• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Grass/Fire/Water again... or something else?

GARGLE!

Reaction score
About the starters in Diamond/Pearl, of course. Do you think they're going to do the same old Grass/Fire/Water combo again, or will they try something else?

I've figured out three other combinations that would work the exact same way as the normal starter type combination... Poison/Ground/Grass, Fire/Rock/Steel, and Flying/Rock/Fighting.

Out of those, Fire/Rock/Steel isn't likely, since Steel-types are resistant to so much and would be kinda unbalanced at the start, when everybody uses mostly Normal, Poison, Grass, etc. moves.

So, if they DON'T use Grass/Fire/Water, it'll most likely be Poison/Ground/Grass or Flying/Rock/Fighting.

I personally would like to see Flying/Rock/Fighting--first off, it's a switch from special-type starters to physical-type starters. Also, it'd be a good reason for them to finally make a Flying critter that ISN'T part Normal.

Fire/Water/Grass sounds likely, and it makes sense anyway. With the announcement that there are no new types in DP, that means there are no type combinations that would work as well - the only thing that occurs to me is Fire/Steel/Rock, and really, that's kind of random.

I'd rather they were new dual types instead. Water/Ground Starter rocked and kept the same water/grass/fire idea BUT with a new addition.

Seems like the best comprimise to me and i'm pretty sure we'll see dual-type starters in D/P following the success of Mudkip and Torchic's lines.

Dual type starters are not a new thing. Bulba was dual type the entire time(Grass/Poison). Pure Grass types did not exist until G/S/C. As for Hoenn's two starters that were not dual type until the first evo, and remained so for the last evo, this was an interesting concept, and I would definitely like to see it again. As for it being dual type the entire time like Bulba, its a pretty farfetched idea, but I guess it could be done as long as the rock, paper, scissors relationship still works. I don't think they will deviate from the set of starter types, as much as people want to see it. I've seen many more people suggest the Fighting/Dark/Psychic relationship, but I think you will agree with me that Psychic pokemon have too much power to be a starter.

Blast. I thought it had Poison, too, but it doesn't. Ok, but still, Bulba was not pure. It remains the only starter to be that way.

Sceptile726 said:
Dual type starters are not a new thing.

Bulbasaur slipped my mind. Mostly because Fire/Fighting and Water/Ground stand out more.

I think that if they want to inject a difference into the formula of the starters, having new dual types is a pretty good idea. They already confirmed that there will be new combinations anyway so litterally starting off with those seems logical to me.

Crimson Flames said:
Dark/Psychic/Fighting would be interesting as well.
The problem is, that's an uneven triangle, since Psychic->Dark is an immunity. For a proper triangle to exist, typewise there must be no advantage or disadvantage - like the aforementioned Fire/Rock/Steel.

Fire->Water: .5x
Fire->Grass: 2x
Water->Grass: .5x
Water->Fire: 2x
Grass->Fire: .5x
Grass->Water: 2x

Fire->Rock: .5x
Fire->Steel: 2x
Rock->Steel: .5x
Rock->Fire: 2x
Steel->Fire: .5x
Steel->Rock: 2x

See?

I also say don't mess with the classics, I don't thing Nintendo will, I also predict all three starters will be dual typed by thier final form. And on a side note, Flying is always a second type, which is why every pokemon that would otherwise be pure Flying is Normal/Flying.

mmm...

I think fire, water and grass is the best pick. However having weird combinations in the end would be intresting:
(3rd level types: )
Fire-Steel
Grass-Psychic
Water-Fighting

Flying doesn't HAVE to be always a second type. A Pokémon which is essentially a living cloud could be pure-Flying type... either that or Normal with Levitate, but I can't see why a nearly-incorporeal thing like a cloud would be immune to Ghost attacks.

Remember, Ghosts were always dual-type until G/S came out. Until G/S there was only one non-dual-typed Grass critter. There weren't any pure-Rock critters until G/S came out. No pure-Steel critters until R/S.

They said there would be new type combinations... Flying and Nothing Else is a new combination. There's no reason Flying has to be a secondary type, besides the fact that it's harder to think up a good Pure-Flying type than it is to think up another Normal/Flying bird.

GARGLE! said:
They said there would be new type combinations... Flying and Nothing Else is a new combination. There's no reason Flying has to be a secondary type, besides the fact that it's harder to think up a good Pure-Flying type than it is to think up another Normal/Flying bird.
There's a reason. Flying is an ability. Pokémon with the Flying Type have the "ability to fly", as in wings, or other ethereal/mythical methods (Jumpluff, Gyarados.). A pure Flying Type would be a pair of wings, or a "windy" creature with two wings. While it wouldn't be crappy, it'd be plain and probably uninteresting for most...

As for the Starters... it's an OK trend. I'm more fed up of the "8 GYMs, Elite 4" trend, as it hasn't evolved much. The Starters are at least different in every Version. Mostly Sweepers, some Tanks, but all interesting Pokémon, because of Type combinations/simplicity, and recently some exclussive moves. The Grass-Water-Fire triangle is also one of the most stable. A change could be good, but I doubt it'd be as good as having the usual ones.

I think they will stay the same, and they should. Dual types are ok as long as they dont interfere with the triangle of balance too much. Marshtomp, Swampert and Charizard are the only examples of that.

Count me in for sticking with the classic Grass/Fire/Water. Another Swampert or Blaziken would be great, though. Interesting evos would be Grass/Water, Water/Fire, and Fire/Grass, though they probably couldn't make that work for starters.

A pure flyer sounds interesting, though not as a starter.

I say they will stick with the Water/Grass/Fire.If they haven't changed the starter elements by now why will they start?

I also think that they might not change it because Water/Fire/Grass are the only elements that can harm one another.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom