• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Greatest Full Battle in the Anime?

Best Full Battle?

• Ash vs Harrison

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ash vs Drake

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Ash vs Paul (Lake Acuity)

• Ash vs Katie

• Ash vs Gary

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Ash vs Leon

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • Ash vs Cynthia

• Ash vs Alain

• Ash vs Paul (Sinnoh League)

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Ash vs Kukui

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Ash vs Sawyer

• Ash vs Tyson

• Ash vs Tobias

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One critique I would offer is the fact that Infernape gets three wins. I'm personally not a big fan of when that happens, same with Ash versus Gary with Charizard
The difference is DP Ash switched out Infernape and brought it back in later while OS Ash had no other choice but to use Charizard where it defeated 3 of Gary's pokemon in a row,2 of them being with relative ease.Infernape at least struggled a bit against Aggron/Ninjask before taking them out.

Well, I guess this is the perfect time to shill a certain favorite battle of mine as my choice here, then. I imagine that this’ll be a controversial choice here, but I’m prepared to take the heat! Especially because the battle that I’m referring to didn’t even make the poll, for shame. I’m talking about…

…Ash vs. Lisa in the third Pokémon movie.

/shot, walks away bleeding

No, not really, haha. But I do think that — up to that point in the anime — it was probably one of the series’ more impressive battles, namely in just how well it showed what Pokémon battles in the anime are all about. Split-second decision-making in the midst of relentless, real-time assaults from your opponent… analyzing and navigating the battle environment in order to alter the flow of battle to your advantage… strategies that showed off what each individual Pokémon was uniquely capable of in the heat of battle… the best that anime battles have to offer is all here, all on a theatrical-level budget. And it’s also all pulled off in a succinct yet surprisingly engaging three minutes afforded to it by the opening sequence that it simultaneously served as. If anything else, it’s definitely the greatest Full Battle in such a short amount of time, even as other Full Battles obviously far eclipse it as far as emotional stakes and sheer epicness go, haha.

Notably, I also believe that Ash vs. Lisa is the only Full Battle that’s ever taken place during any of the movies. Albeit in slightly truncated form due to time constraints — it’s really more like six consecutive one-on-one battles than a true Full Battle — but the spirit of the format arguably remained intact, at least.

Fight me! /jk, haha
Meh. I can see what you mean, but I prefer flashier and higher intensity battles. Moreover, movie 3 has never really been amongst my favorites (fight me), because I find Molly to be annoying (fight me some more), even if I understand why she acts the way she does.

Torterra would've deserved a win or two in that battle. That Drapion was way too OP.
That means you have to give credit to whoever raised and trained that Drapion.I had a theory in the past that Drapion was previously owned by Reggie and was given to Paul.

Now I just go with the idea that Paul was the one who found and caught it.Turning Electivire,Ursaring and Drapion into huge powerhouses in just 1 region is impressive.

Ash vs Leon wins, it has an amazing pacing and coreography over its four episodes. It takes elements from Ash vs Paul with the imbalance between participants and the rotating strategies (through admitedly Paul's did that slightly better) and fixed its issue of neglecting Torterra and a couple others. On retrospect, it's quite a feat that the battle managed to show Leon's Pokemon as a menace without undermining Ash's in any moment. Also had a very emotional climax that not only celebrated the current series but the whole anime! I think it will be a while before we get something similar.

A lot of great battles, but I’d say I enjoyed Ash vs Sawyer the most.
Sawyer's strategies were quite clever,he did plan ahead for his battle by putting Ash's pokemon in uncomfortable situations,Greninja vs Sceptile was great and the animation is still the best in the entire series imo.

Last edited:
Ash vs Leon wins, it has an amazing pacing and coreography over its four episodes. It takes elements from Ash vs Paul with the imbalance between participants and the rotating strategies (through admitedly Paul's did that slightly better) and fixed its issue of neglecting Torterra and a couple others. On retrospect, it's quite a feat that the battle managed to show Leon's Pokemon as a menace without undermining Ash's in any moment. Also had a very emotional climax that not only celebrated the current series but the whole anime! I think it will be a while before we get something similar.
Hard disagree. The only thing Ash vs Leon has over the others is animation. It pales in comparison in all other areas - intensity, choreography, pace, lots of awful music choices, overly full of gimmicks, power of friendship bs.

On a character level it would probably be versus Paul. Gary was the OG and Drake the OG SUPER achievement but in pure rival and inportance to Ash it may not be possible to top it.

Worse would be versus Cameron. Wven beyond the obvious the battle has a funky tempo to it.

No votes for Ash vs Drake?

That's my favorite, an even battle where everyone got a chance to shine, I was at the edge of my seat wondering how 10 Moves Dragonite would be toppled, Ash winning is just icing on the cake.

By Saga, IMO...

OS, Kanto-OI: Ash vs Drake
OS, Johto: Ash vs Gary
AG, Hoenn: Ash vs Tyson
AG, BF: Ash vs Brandon, Round 3
DP: Ash vs Paul, Sinnoh League
BW: - Awful when it came to battles, awful -
XY: Ash vs Sawyer
SM: Ash vs Kukui
JN: Ash vs Leon

Overall, not sure...

AG : Ash vs Katie

DP : Ash vs Paul (Sinnoh League)

BW : Ash vs Cameron

XY : Ash vs Alain

SM : Ash vs Kukui

JN : Ash vs Cynthia

--------------------------------------------------------

SS Tier
Ash vs Paul (Sinnoh League)

S Tier
Ash vs Katie
Ash vs Leon
Ash vs Drake
Ash vs Paul (Lake Acuity)
Ash vs Sawyer
Ash vs Kukui
Ash vs Alain
Ash vs Cynthia

A Tier
Ash vs Harrison
Ash vs Tyson
Ash vs Gary

B Tier
Ash vs Tobias

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom