contest building, they did not have the large televisions to use for this sort of thing, and had to call all of the contestants back onto the stage. With a sigh to release some of his nervousness, Scout headed onto the stage and stood in-between Marissa and the girl who had gone before him. Once all the contestants were up on the stage, the announcer continued, however Scout didn’t hear most of what was said too well. He heard various names being called, including Lillian’s and Marissa’s, and saw those that would be in the battle round take a step forward as their name was called.
“Scout!” the announcer boomed over the speaker system.​
Scout nearly missed it, shocked that he had made it but now even more nervous about the next round. He took the step forward to line up with the rest of the contestants who were continuing. The announcer then announced the match ups for the first round, and Scout didn’t happen to catch the girl’s name. As the group left the stage, he grew even more worried about the outcome of the next round.

Time flew by as Scout tried to think up any sort of strategy. Sooner than he had hoped, he heard his name called for the battle round. He stepped onto the stage and took the left side of the battle area. The announcer then called the name “Lia” to the stage, which must have been the name Scout hadn’t heard before. A girl with short red hair stepped onto the stage and took the opposite side as Scout.
“Join the Shining stage, Spoink!” Lia cried out, tossing her pokéball into the air. Out popped a Spoink, its pink colored pearl shining in the daylight sun.
“Let’s go, Chikorita!” Scout shouted, tossing his pokéball outwards. His Chikorita popped out and took a leap through the air before landing.
“Battle round, begin!” The announcer shouted.
“Spoink, bounce into the air and use double team!” Lia commanded.​
Spoink did as he was commanded, and bounced high up into the air. While still in air, Spoink used double team, making it seem as if there were many of him in a circle above Chikorita. Lia then shouted for Spoink to use psywave. The move came in from all angles, and Scout was too nervous to think straight. The move hit right on target, sending Chikorita straight up into the air from the blast. Spoink landed back on the ground, still hopping up and down. Scout’s mind raced, trying to think of something to do. The idea came to him.
“Chikorita, tackle straight down at Spoink!” He shouted.​
Chikorita nodded, and was able to spin in the air and used gravity to speed up the tackle. Lia cried out for Spoink to dodge, however it wasn’t fast enough and actually worsened the hit by bouncing up just as Chikorita’s tackle hit the pearl on his head. Chikorita bounced back up thanks to Spoink’s bouncing, and Scout commanded for Chikorita to use razor leaf as it landed. Chikorita spun the leaf on her head and a few smaller leaves flew out towards Spoink. Spoink, still trying to recover from the previous hit, toppled over onto the stage. While it hopped up after a few moments, the announcer called out that Scout had won by depleting Lia’s points. Lia called back her pokémon, as did Scout, and the two left the stage. Once the two were backstage, Lia spoke to Scout.
“You were really good. I wish you luck in the final round!” Lia said, waving as she headed over to the stands, the pokéball of her Spoink in her hand.
“Th-thanks…” Scout said, still amazed at his victory.​
After a short while and a few more battles, Scout managed to make it to the final round. As he expected, Lillian would now be his opponent. The nervousness inside him multiplied, but he tried to keep his mind in order. The announcer finally called the two of them to the stage.
“Good luck Scout!” Lillian shouted from across the stage.
“Yo-you too…” Scout replied feebly.
“Shine with the starlight, Chikorita!” Lillian shouted, tossing her pokéball. Out of it emerged her Chikorita, who spun in the air before landing on her feet.
“Let’s go, Chikorita!” Scout cried out, throwing his pokéball out. His Chikorita popped out the pokéball, and merely landed gracefully onto the stage.
“Battle round, begin!” The announcer shouted.​
The audience let out a slight laugh at the situation. With a female Chikorita on both sides of the field hopefully things won’t get too confusing. Ignoring the crowd, Lillian shouted out her first move. “Chikorita, use poison powder then synthesis and run with the cloud!” A cloud of purple colored smoke began to float towards Scout’s Chikorita, with Lillian’s Chikorita in the center, glowing through the cloud from the use of synthesis. The announcer commented on the combination; however Scout didn’t hear exactly what was said as he was focused on figuring out what to do in return. The idea suddenly came to him, and he immediately shouted it out without hesitation.

“Chikorita, use growl to blow that cloud away! Then follow it up with a tackle from the sky!” Scout’s Chikorita opened its mouth and let out a cry that distorted the air, pushing the cloud of poison powder off of Lillian’s Chikorita. As Scout’s Chikorita finished her move, she jumped up into the air and swooped down with a tackle, landing perfectly onto Lillian’s Chikorita. Lillian’s Chikorita gained some air, and Scout commanded his Chikorita to rush under her and use growl again to push her back up into the air. After a quick run, Scout’s Chikorita was under Lillian’s, however Lillian shouted for her Chikorita to spin back around and use tackle straight down. As Scout’s Chikorita tilted her head up to use growl, Lillian’s Chikorita fell from the sky, landing smack dab in the center of Scout’s Chikorita’s face. Lillian’s Chikorita then flew back into the air slightly, and used razor leaf while doing some sort of back flip, and finally landed back on the ground. Scout called out for his Chikorita to dodge, and while she did for a short while, his Chikorita got hit by just one of the leaves by accident and the remaining leaves then created a combo attack, each one sending Chikorita skidding across the stage further and further.
“Time up!” the announcer shouted over the loud speakers. “And the Aurora Beach Contest winner is… Lillian!”​
The crowd roared with applause. While he knew it was coming, Scout let out a sigh. At least Lillian had gotten her first ribbon, right? Scout headed off the stage and to the backstage. As he stepped off the stage, Mira rushed.
“You did really good Scout!” She told him.
“Yeah, but I lost…” Scout replied sourly.
“It was just your first contest Scout, and you’ll get better! I’m sure of it!” Mira stated.
“I guess…”
As Scout sighed, Lillian stepped off the stage with her ribbon in hand. “Scout, you did great! I’m sorry you didn’t win though…”
“It’s fine, I’ll do better next time,” Scout replied.
“Then I had better see you at the Satlada City Contest, okay?” Lillian requested. “You need to listen to your own advice, got that? Get up and try again!”
“You’re right,” Scout replied, a bit more confidently.
“Of course!” Lillian said with a smile. She then looked down at her pokétech, and noticed the time. “Ah, I should be going! See you at the next contest Scout!”
“Wait… what was that on her wrist…?” Scout asked a moment too late.
“It’s a Pokétech!” Marissa said, seeming to pop up out of nowhere. “It’s kind of like a watch. Most coordinators have one.”
“Where… where can I get one?” Scout asked Marissa.
“Uhm… I think there’s a store in Satlada City, so you can probably get one before your next contest!” She answered. “Anyways, I have to go now as well. My Piplup needs some training for the next contest!”
“See you,” Scout said, waving as Marissa rushed off to the areas with tall grass.
“Well, with this over with, I guess we should head on our way. We can get your pokétech before my gym match, okay? We just, you know, have to make it to Satlada first,” Mira said, taking a few steps towards Satlada.
“M’kays, thanks Mira,” Scout said, walking up along side her.
“Then, to Satlada~!” Mira shouted into the sky, pointing forward with a wide smile on her face.​

To Be Continued…

My questions to you guys:
1. Should Marissa return? Should I give her a concrete design?
and
2. Any suggestions for Scout's contest cry?

Last edited:
Re: Good Things Come in Threes! [CHP2 Up]

Nice job on the new chapter! I totally think that Marissa should return, at least three times, like two updates and one at the grand festival. Also, for Scout's contest cry, how about "Go {insert Pokémon's name}! Let's do this!"? (idk, I'm really no good at this kind of stuff)
or how about "{insert Pokémon's name}, let's make things sparkly~!" lol jk

Hey ^-^
I've read the two chapters und I can say that you did a really good job. I really like the three starters, especially Cyndaquil. And the contest was so good.
I've not so really good ideas for Scout's contest cry. But maybe, "Starlight!" or something like that would be a good choice.
Well, can't wait for the next chapter ^-^

Greetz
~Hikari

New Chapter! :D It's a long one I guess. xD I'll actually be using Lia and Marissa again as you can see by the fact they're now under the new "Minor Reoccurring Characters". I have plans for both of them, so you'll just have to wait and see what I have planned! ;3

Also, I only recently realized there was no un-accented "e" in Pokétch. >_> Soooo uh... to cover my mistake, a Pokétech (with the e) is just a super upgraded one designed in Paena. 8D And I changed something in Chapter 2 since I didn't have a concrete design for Lia (she was going to be a throw-away character, but I like the name so I designed her and she's not blonde anymore).

Table of Contents
Chapter 01: Calm Waves
Chapter 02: A Contest on the Beach!
Chapter 03: The First Step <You Are Here>

--Chapter 3: The First Step--​

Scout and Mira’s walk through the remainder of Aurora Beach was rather uneventful. Just a couple of miles of sand until, finally, they found the grassy remainder of the route. Mira was able to battle a little bit, her Pokémon gaining strength along the way. However, while the beach was uneventful, the path towards Satlada Town was not.

Just as the two stepped onto the grass, they heard rushed footsteps. Mira jumped slightly before looking all around, expecting a Pokémon. However, much to her disappointment, the only thing coming towards the two was a green-haired girl with a blue colored outfit. She was clutching something tight in her arms as she ran. The girl seemed completely oblivious to her surroundings as she rammed right into Mira. Without even looking at Mira, she shoved her out of the way and continued to run. Mira and Scout both watched the girl run down the beach, somewhat confused. From the direction the girl had run from, they heard a voice.

“Stop that thief!” cried a young boy’s voice.​

Mira and Scout turned back around to see a brown-haired boy in a shirt with a fire pattern on it running towards them. Behind him was a familiar face to them, Sidney the gym leader of Satlada. He happened to be a childhood friend of theirs, though he had long since taken up the Satlada gym after the previous gym leader retired. In the air flew a small green ball, which Mira recognized to be a Natu. The two boys stopped in front of them, with the brown-haired boy out of breath. As Sidney stopped, the Natu settled down onto his shoulder.

“Scout! Mira! You’ve got to help us, that woman stole something important,” Sidney said while the brown-haired boy tried to catch his breath.
“Um, sure… but who is she?” Mira asked.
“She’s a member of Blu Gang,” The brown-haired boy said, composing himself again. “I’m Riley, an Elite Four member, by the way,” he said, holding out his hand to the two of them.
“Ah, an Elite Four member?” Mira asked, shocked, shaking his hand.
“Yeah, I take it you’re shooting to battle me then? I’ve heard a bit about both of you from Sidney,” Riley replied with a smile.
“I-I didn’t know you knew Elite Four members, Sid!” Mira commented, looking at Sidney.
“Well, when you’ve been a gym leader for quite a while you get to know people,” Sidney replied. “But in all seriousness, we do need to get what that woman stole back. It’s an important piece of technology,” Sidney explained.
“Alright then, let’s go already!” Mira replied enthusiastically, taking off into a run.
“Wa-wait up Mira!” Scout cried out as he tried to keep up.​

Mira could still see the blue bandana that the woman had tied around her head bounce up and down as she ran across the beach. She seemed to be running towards the ocean. “You’re not getting away like that!” Mira shouted out as she picked up the pace, leaving the three boys behind. As she ran, she realized that her Pidgey may be able to help, and tossed out the PokéBall. “Go and catch that green-haired lady!” Mira shouted up to her Pidgey, who took off at the fastest speeds she could go after hearing the order. Mira’s Pidgey was easily able to catch up to the green-haired women and used a strong gust attack to stop the woman in her tracks. Off flew the blue bandana, which Mira caught as it floated back down to the ground.

“Stop right there, thief. You’ve got something that doesn’t belong to you, so give it back right this instant,” Mira commanded.
“Why would I ever do that,” the woman said, clutching a laptop computer across her chest. “I need the promotion little girl, so leave me be. My boss’ plans have nothing to do with you and your little troupe of corrupted beings.”
“Big words for a lowly Blu Gang grunt,” Riley said as he caught up to Mira. “Even bigger words for someone who’s outnumbered.”
“You little kids think you could possibly defeat the almighty Blu Gang? Pfft, you kids just need to be shown your place. Come out, Quagsire!” The gunt said, tossing a PokéBall out into the air.​

Out came a Quagsire, as expected. Upon its face was a determined look, much unlike the usual oblivious happy face many Quagsire commonly wear. Mira’s Pidgey flew around to face the Quagsire, expecting to battle. And what a battle she would take part in.

“Quagsire, use ice beam!” The grunt commanded.
“Dodge it and use gust, Pidgey!” Mira shouted.​

Mira’s Pidgey expertly dodged the beam of ice Quagsire sent out from its wide mouth before using her wings to form a strong gust of air. It hit Quagsire straight on, however it held its ground and wasn’t pushed back more than a few inches. Mira then shouted for Pidgey to use quick attack, however the Blu Gunt’s command for her Quagsire to use slam was able to intercept the attack and send Mira’s Pidgey back up into the air before nearly falling all the way down to the sand. The Blu Gang grunt then commands Quagsire to ready a water pulse, though in the few moments it takes to ready itself for the attack, Mira commands her Pidgey to use gust to send the water pulse back at Quagsire. The tactic worked and Quagsire was hit two-fold, once with the water pulse and again with the gust. It was unable to hold its ground this time and flew up into the air slightly before falling to the ground. The Quagsire was barely able to take a hit and promptly fainted upon landing back onto the ground.

“Ho-how could kids just… You’re just kids!” The grunt shouted, staring at her pokémon in shock.
“Hand it over already,” Mira commanded.
“Just because I lost doesn’t mean I’ll— Hey give that back!” The grunt said, interrupted by Sidney’s Natu flying over and picking the laptop out from her hands.
“We’ll be taking that,” Sidney said as his Natu dropped the laptop into his arms.
“Tch, this won’t be the last time you’ll meet Blu Gang! I’ll be bac—” The grunt said as she turned towards what appeared to be her escape route.​
Much to the grunt's displeasure, however, Officer Jenny and her fellow police officers were standing behind her waiting to apprehend the grunt. Officer Jenny cuffed the grunt and turned to the kids to thank them for their assistance. The police officers carted the grunt and her Quagsire off towards the city while Mira and the others turned to each other.
“So, what’s in that laptop that’s so important?” Mira asked.
“It’s a nearly finished upgrade for the Pokétech; it just has to be installed into the device itself. Mrs. Cardinal was heading to the Silph Co. building to do such when that grunt grabbed it out of her arms,” Sidney explained.
“A Pokétech?” Scout asked, now very interested in what they had just saved.
“Oh that’s right. Scout, you’re interested in contests, aren’t you? I was meaning to send you a Pokétech before you two set out on your journey, but the idea slipped my mind I guess,” Sidney replied. “Come on, we should return this laptop to Mrs. Cardinal.”​

The four kids and their Pokémon headed back across the beach towards Satlada Town. They arrived in the town, which felt almost like a city with its slightly tall buildings. Sidney led the group towards a tall company building. In front of the building was a large S symbol statue in the center of a fountain of water. From the top of the S came a circle of water around the statue. The group headed into the building where they found a middle-aged woman with dark-green colored hair pacing the lobby. Sidney called out to the woman, who turned to see the group with her laptop.

“Oh thank goodness! I don’t know what I can do to repay you!” Mrs. Cardinal said, taking the laptop from Sidney. “Oh I know! Please, follow me,” Mrs. Cardinal continued, an idea popping into her head. The group followed her over to the elevator where she struck up a conversation once again.

“Sidney, these two are Mira and Scout, correct?” Mrs. Cardinal asked.
“Yes they are,” Sidney replied, nodding.
“Well then, I’m certain what I have will be of use to you two.”
“What, nothing for us?” Riley questioned.
“Oh, like either of you two need anything to help you as trainers,” Mrs. Cardinal commented with a laugh in her voice.
“Riley you wouldn’t have let her give it to you anyways,” Sidney said, poking fun at Riley.
“I know, but still…” Riley replied.
“I can treat you all to dinner then, is that alright? But the gifts go to Mira and Scout.”
“Oh! Dinner! I’ll take that,” Riley said, his face lighting up.​

The elevator opened up to a rather luxurious room. Mrs. Cardinal stepped out of the elevator and headed over to a cabinet on the far side of the room. Out of it she pulled a small watch like device. She then dug out a wire from her desk drawers and used it to hook up the watch to her laptop. From there she clicked a few times to start something on her laptop before heading back to the cabinet to get out a small capsule-like object. The capsule’s walls were solidly colored and the group could not tell what was inside. A ding came from her laptop and she unplugged the watch device.

“Alright, Scout, this is for you. It’s a Pokétech with all the bells and whistles you can think of. Don’t go flaunting it too much, there are some things in that which aren’t out for the commercial devices just yet,” Mrs. Cardinal explained, handing the Pokétech to Scout.
“Th-thank you very much!” Scout said, bowing his head slightly.
“And Mira, this here’s a Pokémon egg. I’m fairly certain what Pokémon is inside, but I’ll let you be surprised when it hatches. It’s from one of my Pokémon, so be sure to take care of it,” Mrs. Cardinal said, handing the capsule to Mira.
“Thank you very much m’am,” Mira said, picking up the capsule.
“Come by in a few hours and we can have that dinner I promised you, okay kids?” Mrs. Cardinal said as the group headed back towards the elevator.
“Gotcha!” Riley said, giving her a thumbs up.
As the elevator doors shut, Scout began fiddling with his Pokétech while Sidney turned to Mira.
“So Mira, I expect you’re looking to try and get your first badge, am I right?” Sidney asked.
Mira let out a little laugh, “Of course I am, Sid. But just ‘cause you’re the gym leader doesn’t mean I won’t try my hardest to beat you!”
“I wouldn’t expect any less from you, Mira. We can head over to my gym now if you’d like.”
“If I’d like? Pssh Sid, what do you think I’m going to say?”
“She’s right you know,” Scout said as he continued to fiddle with his new toy.
“Oh, I’m interested in seeing this battle!” Riley commented.
“Alright, alright, we’ll head over to the gym,” Sidney said.​

The elevator door opened once again and the group headed out of the building. They walked down a few small streets before finally reaching the gym building, which had a PokéBall symbol in white on top of a half circle of purple over top the door, signifying it as an official gym. The group headed in, led by Sidney, to the battle field. It was a simple field, the floor being marble colored dark purple. White lines marked the battle arena and around the field was a small set of bleachers for spectators to watch. Scout headed over to take a seat, expecting Riley to follow, however he headed over to be the referee for the match.

“Alright, this will be a 2-on-2 match for the Rantipole badge,” Riley explained. “You may change Pokémon, but only two Pokémon may be used in this match. The gym leader chooses their Pokémon first.”
“Then, let’s get this started! Come out, Abra!” Sidney said, tossing a PokéBall out onto the field.
“I choose you, Pidgey!” Mira called out, tossing her PokéBall into the air.
“Match, Start!” Riley proclaimed.
“Abra, use confusion!”
“Pidgey! Dodge and use tackle!”​

Sidney’s Abra shot out a wave from its head as it sat on the ground. The waves of confusion shot towards Mira’s Pidgey, however Pidgey flew up and around the waves before diving down to use tackle. It hit Abra straight on, causing Abra to roll across the marble floor before standing back up again. Mira shouted for Pidgey to use quick attack, however Sidney called out for Abra to use reflect. Up came the invisible barrier, which Pidgey hit square on and was sent wheeling back in the air, twirling in circles. Sidney took up the chance to use confusion again, which hit this time. Mira’s Pidgey teetered through the air, trying to regain her balance as Mira cried out for her to use gust. Sidney called out for Abra to use Psybeam, however Mira quickly rectified her command and told Pidgey to dodge before using gust. Pidgey cleared the psybeam with ease as her confusion wore off, and sent a large gust of wind at Abra. The gust of wind sent Abra tumbling through the air before falling to the ground and fainting.

“1-0, Favoring Mira!” Riley called out, raising a green flag in the hand closer to Mira’s side.
“Abra, return!” Sidney said, calling back his Pokémon. “It’s your turn, Xatu!” He said, tossing out his second Pokémon.​

Out came his Xatu, ready to face Pidgey. Mira decided not to call back her Pidgey and the battle continued.

“Xatu, use confuse ray!”
“Dodge it and use sand attack, Pidgey!”​
Unfortunately, the confusion waves from Xatu were much stronger and hit Pidgey with ease. Mira’s Pidgey once again teetered through the sky, and finally lowered itself back to the ground, becoming a clear sitting duck. She tried to use sand attack, however instead ended up sending the sand straight into her own eyes, hurting herself. Sidney commanded Xatu to use peck, and Xatu rushed forward and jabbed its beak into Pidgey. The peck must have jogged something in Pidgey’s head as the moment after, it returned to the air, though seeming to be barely hanging on. Sidney called out for Xatu to use aerial ace, however Mira commanded Pidgey to use gust to push Xatu away. Her Pidgey gathered up a gust of wind within seconds and sent it straight into Xatu moments before impact. Xatu was shot down towards the ground. However, Pidgey was not able to dodge Xatu’s follow-up psychic attack and fell back down to the ground, fainted.

“1-1, draw!” Riley shouted.
“Return, Pidgey!” Mira said, holding out her PokéBall. “Come on out, Totodile!”​

Totodile entered the field, jumping up out of excitement of being out of his PokéBall again. Sidney took the initiative of Totodile’s distraction to command Xatu to use confuse ray. Fortunately for Mira, as she commanded Totodile to dodge by jumping over Xatu with help from water gun, he quickly followed. As soon as he landed on the other side of Xatu, and Mira commanded him to use bite. Totodile lunged forward and sunk his teeth into Xatu’s side as it tried to turn around in time to begin an attack. Xatu took massive damage, as its face showed by expressing major shock. When Totodile finally let go of Xatu’s side, Mira called for him to blast the two apart with a water gun and he quickly obliged. Out came the jet of water from his mouth, sending Xatu towards Mira and himself towards Sidney. Sidney shouted for Xatu to use aerial ace, and while Mira called for Totodile to dodge, he wasn’t quick enough and Xatu rammed right into him. Xatu pulled back and readied another confuse ray, though Totodile was able to dodge it once again and repeated the bite tactic. The final water gun was too much for Xatu and it fell to the marble flooring as the stream of water finished.

“2-1, Mira is the victor!” Riley shouted.
“Alright!” Mira said, jumping with glee.
Sidney returned Xatu to its PokéBall, walked over to Mira and took a badge from his pocket, “Well, you earned it. Here’s the Rantipole badge.”
“Whoo-hoo! One step closer to the league!” Mira exclaimed, taking the badge.
“Congrats sis,” Scout said.
“Thanks Scout,” Mira replied, smiling. “Oh! Hey Sidney, isn’t there a contest here too?” Mira asked.
“Oh, yeah that’s right. It’s tomorrow though, but you guys are more than welcome to stay at my place,” Sidney offered.
“That would be great, thanks Sid,” Mira replied.
“Hey… maybe we should see about that dinner…” Riley commented.
Sidney sighed, though he still smiled, “Sometimes it’s hard to see you as an Elite Four member when you act this childish, Riley.”
“Aw, but wherever we’re going for dinner has to be good! Mrs. Cardinal is paying for it!”
“That doesn’t change my comment at all Riley,” Sidney laughed. “But I suppose you’re right, we can head back over.”​

The group headed back out of the gym to see the sun had begun to set. It hadn’t felt like a long while, though it had already been nearing sunset when they had entered in the first place. Sidney led the group back over to the Paena region’s Silph Co. branch’s building where Mrs. Cardinal was once again waiting for them in the lobby. At least this time she wasn’t pacing the carpeted floor with worry.

“Ah, you’re a bit earlier than I expected,” Mrs. Cardinal said. “Though it’s no problem, I was getting a bit hungry myself.”
“Alright!” Riley exclaimed joyfully.
“Well I see someone’s excited for this,” Mrs. Cardinal laughed. “If you would, please follow me. We’ll take my car over to the restaurant.”​

The group followed Mrs. Cardinal to her car which she then drove to the restaurant. Despite being a wealthy woman, she still enjoyed driving rather than being chauffeured and had no qualms about being the driver. After a relatively uneventful dinner, Mrs. Cardinal drove the group back to the Sliph Co. building. Riley waved good bye after they left the building as he called out his Charizard to fly him back home. Sidney then led Scout and Mira to his place where they stayed the night. As Scout lay in bed, he couldn’t help but feel a bit nervous about the next day.

To Be Continued…​

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom