• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Grass, Fire, or Water?

piplup15

Reaction score
what starter type do you prefer?

Grass = Balance stat evolves quickly. Bulbasaur, Chikorita, Treecko, Turtwig, Snivy.

Fire = More on atk and sp. atk you need patience to train it. Charmander, Cyndaquil, Torchic, Chimchar, Tepig.

Water = more on defense and sp. atk easy to train. Squirtle, Totodile, Mudkip, Piplup, Oshawott.

Personally, I've been a fan of Fire since Red/Blue. I always considered Fire to be hard mode (weak against the first two gyms), Water to be medium mode (Good against first, resistant to 2nd and pummel with normal moves, and weak against 3rd), and finally grass to be easy (effective against first two gyms and resistant to 3rd).

Though that was only generation one, it just stuck with me.

Fire! It's always been my favorite type and most of my favorite Pokemon are fire type too. <3

Infernape, Rapidash, Ninetales, Victini, Reshiram, Typhlosion, all are fire type, wee! I do like several Pokemon of other types though.

Fire because I love Typhlosion XDD But really, most of them have epic high attacks, and I like the fire attacks animation. Especially Fire Blast

Ugh. Everyone's a pyromaniac. Fire sucks, Grass is where it's at.

Underdog type, support heavy, balance of offensive, defensive and utility centered Pokemon, oh and the main types of Bulbasaur, Chikorita, Treecko, Turtwig and Smugleaf Snivy.

Not to mention they have tons of beautiful (Roserade, Lilligant, Sawsbuck, Virizion, Bellossom, Vileplume) Cool (Sceptile, Serperior, Simisage,) cute (Meganium, Whimsicott, Jumpluff, Celebi, Shaymin, Deerling, Leafeon,) tough (Venusaur, Ferrothorn, Torterra, Shiftry,) and Quirky (Exeggutor, Breloom, Ludicolo) Pokemon. Variety for the win.

Fire is all "rawr, look at me, I'm intimidating" and water is all "be careful next time you go to the beach, cuz you might run into ME!" but Grass is a little bit of everything.

In YOUR OPINION, fire sucks. In mine, water is the one that sucks lol. I don't like many Pokemon of that type. Grass is okay.

In YOUR OPINION, fire sucks. In mine, water is the one that sucks lol. I don't like many Pokemon of that type. Grass is okay.

Of course it's my opinion. Wasn't that obvious? Saying something 'sucks' is, by its very definition, an opinion... in this context anyway.

I think all of the water types are extremely useful and cute. But I like all the starters. Fire is generally my least favorite though.

Water here.
The most balanced and certainly the one to choose from.
Sorry Bulbasaur, but this one has always gone and will always be; Water.

I like all the starter types since Generation 1, but I vote for Water, as it's my second favourite type.

Fire is my first choice. It has got my favorite starter after all (Typhlosion) and I really like many other fire types.

Water would be the runner up, because of Samurott and Feraligatr, and it's a very good type. I like plenty of other water types.

Grass is... terrible, in my opinion. Out of the starters, I like Venusaur and Sceptile and I am partial to Torterra. The other two are abysmal, as are most Pokemon of that type. I hardly ever use grass types, with the exception of Venusaur and Liligant.

hehe wanna know mine :)

mine is water(of course, i'm piplup15 xD) they're just beautiful like milotic and adorable like marill, azumarill, mantyke. and badass looking like gyarados, kyogre, blastoise, feraligtr, samurott, swampert, and empoleon. and empoleon is my fave of all xD electric, ground, and fighting is the prob but the rest it has a high resistant thanks to steel xD

2nd is fire... i just like there strength high in atk especially the starter for gen III to V fire/fighting xD

3 is grass... it's ok but it's fine i only like sceptile among all the grass type

ps my first 2 shiny are water types... gold azumarill and red gyarados :)

I've shocked myself. I've always thought Grass types had too many weaknesses to ever rate highly and usually pick the Fire Starter, but after thinking it through, Grass types are my favourite.

Fire types generally have poor defences and weaknesses to Water and Ground moves, never a good thing. Whilst Water types are better for the most part, there are many of them I hate battling and in general. Grass types, meanwhile, are one of the more intellectual types; to use them effectively requires skill, and overcoming their downfalls is largely satisfying. Gen V has brought many great Grass types to help sweeten the deal: Serperior, Whimsicott, Lilligant, Ferrothorn, etc. Plus, My first ever Pokemon was Bulbasaur.

^Thankfully, many fire types can learn moves like Solarbeam and Grass Knot. Even the Sunny Day + Solarbeam combo. I defeated an opponent's Swampert this way with a Typhlosion online once.

Also, fire is the only thing that can truly damage steel types. Otherwise, they're a pain to defeat (they have high defense, so even a fighting type move won't cut it unless you have a Lucario or something with Aura Sphere), especially if your opponent is a Bronzong. Fire is its only weakness.

I'm gonna go with Fire types. Not only do the Pokémon of that type appeal to me, they're also less common in number than Grass or Water types, which makes them more special in my opinion. It's very easy to get a Water or Grass type early on in the game, but its usually not so easy to get a Fire type (and in the cases that you can, its usually very limited in choice).

I also rarely find myself caring too much about defences when casually playing the game, so Fire's typical low defences and common weaknesses do not tend to phase me.

Fire. Many Pokemon of this type excel in sp.atk and speed,which suits my preferences.

^Thankfully, many fire types can learn moves like Solarbeam and Grass Knot. Even the Sunny Day + Solarbeam combo. I defeated an opponent's Swampert this way with a Typhlosion online once.

Also, fire is the only thing that can truly damage steel types. Otherwise, they're a pain to defeat (they have high defense, so even a fighting type move won't cut it unless you have a Lucario or something with Aura Sphere), especially if your opponent is a Bronzong. Fire is its only weakness.

That's not entirely accurate. Depending on it's ability, it'll either have and immunity to Ground moves, meaning Fire is indeed its only weakness, or it's Fire weakness gets removed (Heatproof,) leaving Ground as its only weakness.

Also, having a Grass type move in no way makes them 'honorary Grass types' or anything of the sort. It's just coverage. Many Pokemon have coverage. Fire types still play completely differently from Grass types. In fact, Fire types are probably the single most simple type to use in a game. They're all fast and hit hard, that's literally all you have to think about when using them. Defensive Fire types are generally considered poor Fire types for this reason (think Magcargo.)

It takes little skill to master the quintessential Fire type strategy, which is probably one of the reasons why it appeals so much to so many people. Conversely, Grass types are very difficult to master due to their many weaknesses and the many types that resist it. You have to think out of the box when using Grass types, which isn't easy, and is probably in part responsible for their lack of popularity.

I've shocked myself. I've always thought Grass types had too many weaknesses to ever rate highly and usually pick the Fire Starter, but after thinking it through, Grass types are my favourite.

Fire types generally have poor defences and weaknesses to Water and Ground moves, never a good thing. Whilst Water types are better for the most part, there are many of them I hate battling and in general. Grass types, meanwhile, are one of the more intellectual types; to use them effectively requires skill, and overcoming their downfalls is largely satisfying. Gen V has brought many great Grass types to help sweeten the deal: Serperior, Whimsicott, Lilligant, Ferrothorn, etc. Plus, My first ever Pokemon was Bulbasaur.

This pretty accurately describes how I feel about Grass types. They're my favorite type for a reason (water is a nice second though.)

Nice Oscar pic. btw. Personally, I myself am partial to Elincia.

That's not entirely accurate. Depending on it's ability, it'll either have and immunity to Ground moves, meaning Fire is indeed its only weakness, or it's Fire weakness gets removed (Heatproof,) leaving Ground as its only weakness.

Actually, Heatproof doesn't give an immunity to fire type moves. It only lessens the damage from them. Also, I don't think ground is ever a weakness of Bronzong's... I always thought fighting and fire were the only types that had an advantage against steel.

Also, having a Grass type move in no way makes them 'honorary Grass types' or anything of the sort. It's just coverage. Many Pokemon have coverage. Fire types still play completely differently from Grass types. In fact, Fire types are probably the single most simple type to use in a game. They're all fast and hit hard, that's literally all you have to think about when using them. Defensive Fire types are generally considered poor Fire types for this reason (think Magcargo.)

I never said having grass type moves made any Pokemon "honorary grass types." I was just saying that fire types can cover their weaknesses pretty well. In generally.

It takes little skill to master the quintessential Fire type strategy, which is probably one of the reasons why it appeals so much to so many people. Conversely, Grass types are very difficult to master due to their many weaknesses and the many types that resist it. You have to think out of the box when using Grass types, which isn't easy, and is probably in part responsible for their lack of popularity.

I never said I liked fire types because they're easy to use or anything either. In fact, I find them difficult to use because many of them have crap or mediocre defenses. Or are like Magcargo as you described. Some, like Charizard, even have the downside of having a 4x weakness (Charizard's being rock, for example), making them even more fragile.

Actually, Heatproof doesn't give an immunity to fire type moves. It only lessens the damage from them. Also, I don't think ground is ever a weakness of Bronzong's... I always thought fighting and fire were the only types that had an advantage against steel.

Steel types are weak to Ground, Fighting and Fire. This much is fact. Bronzong is part Psychic, which resists Fightning, making Bronzong take neutral damage from Fighting attacks. It's only two weaknesses then become Fire and Ground.

Levitate makes Bronzong completely immune to Ground moves, meaning Fire is it's only weakness. Heatproof doesn't give Bronzong a Fire immunity, but it does lessen Fire damage to the point where it takes the equivalent of neutral damage from a Fire attack, in effect removing the Fire weakness entirely. This means that Heatproof Bronzong are technically only weak to Ground type moves.

I never said having grass type moves made any Pokemon "honorary grass types." I was just saying that fire types can cover their weaknesses pretty well. In generally.

The same can be said with many Pokemon types. Still, the association made with the original poster praising Grass types for the skill required to use them effectively and your comment on Fire types getting Grass moves seemed to imply an attempt to garner the same praise for Fire types, which is inaccurate. If I read your post mistakenly, then I apologize.

I never said I liked fire types because they're easy to use or anything either. In fact, I find them difficult to use because many of them have crap or mediocre defenses. Or are like Magcargo as you described. Some, like Charizard, even have the downside of having a 4x weakness (Charizard's being rock, for example), making them even more fragile.

I never said you did. I said it contributed to the reason so many people like Fire types. They're easy to master. At no point did I explicitly single you out. And every type has a weakness. Fire's tends to be low defenses. In no way does that make them difficult to use. Steels have very little in the way of offensive presence, yet we all know they're a top tier type despite that shortcoming.

Grass, however, has some of the most off the beaten path characteristics in Pokemon (many weaknesses, key strengths, many types resist them, tons of utility and support moves, plenty of different status moves, etc,) which mean they play less linearly than Fire types (summon, outspeed, kill, repeat) and it takes much more ingenuity to master than the rather simple tactics of Fire types.

Do note that simplicity vs complexity is in no way the same as saying bad vs good. Please don't take it that way. Both types have their merits and both have their drawbacks.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom