• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Contest Grass Starters - Stage One

Reaction score
Spr_1b_002.png
20081125154121%21Spr_2s_153.png
Spr_3r_253.png
Spr_4p_388.png
20151030203113%21Spr_5b_496.png
Spr_6x_651.png
Spr_7s_723.png

When thinking about starters, people often think about the unevolved Pokemon or the final evolution. The middle stages are often overlooked, so let's see if any of these can find some love here! Which one do you like most and why?

I might do this poll for Fire and Water later, but let's just start with my favourite type Grass here. If someone else feels like doing a similar poll for Fire or Water, feel free to create one.

My favourite Pokemon is Bayleef. Adorable, and seeing Ash's Bayleef in the anime definitely helped! But before that, I already thought it was adorable. Bayleef has always been my favourite Pokemon and always will be.

Maniacal Engineer

Mischievous Entity
Reaction score
Grovyle. No questions for me. I like Grovyle so much, and I actually dislike Sceptile, so I tend to keep my Grovyle's unevolved, should I choose to use them over Mudkip or Torchic.

SirOni

Driving You Batty
Reaction score
Like a lot of people I don't think about these mid stages much but I guess I would say that of the Grass-types my favorite one would be Bayleef. It's very cute and full of joy.

Zeb

what is your spaghetti policy here?
Reaction score
Probably Servine. I don't think its design is particularly amazing or anything, I just like how speedy it moves in its animations like in Refresh/Amie. People hate its cry, too, but I quite like it.

tumblr_n6az15BY6I1ttdkobo1_400.gif

CherubCookie

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Bayleef is Baeleef. When reading the title I actually came in here to say chikorita was bae, so it was fortuitous that I could make an even greater pun.

noworry

⋆⋅☆SᴛᴀR☆⋅⋆
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
Ivysaur is cool, I really like Bayleef, because it's really cute, and looks like a dinosaur (I love dinosaurs). In the end I would have to go with Grovyle, though, because of the Mystery Dungeon games.

Last edited:

Gengarzilla

"What do you mean, my Gengarite is contraband?!"
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
I'm sad to see no love for Grotle so far, I think the bushes on its back are a really nice touch and it got me through plenty of stuff in Platinum even before the Torterra days. Ash's Grotle really got me with how hard it worked (until it evolved and became the loser of his Sinnoh crew).

Envoy

Formerly GTT
Reaction score
Bayleef is pretty much the best designed middle stage Starter, let alone Grass Starter. Ivysaur is also really cool. This was back when Game Freak actually bothered to try with these middle evolutions. I'm sorry but most (though not all) of the newer ones feel lazy compared to their evos and prevos.

At any rate, it goes like this:

Bayleef > Ivysaur > Grovyle > Dartrix > Servine > Quilladin > Grotle.

Everything after Grovyle is just not good. Dartrix and Servine are mediocre and Qulladin/Grotle both suck. Though Quilladin barely edges ahead bc of its cool name.

Camille

Call of Fate
Reaction score
I'll go with Ivysaur, although Bayleef is alright, too.

Reaction score
Ivysaur mostly because of, admittedly, bias. Bayleef, Grovyle, and Servine are definitely up there too though, as I also like their designs and full line. Honestly, grass starters are the ones I don't pick often aside from the previous four, the other four lines are hit or miss for me.

Please note: The thread is from 7 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.