• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Graphics Thread

My only gripe when it comes to graphics is arguably what some people see most in the games, the battle menu in ORAS. I much preferred the sleeker look of the XY battle menu, and hope they go more in that direction when designing it for Sun & Moon.

I don't think they improve the graphics, maybe just some movement like they did in oras...
anyway I love character design

I love the Chibi models and I hope they stay~ They're so cute! :3 You're playing as a kid, so I don't see what's wrong with looking like one.

On the other hand, I do agree that some Pokemon colors are just way off. Looking at Charmelon; they really need to run back to the official art and older sprites to get these colors corrected, because some of them just look plain wrong, honestly.

It's not a huge problem, but really, it's noticable.

I'd like them to improve the look of flames on Pokémon like Rapidash and Infernape, they did not look good in Gen VI.

I have this strange feeling that Pokemon Sun and Moon will be using the updated 3d models of Pokemon Go... they are an upgrade from the previous gen... the 3d wire frame birds round-ness also seems to match.. I just had deja vu... hmm.. its confirmed

These next games better having stunning graphics because this could be the last gen on the 3DS due to the system becoming pretty much dated even with new 3DS. So it would only make sense they go all out or else I will laugh at thee:D

Please bring back Ferroseed's spinning, and let Ferroseed be completely above-ground. That thing creeps me out now.

As nobody is saying it, I will say it: the OW graphics look gorgeous, but also a bit cheap. Maybe because it's their first try to go normal size scale, but everything is edgy and feels like low resolution.

And battle graphics are not different from Gen VI, which is fine, as I like Gen VI battle graphics, more or less.

Last edited:
There's been a lot said today, so this was probably noted by someone else but... they removed the circle bases in battles! It looks a lot better for it too.

I'm liking all the graphical changes seen in the trailer. The human models look good, and the battles look nice too. I think these may end up being some of the nicest looking games on the 3DS.

Dios Mios this looks gorgeous. Its on par with XY, but far less blocky and much more organic. Also loving the fact that night is actually night again, and not a palette change.

yeahh now we can really talk about the graphics... even though the game isnt finished
I really liked the new graphics.. they looked more closer!?
CiG6gpBWMAAyYlb.jpg
pokemon-xy-screenshot1.png

Those graphics are awesome. They really make me wanna play the game.

On the other hand, however, they make me feel like I am looking at an entirely different Pokemon series, more close to a home console game, than a handheld game. As if the home console series (XD, etc) have replaced the handheld series, and it's not something good, in my opinion.

Again, I am very glad that ORAS came during Gen VI, because Gen VI graphics retain all the nostalgia and visual effect, and raw awesomeness of previous generations.

But for the future, those graphics and scale are definitely a step in the right direction, at least at first glance. We need more info, examples, though. For example, we haven´t seen grass yet.

Last edited:
On the other hand, however, they make me feel like I am looking at an entirely different Pokemon series, more close to a home console game, than a handheld game. As if the home console series (XD, etc) have replaced the handheld series, and it's not something good, in my opinion.
i think the new scaling allows for them to have more freedoms with the game. much like the previous sprite-based graphics, the chibi style was kind of just getting worn out. not to mention that although they look fantastic, the style didn't quite translate too well to 3D.

i think the new scaling allows for them to have more freedoms with the game. much like the previous sprite-based graphics, the chibi style was kind of just getting worn out. not to mention that although they look fantastic, the style didn't quite translate too well to 3D.
Yes, the new scaling (home console scaling, as I call it) allows them to create more realistic regions and surroundings. This is both a good and a bad thing, for me. Good, because Pokemon is finally on a realistic world scale and looks awesome, and bad, because I am not sure I wanted for the franchise to be more realistic. I really like the Gen VIworld scale. It is probably my favourite. A hybrid between the mini-world of Gen I-V, and the full scale world of Gen VII.

And I disagree about the chibi getting worn out, however. I think it was the ideal proportions for a handheld game.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom