• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gotta Meme 'em All: PokéGods: The history and spread of Pokémon memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Gotta Meme 'em All: PokéGods: The history and spread of Pokémon memes

Today on Gotta Meme 'em All, we explore some of the biggest rumors that spread when the first generation of the Pokémon series first became popular. Trust me, my uncle works at Nintendo.

Read more on Bulbanews

The Pokédex entries of Sapusaur and Mewthree sound a lot like their Mega Evolutions. It makes me wonder if Game Freak created those Megas with these Pokégods in the back of their mind, for the fans with long memories to appreciate...

The Pokédex entries of Sapusaur and Mewthree sound a lot like their Mega Evolutions. It makes me wonder if Game Freak created those Megas with these Pokégods in the back of their mind, for the fans with long memories to appreciate...

When you look at PokéGods and other fan speculation from back in the day it gets very eerie because a lot of times additions are made years later that prove their predictions somewhat right. People thought Marill was going to be a Pikachu clone, whoch it wasn't, but in every generation since III we have had a Pikachu clone in the next region's Pokédex. So either Game Freak is predictable (which is not necessarily a bad thing), they have done homages to PokéGods in their games, or time travel is real. XD
One could even speculate that Mega Evolution was added to allow Game Freak to make the third evolutions that fans have wanted for a long time.

Seriously, though, the Venusaur evolution was prophetic. Not only did it predict the resistance to Fire and Ice attacks (compared to regular Venusaur, at least) and the reason (thick fat), it looks similar (at least with the head flower) and requiring a stone to evolve. Are you sure it's not recent?

When you look at PokéGods and other fan speculation from back in the day it gets very eerie because a lot of times additions are made years later that prove their predictions somewhat right. People thought Marill was going to be a Pikachu clone, whoch it wasn't, but in every generation since III we have had a Pikachu clone in the next region's Pokédex. So either Game Freak is predictable (which is not necessarily a bad thing), they have done homages to PokéGods in their games, or time travel is real. XD
One could even speculate that Mega Evolution was added to allow Game Freak to make the third evolutions that fans have wanted for a long time.

I like the idea of Game Freak doing homages, but that may lead me to the wrong conclusions, especially if later additions are sometimes made. The Mega Venusaur resemblances are so striking that I wouldn't be surprised if this Pokédex entry was a later addition, but if it isn't, the maker deserves all the fame.
I can see how those later additions to these things can make your research pretty difficult. But keep up the good work! Your columns are very interesting.

Seriously, though, the Venusaur evolution was prophetic. Not only did it predict the resistance to Fire and Ice attacks (compared to regular Venusaur, at least) and the reason (thick fat), it looks similar (at least with the head flower) and requiring a stone to evolve. Are you sure it's not recent?

I made sure when writing this article that the PokéDex entries I used were from the PokéGods era and not recent additions. But look at it this way: There were so many PokéGods created that at least a couple were going to resemble later additions to the real game. It is still crazy the resemblance we see here, but coincidences happen all the time.

I like the idea of Game Freak doing homages, but that may lead me to the wrong conclusions, especially if later additions are sometimes made. The Mega Venusaur resemblances are so striking that I wouldn't be surprised if this Pokédex entry was a later addition, but if it isn't, the maker deserves all the fame.
I can see how those later additions to these things can make your research pretty difficult. But keep up the good work! Your columns are very interesting.

Thanks! As long as there are people enjoying my column (and that there are memes to write about) I will continue to write it. I am busy with other work in my personal life, so the next article will be a guest article written by a colleague of mine, but I can tell you now that it is going to be amazing.

I made sure when writing this article that the PokéDex entries I used were from the PokéGods era and not recent additions. But look at it this way: There were so many PokéGods created that at least a couple were going to resemble later additions to the real game. It is still crazy the resemblance we see here, but coincidences happen all the time.

Ah, I see. Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, I really do like the column. Similarities like that are bound to cause some doubt, though.

Ah, I see. Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, I really do like the column. Similarities like that are bound to cause some doubt, though.

It's no problem, I am not that quick to believe something I read on the internet, either. I make sure that everything I say is correct and have multiple colleagues proofread it before publishing it. And yes, people will often make fakes trying to pass them off as originals, but I checked to make sure Sapusaur was legitimate because it does bear a striking resemblance to Mega Venusaur. I knew that a couple of them, like Mewthree, were real because of how popular they remained even after the PokéGods craze died out, making appearances in multiple ROM hacks and fanart.

For example, Mewthree was very popular up until Mega Evolution was revealed. When Mega Mewtwo Y was revealed, Mega Evolution hadn't been announced yet and no specific name was given to the new forme. Google searches for Mewthree skyrocketed after this announcement was made.

As for PokéGods like Sapusaur, I had to do some fact-checking. One piece of solid evidence I had was that it was listed in the Bulbapedia article for PokéGods years before Pokémon X and Y were even thought of. That, plus some other investigations I made, proved that it was real.

Sapusaur is on Deviantart, so it's not a coincidence. http://www.deviantart.com/art/POKEGODS-ARE-REAL-400487355

But "Mewthree" is genuine.

I liked the article, even if I already knew most of the information.

I am certain of Sapusaur's existence long before the release of Pokémon X and Y, so this must be a reupload.

And thanks for reading! I try to include information that most people won't know, but there are always a few people experienced enough to know all about the world of Pokémon memes.

I would like to point out that some early official materials use the name "Pikablu" for Marill. Other than that, I did enjoy your page. I clearly remember some kid in my school mentioning that exact "I'm getting tired of this..." quote, although he claimed that what would happen was you'd get to go in those inaccessible areas blocked off on the sides of towns and routes (like where there's grass you couldn't get to) and that is where to find Mew. I never really heard any "PokéGod" rumours back in the day and while I was aware of the truck, I never thought anything of it until I read about the silly rumours on Bulbapedia XD

I would like to point out that some early official materials use the name "Pikablu" for Marill. Other than that, I did enjoy your page. I clearly remember some kid in my school mentioning that exact "I'm getting tired of this..." quote, although he claimed that what would happen was you'd get to go in those inaccessible areas blocked off on the sides of towns and routes (like where there's grass you couldn't get to) and that is where to find Mew. I never really heard any "PokéGod" rumours back in the day and while I was aware of the truck, I never thought anything of it until I read about the silly rumours on Bulbapedia XD

Although I know that these cards are officially liscenced, I don't think that they were made by anyone at Game Freak, Creatures, or Nintendo. Is it possible that the rumors got so bad that even people in charge of making liscenced merchandise thought it was true?

And thanks for the kind words!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom