• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Greetings from a born-again Pokémon fan

Reaction score
A few months ago, I decided to embark on something I have not done in a long, long time. For the first time in over a decade, I am playing Pokémon!

It's a bit ironic it took me so long, considering how huge I was into Pokémon as a kid. I'm an old enough geezer to remember when Pokémon first came out, hehe. And like so many other kids at the time, I was all over it. Pokémon was in fact one of my loves out of any fandom. I played the original Red/Blue/Yellow over and over, I watched many episodes of the anime, and my brother and I owned a decent number of the trading cards between the two of us. We probably had around a good 200-300 of them total.

...and then that was pretty much it. As into Pokémon as I was, it turned out to be short-lived. Around mid-Gen 2 I was already starting to drift away from it, and by Gen 3 I had moved on completely. I do remember playing either Gold or Silver, but I didn't get very far into the game before abandoning it.

Several years later, sometime after high school, I gave it another shot, starting again with Gen 1 and intending to work my way up to the newer games, but again it petered out and I only made it partway through R/B/Y. Several years after that, my brother pitched the idea that him and I each play a Pokémon game alongside each other and I was definitely interested, at least initially. This time around I was eyeing HeartGold/SoulSilver. But we only ever talked about it and never got around to it. And then that was truly it for me.

Until now, that is! I have a couple of online friends who are Pokémon fans. After chatting about it with them enough times, one day it hit me suddenly that I wanted to play the games again. And this is what brought me here, as I wanted to get more into the fandom as well. A big hello to everyone here. :)

Currently making my way through LeafGreen. I just defeated Koga. (y)

Thank you everyone! :giggle:

Youkoso! Welcome!
I'm glad you're here--and I'm glad you've found your way back to Pokemon as well!
What's your favorite part about Pokemon?
Probably the games themselves. I did have fun with the anime and TCG back in the day, but the games was where it was always at for me. I used to play a fair bit of Pokemon Stadium too, and my brother and I have battled each other many times on Pokemon Puzzle League as well.

That's nice. You should play HeartGold or SoulSilver after you're done and then take a break.
I am definitely eyeing HG/SS next. Why should I take a break though? ;) Because it's a long game?

Welcome to the forums! and welcome back to the Pokémon world too! :bulbaWave:
How have you been enjoying your return to the games so far?
It's great! I'm having a lot of fun with LeafGreen. Reminds me of how addictive it was back in my childhood too. Already I've caught 20 Pokemon along my journey.

Ahh yes yes! LeafGreen is an amazing game! I'm going through it again right now in a challenge run, it's been an absolute blast as always. The Pokémon games are incredibly fun and I'm thrilled to hear you're going through some of the ones you missed. You're in for a good time! welcome!! <3

Thanks! And yeah, I would like to get caught up on many of the games I missed over the years. I picked LeafGreen first as I still wanted to do the Kanto adventure one more time, and it felt like a good 'jumping back in' place. But it'll be uncharted territory from here on out and I'm excited to experience it for the first time ever.

I'm definitely eyeing HG/SS next. Why should I take a break though? ;) Because it's a long game?
It's arguably the most content-filled game due to two regions, Battle Frontier, 430-ish Pokemon to collect (without trading), and also the Pokeathlon if that tickles your fancy. You don't have to take a break after that, but oversaturation is a thing.

Ah. Well I'm not a 'collect em all' person myself. So far I've just been picking some of the ones that appealed to me the most. If anything, I've reached the point in LeafGreen where it was starting to wear on me the extra work I was creating for myself by training up all of my 20 Pokemon to each be at around the same level, so I may start dialing back on that. But regardless, that is true about the other points. I guess I'll see how I feel after I finish HG/SS. :giggle:

Training 20 Pokemon is a bad idea before you've entered Hall of Fame. In later games it may be possible to train up to 10 Pokemon throughout the main story (the Exp. Share was modified in XY), but in these ones you should really stick to 6.

Also, you'll have a lot of chances to use Kanto Pokemon in later games. If you're like most fans, you will like the ones you didn't grow up with less.

Well I wanted more than just six at least. But conversely, I came to realize that 20 was a bit much too.

If you're like most fans, you will like the ones you didn't grow up with less.

Possibly. Although Snivy/Servine/Serperior have rapidly grown into favourites of mine despite only knowing about them recently.

Once you have the VS Seeker it's reasonably easy to level up a big rotating team. Plus you get a lot of money. :D

Granted, I had fun training them all up initially. It wasn't until around Fuchsia City when it began to get more time-consuming.

But yes, the VS Seeker is a fun feature, and getting rich is always nice. ;)

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom