• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Greatest Full Battle in the Anime?

Best Full Battle?

• Ash vs Harrison

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ash vs Drake

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Ash vs Paul (Lake Acuity)

• Ash vs Katie

• Ash vs Gary

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Ash vs Leon

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • Ash vs Cynthia

• Ash vs Alain

• Ash vs Paul (Sinnoh League)

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Ash vs Kukui

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Ash vs Sawyer

• Ash vs Tyson

• Ash vs Tobias

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Still Ash vs Paul. I personally refuse to regard anything about Ash vs Leon as something more than a badly written fanfiction.

Still Ash vs Paul. I personally refuse to regard anything about Ash vs Leon as something more than a badly written fanfiction.
Ash earned that win with a top tier team. And Ash vs Kukui was also another excellent match, which I think I personally consider even better than the Paul battle.

One critique I would offer is the fact that Infernape gets three wins. I'm personally not a big fan of when that happens, same with Ash versus Gary with Charizard
Torterra would've deserved a win or two in that battle. That Drapion was way too OP.

I'm not voting by simple metric that I haven't watched a good number of these, but I find this post a good one that sums up my own thought process on any sort of scene in any sort of series:

Context matters a lot. People liked Gary's battle more than Drake's even though I think it's not hard to argue to say the latter is a more enjoyable match because Gary had a lot of buildup since he had been in the show since episode 1 and was the adaptation of R/B/Y's final boss.

Well, I guess this is the perfect time to shill a certain favorite battle of mine as my choice here, then. I imagine that this’ll be a controversial choice here, but I’m prepared to take the heat! Especially because the battle that I’m referring to didn’t even make the poll, for shame. I’m talking about…

…Ash vs. Lisa in the third Pokémon movie.

/shot, walks away bleeding

No, not really, haha. But I do think that — up to that point in the anime — it was probably one of the series’ more impressive battles, namely in just how well it showed what Pokémon battles in the anime are all about. Split-second decision-making in the midst of relentless, real-time assaults from your opponent… analyzing and navigating the battle environment in order to alter the flow of battle to your advantage… strategies that showed off what each individual Pokémon was uniquely capable of in the heat of battle… the best that anime battles have to offer is all here, all on a theatrical-level budget. And it’s also all pulled off in a succinct yet surprisingly engaging three minutes afforded to it by the opening sequence that it simultaneously served as. If anything else, it’s definitely the greatest Full Battle in such a short amount of time, even as other Full Battles obviously far eclipse it as far as emotional stakes and sheer epicness go, haha.

Notably, I also believe that Ash vs. Lisa is the only Full Battle that’s ever taken place during any of the movies. Albeit in slightly truncated form due to time constraints — it’s really more like six consecutive one-on-one battles than a true Full Battle — but the spirit of the format arguably remained intact, at least.

Fight me! /jk, haha

Well, I guess this is the perfect time to shill a certain favorite battle of mine as my choice here, then. I imagine that this’ll be a controversial choice here, but I’m prepared to take the heat! Especially because the battle that I’m referring to didn’t even make the poll, for shame. I’m talking about…

…Ash vs. Lisa in the third Pokémon movie.

/shot, walks away bleeding

No, not really, haha. But I do think that — up to that point in the anime — it was probably one of the series’ more impressive battles, namely in just how well it showed what Pokémon battles in the anime are all about. Split-second decision-making in the midst of relentless, real-time assaults from your opponent… analyzing and navigating the battle environment in order to alter the flow of battle to your advantage… strategies that showed off what each individual Pokémon was uniquely capable of in the heat of battle… the best that anime battles have to offer is all here, all on a theatrical-level budget. And it’s also all pulled off in a succinct yet surprisingly engaging three minutes afforded to it by the opening sequence that it simultaneously served as. If anything else, it’s definitely the greatest Full Battle in such a short amount of time, even as other Full Battles obviously far eclipse it as far as emotional stakes and sheer epicness go, haha.

Notably, I also believe that Ash vs. Lisa is the only Full Battle that’s ever taken place during any of the movies. Albeit in slightly truncated form due to time constraints — it’s really more like six consecutive one-on-one battles than a true Full Battle — but the spirit of the format arguably remained intact, at least.

Fight me! /jk, haha
Pokemon Johto movie version slaps

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom