• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Greninja or Mega: place your bets!

which event shall happen?

• Total voters

fawfulmark2

Reaction score
In this series we have reached an interesting turn point: Ash has the potential to get either:

-a Mega stone, since at least 3 of his strongest pokes use them ( also because of new games and the stupid high popularity of MEGA Charizard

Or

-getting a Greninja, possibly the most popular of all the gen 6 pokes(even getting into Smash Bros.), with only Sylveon potentially being more so, making THE FIRST EVER FULLY EVOLVED WATER STARTER ON ASH'S TEAM...EVER.

So I ask you my friends; which is more likely?

Also if neither one happens, I'm retiring the anime for good, as really Ash has been jerked around long enough.
Just a lil' extra spice added to the wager.

There's a little something I want to point out.

In the 2nd opening, the Mega Ring at the very beginning is usually Black right? However in Episode 35 it's color was changed to Blue. I don't know if this signifies anything, but that was the episode Ash caught Hawlucha, and with ORAS on the way, Hawlucha could potentially get a Mega Evolution as well. Just some room for thought.

However, I'd like Ash to get a Greninja, and have it be the star in the League instead of Charizard. Again.

Given the ridiculous level of focus Froakie has had so far, I reckon we're looking at Greninja. Which would be nice instead of Charizard turning up yet again, but I just wish it wasn't at the expense of Fletchling (And maybe other pokémon later on)

I don't see why it has to be one or the other, I'm hoping for both.

I'd like to see someone other than Charizard as his mega though. Sceptile seems like a good pick, it'd fill his grass-type slot and promote ORAS.

The anime already has enough problems trying to balance Ash's strength - giving him a Mega Evolution would make it so he has a convenient extremely powerful Pokemon that he would either never use, making it look like he's deliberately handicapping himself in difficult battles, or would overuse, which would make his other Pokemon look crap (refer Pikachu in the recent Mega Lucario episodes).

If it does happen, I'd also assume Sceptile will be it, for the ORAS promotion and for the fact that there's no grass type on his team. Mega Charizard would amplify the problem of overpowering part of his team, while a Mega Sceptile is still a grass type, therefore won't.

I think that Froakie will stop at Frogadier. He's not that lucky.

I want both, but for Ash's Mega, I think Sceptile is more likely because of ORAS.

Froakie has a high chance of evolving because of Greninja's popularity.

Last edited:
I can't see Froakie evolving, it is the Piplup/Axew of the series. Maybe it will get to Frogadier I don't know.
I think Mega Charizard Y is much more likely. Mega Charizard X has been shown off twice now (Pokemon Origins, Pokemon Mega Evolution Special) so I think Ash's Charizard will be the first time we see Mega Y.

As for Mega Sceptile, Sceptile has all but been forgotten, I think they will promote Oras in other ways, Serena might catch a Mudkip/Treecko and some other Gen 3 Pokes might appear.

What? Froakie the Piplup/Axew of this generation? How did you get to that conclusion? It's like the Infernape/Sceptile of this gen tbh. I don't see Froakie as a Froakie during all of Kalos saga...

I think the most likely is just a Mega Evolution but I really hope both Greninja and a MEvo happen. I'd rather Sceptile get a Mega Stone than Charizard, though it'll probably end up being Charizard. Hopefully Sceptile will get focus due to ORAS, though.

Greninja is easily the most popular of the Kalos starters, there is a reason he is in the new Smash Bros. From a marketing standpoint it would be stupid to leave him unevolved, which makes me believe it will evolve at some point.

Both are very popular. Both are things we'd all want to see. Which is why I'm betting neither will happen. Ash's water starters have never evolved. Why would this one be any different? As for megavolution, I can see is being held right over our heads... then we watch as some random COtD gets to run off with a Mega Ring while Ash waves "bye" to them.

I'm voting for both, as the possibility of either is pretty high. Let's weigh the situation.

For Mega Evolution, Ash has three options: Charizard, Heracross, and Sceptile. Out of the three, Charizard has the highest chance, not only because he's one of Ash's strongest, but the fact that he has two Mega paths to choose from. Throw in the species' popularity for an even bigger boost there. If Ash does get the chance to Mega Evolve, I would like to either see Mega Charizard Y (who needs some love) or Mega Sceptile (to promote ORAS), both would be killer, but I'm not getting my hopes up there. The downside of Mega Evo is that that Mon would dominate and be his pick-of-the-litter in virtually any and all major battles, leaving the others in the dust and making them worthless. While Ash getting a Mega Evo would really boost his power, I don't want to see his other teammates get overshadowed to that high of a degree. But the way it's been dangling over our heads for a little bit now, it has a pretty good chance of happening.

Moving on, Greninja is the most popular Gen VI Mon and Water starter in general. It is everything Ash looks for in a Pokemon (generally speaking, that is, as he'll raise anything): fast, powerful, and able to perform great feats in battle. Plus, Froakie is his only starter this time, a la Treecko in Hoenn, with a very similar mindset and strategy, so the chances of him not evolving are lower than normal. Considering Greninja's overwhelming popularity, even earning a slot in SSB in the process, Froakie at least evolving into Frogadier is high. Whenever Ash catches a Starter, at least one evolves (Charizard, Bayleef, Sceptile, Torterra, Infernape, Quilava, Pignite), and considering that Greninja is very akin to Sceptile and Infernape in build, strategy, and battle style, Froakie evolving (and breaking the Water starter curse in the process) has a high chance of happening (well, higher than usual, anyway). So Greninja appearing in Ash's arsenal is quite possible.

Overall, both are likely, as there are a fair few reasons for both (there are more, I just can't come up with them right now). Mega Evo has been dangling over our heads for a bit now and Greninja has exploded in popularity that both, or at least one of them, is likely. While I'm leaning more toward Greninja, I voted for both. That's my two cents, spend it however you'd like.

I sure hope Ash gets a Charizardite Y. I mean, it seems that TV Tokyo changed a number of key thing from the past status quo, and I'd really like to see Ash, Pikachu, and Charizard working together again. Of course, Froakie evolving would be nice as well.

Who knows? Given how the battles are much more improved this time around (XY009 battle against TRio, the Cyllage Gym Battle and especially XY002 against Garhomp - the first time when Ash was actually awesome from the arc's start), it would be really troll-y if TV Tokyo doesn't give Ash a proper badass treatment in the form of a Mega-Charizard or a Greninja.

I voted for both. I REALLY want to see Ash with a Greninja. I also want him to be able to use a mega evolution (it's not like he doesn't deserve it).

I would prefer they use Sceptile as the mega Pokemon. It promotes ORAS and it's not Charizard (I love Charizard but let's give him a rest). But if they do use Charizard they better use Charizardite Y or I'm going to flip.

Ash deserves to have a nice looking team for the Kalos region. I just hope the writers allow it.

Righto, so befor I go off to Alaska again for work, I got news that Froakie is a Frogadier now....

It seems one of my 2 hopes is happening!

I voted for both, but I believe it will come with a little let down.... in terms of timing.

Froakie, confirmed to be Frogadier, will evolve into Gregninja, at basically any point of the Anime, probably when meeting one of the Ninja Brothers. And Gregninja will be very good for Ash's Team, and finally make justice for Ash's Water Starters.

Mega though....... I think Sceptile will get it for ORAS advertisement..... BUT! Only after the league...... Believe me, Ash ain't bringing a Mega into the League, because the writers has to make him lose the League.... like always.

Both. I can't see them going to frogadier and not greninja, not with all the hype and excitement of a water type ( starter or otherwise ) finally evolving. I imagine greninja will happen in ash's battle with olympia, and help seal the win with it's newly acquired dark typing, and presumably a newly learned dark-type move to go with it.

As for his mega, charizard and/or sceptile are the obvious contenders, not that i wouldn't want to see heracross or glalie get a chance at it. As for the conditions under which he'll get his bracelet/keystone/mega stones, it's anyone's guess.

On speculative sidenote to my greninja comment, i had an interesting idea recently. As i'm sure most of us know already, frogadier is shown to be the star of ash's battle with ramos, going off against his gogoat. According to the details from froakie's evolution episode, frogadier learns aerial ace after evolving. My idea was that during the battle with gogoat, frogadier takes a grass-type move right after an aerial ace, and frogadier brushes it off like it's nothing. Basically what i'm getting at is frogadier's ability has just been revealed to be protean. Yes, i know there is ZERO chance of this happening, but like i said, i thought it was an interesting idea.

I voted for Greninja, considering it seems to be the Charizard/Sceptile of this generation, it's very likely that it'll evolve all the way to Greninja. Still, I'm getting ready for disappointment just in case.

By the way guys, Greninja is extremely popular, yes, but it didn't get into SSB because of that. Sakurai had made the roster since before the release of X/Y, he just looked at Greninja's concept art and decided to insert him in order to promote X/Y. The fact that he chose the most popular Pokémon in the gen was a complete coincidence, one that worked extremely well but still just a coincidence. So Greninja's popularity has nothing to do with Smash, other than the fact that it got in is going to make it even MORE popular, that is.

I'm thinking a little of both. It looks like Froakie is going to evolve (if he doesn't someone's gonna get beat up for big time trolling), so he's on his way. Likewise, we all know how they like to bring good old Charizard when the need arises.

Calling it now: Ash & Charizard Y vs. Alan & Charizard X before all is said and done.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom