• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gou is on a roll to catch them all, but which Pokémon are you worried he will catch?

I really don't think that Gou capturing Pikachu would pave the way for him to become the new lead character. If the writers were interested in doing something like that, they could have replaced Ash ages ago. Not to mention I highly doubt that Gou is going to last past this series. Besides that, I don't think that they'll give Gou Pokemon that are so associated with Ash like Pikachu. I could maybe see him get a Charmander just because it's such a popular starter, but it seems unlikely for Gou to capture a lot of popular Pokemon that are associated with Ash.

I think people aren't worried that he won't catch cool Pokémon but rather that he will catch cool Pokémon and never use them.

For me it's Pikachu, because that paves the road for the main character to change while keeping the mascot.

I don't know if it would be a bad thing for Gou to catch a Pikachu. Maybe it could have a rivalry with Satoshi's Pikachu and evolve into a Raichu later. I really liked the idea of Pikachu having a rival in SM and it could bring some much needed tension to the main cast. Maybe Satoshi and Pikachu will eventually realize that Gou is stealing all the spotlight.

I would be fine with him catching a Pichu or Pikachu and evolving it into Alolan Raichu when they visit Alola. For variety.

I'm okay with him catching most pokemon in the dex. Maybe not legendary pokemon like Rayquaza or Necrozma. I'd be fine with befriending legendaries, though.

Of course, Gou defenders will still think he's "awesome" and that he's giving those Pokemon a "new home".
It is a new home where these Pokemon seem to have a good time. They get to be around Pokemon they wouldn't otherwise meet, and they see Go every day.

Not every Pokemon wants to battle competitively. Deal with it.

1- It is a new home where these Pokemon seem to have a good time. 2- hey get to be around Pokemon they wouldn't otherwise meet, 3- and they see Go every day.
Except he's not shown to be interacting with them in any meaningful manner. He comes across them, "MHONSTA BOL GOOO!" "NICE/GREAT/EXCELLENT!", done. Nothing more, no effort, no difficulties nada. Which is ironic considering even the Gou/LGPE games don't have a guaranteed 100% capture rate. The captured Pokemon then has a ~0.5/10 chance of ever being seen again depending on what task the master has for the slaves, so the chances of them being given individual personalities and making them unique are pretty much nil at this point. Excluding Scorbunny obviously.

1 - And what's the point of a new home where there's no advantage of being in it? You remove a Pokemon from it's expansive and natural habitat only to dump it into a closed dome. It's not even like Oak's ranch/grounds which is pretty akin to a Safari Zone itself.
2 - They could get to be around and meet other Pokemon in the wild as well so that argument is moot.
3 - Of course they'd want to see their lord. Who wouldn't want to meet the dark lord that brainwashed them thanks to poor writing?
Not every Pokemon wants to battle competitively. Deal with it.
Never said it's all about battling. It's about treating Pokemon like the sentient beings they are, who are supposed to have their own personalities, motivations, goals, weaknesses etc. Not the blank-as-cardboard stuff that Gou captures and how the Pokemon are somehow fine with being treated as collectibles.

Last edited:
I don't think he should catch any Legendary Pokémon except maybe Mew at the end of his arc if it's done right (although I'm not sure if Mew is unique in the anime or not? I didn't think so, but I don't know for certain), but I don't call that a given since this franchise tends towards protagonists leaving before accomplishing their goal, although maybe Ash winning the league will mark a change in that. In theory his arc could conclude with him deciding/realizing Mew shouldn't be captured (since legendaries work like that in the show) as well, but we'll see.

Other than that...honestly, I don't think he should catch anything really powerful early on, but I'm not bothered by the specifics of what species he gets outside of that (the ease of captures and lack of development for them is another matter) since we barely see them so far.

Except he's not shown to be interacting with them in any meaningful manner. He comes across them, "MHONSTA BOL GOOO!" "NICE/GREAT"EXCELLENT", done. Nothing more, no effort, no difficulties nada. Which is ironic considering even the Gou/LGPE games don't have a guaranteed 100% capture rate. The captured Pokemon then has a ~0.5/10 chance of ever being seen again depending on what task the master has for their slaves, so the chances of them being given individual personalities and making them unique are pretty much nil at this point. Excluding Scorbunny obviously.

1 - And what's the point of a new home where there's no advantage of being in it? You remove a Pokemon from it's expansive and natural habitat only to dump it into a closed dome. It's not even like Oak's ranch/grounds which is pretty akin to a Safari Zone itself.
2 - They could get to be around and meet other Pokemon in the wild as well so that argument is moot.
3 - Of course they'd want to see their lord. Who wouldn't want to meet the dark lord that brainwashed them thanks to poor writing?

Never said it's all about battling. It's about treating Pokemon like the sentient beings they are, who are supposed to have their own personalities, motivations, goals, weaknesses etc. Not the blank-as-cardboard stuff that Gou captures and how the Pokemon are somehow fine with being treated as collectibles.

This is exactly why he shouldn't get any legendaries/mythicals at all.
Apart from possibly that new Grass type, since it's probably gonna happen. It'd literally be just another capture, and a disservice to the species getting one shot caught followed by "NICE!"

I think Pikachu could work for a bonding episode between Go and Ash. Maybe Go's Pikachu displays similar mannerisms to the ones Ash's Pikachu had at the start, so Ash will finally decide to help him.

Answering the thread's question:
  • Legendaries & mythicals: Everything besides Meltan & Phione would be a terrible mistake for lore reasons, and Go is still too noobie for catching something like Darkrai or Heatran which had trainers in previous series.
  • Strong Pokemon: Unless he trains Scyther for 50 episodes straight I don't see him taking out a Gyarados, Charizard, Steelix or the pseudos. If he caughts them in raids I won't be mad as long as: 1) He helps a lot in the battle and 2) All participants agree that Go should catch it, maybe because of 1).
  • Copycats to Pokemon owned by previous characters: Psyduck
  • Fossils: I'm half-expecting the writers will just dump all of them into one episode.
  • Togepi, Togetic and Togekiss: This species has been potrayed in special ways, I hope they aren't caught in a random safari.
  • Eevee, Lucario, Garchomp, Gengar, Rotom: Overused as hell in the anime. Ironically two of them are coming very soon.

I mean I can kinda understand legendaries, but what makes Lucario or Alolan Sandslash untouchable? They're a dime a dozen and even if Go gets them he probably won't use them much anyways.

They're my favorite Pokemon of all time, and I HATE Go
Don't want another Clemont/Luxray or Worst Professor/Lucario

There's not really a lot I am worried to see him catch. He hasn't kept a single one on his team (yet), so it's not like they would do much, besides exist at Sakuragi Park. I think the only few that do concern me are fully-evolved Pokemon, especially the stronger ones, pseudos, and starters. I don't remember if we've ever really seen a main character, or even a side character catch a partially or fully evolved starter, let alone seen one in the wild. Will Gou be keeping the starters on his team to level them up. Will he even catch any other starters?

But besides that, not really.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom