• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Greninja vs Samurott

Startmirca

CANT LET YOU DO THAT !!!
Reaction score
250px-658Greninja.png
VS
250px-503Samurott.png

Greninja and Samurott are both fully-evolved Water starters based on some sort of Japanese warrior.

Whose design do you prefer?

Who has the better pre-evolutions?

Who would win?

Who do you prefer?

Other Kalos vs Unova Starter matchups:

Chesnaught vs Serperior

Delphox vs Emboar

Last edited by a moderator:
Samurott is my favorite final starter evolution. I love its design! Greninja's design is okay. I'm not really fond of the "ninja" thing, but I got used to the design from when it was first leaked and never had a problem with it in-game.

I would say that Greninja would win when it came to its pre-evolutions, though. I like both Froakie and Frogadier. Whereas, it took me forever to warm up to Oshawott, and I still do not like Dewott's design at all.

Who would win? I don't know.

My favorite is obvious. lol

I don't know about stats or movesets, so I'll go with purely design.

Both have awesome concepts : a Ninja, and a Samurai. Greninja has a wonderful Water/Dark typing to back-up its rogue design, but Samurott should have been Water/Fighting in that sense. Typing-wise, Greninja wins.

I love both their designs, so they're tied here.

As for pre-evos... definitely Froakie wins over Oshawott. I only chose Oshawott because of Samurott, but if I ever get XY, I'd be choosing Froakie because of Froakie. Also, Froakie looks great in the anime.

Overall, Greninja wins

Last edited:
To answer shortly, Greninja, Greninja, Greninja, and Greninja. The longer answer:

- Unlike most people, I've always disliked Samurott's design. I love Greninja's tongue scarf though, and the ninja persona it has.
- I like Dewott more than Frogadier, to be honest. Except, I like Froakie more than Oshawott, so I'm just going to go with Greninja again here.
- Errr... Well, I guess Samurott could Mega Horn Greninja, but Greninja might be able to get the KO with it's speed and Protean ability. I guess it's more of a tie here.
- Greninja. Definitely Greninja.

Greninja. His scarf is his tongue. His scarf. Is. His. Tongue.

No but seriously, I've always disliked Samurott. I can't even pin-point why, he just doesn't sit well with me. I think it's because I feel his concept could have been pulled of waaay better than it actually has been in the end. I also immensly dislike Samurott's pre-evos, but that's nothing special, most pre-evos are not my thing. In terms of battle... I really don't care to analyse this. It depends so much on their movesets that trying to say who'd win is insane.

*Read most of comments on thread* I think some people here are voting for the Greninja because he's newer, i see nothing wrong with Samurott.

Greninja is my new favorite water type starter. I was never a big fan of Samurott or the Unova starters in general. I think Greninja would win in battle too because it could change its type to grass with Protean.

Greninja, I like it better in battle, and I love frogs. Samurott has an ok design but I didn't like it much in battle.

Samurott. I just dislike Greninja's design. The bulbous limbs, tongue scarf...ech. I also prefer Samurott's pre-evos to Greninja's, so yeah.

Samurott seems so unpopular all of a sudden :c

Samurott. I love the Oshawott family. Oshawott is adorable, Dewott is adorable and badass, and Smaurott is badass. Oshawott was my first choice in gen five and is the only one I really like.

The Froakie family is actually my least favorite of all of the starter Pokémon. Froakie is ugly, Frogadier is kinda cool, and Greninja is kinda cool, but I don't really like the tongue around its neck and its body looks a bit weird to me.

Ah, the classic samurai vs ninja choice. I wish Game Freak would actually do something with that. Like maybe they could make Samurott and Greninja sworn rivals or something.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with this thread.

In this case, I'm pretty solidly on the Greninja camp.

Even though I like Samurott (I do,) I feel like Game Freak missed a pretty obvious opportunity by not making it a Fighting type (instead, they slapped the type on the Fire Starter...again.) I used Samurott a few times in my Unova games and it was always a solid choice that never disappointed, but I always felt like something was missing. It was as if Samurott was incomplete somehow. Obviously I'm talking about the Fighting subtype here. Pure Water is an amazing type offensively and defensively and I don't mind it at all, but we already had Feraligatr and Blastoise for that. If Samurott didn't look part Fighting, I wouldn't care so much, but it does. Anyway, my point is that I like Samurott, but I'm sad it isn't part Fighting. :(

Greninja, on the other hand, is a freaking ninja. Everything about it screams 'ninja.' Even its movepool. It's so ninja it's not even funny. Spikes, Double Team, Substitute, Mat Block, Water Shuriken, smokescreen... I mean, how much more ninja can you get? This isn't a complaint at all. Ninjas are cool. I'd be disappointed if they had gone with less ninja. No, more ninja is good. The world needs more ninja. In terms of design (besides being a ninja) Greninja seems to be going for the same 'sleek, fast, and smooth but frail' thing that Infernape tried to do, except it actually succeeds at it, so that's another point in its favor.

The only thing I don't like about Greninja is the tongue scarf. Ew.

So yeah, whilst I do like Samurott, I don't love him. Greninja is a Pokemon I've grown to love. Also? Protean is badass.

Greninja, on the other hand, is a freaking ninja. Everything about it screams 'ninja.' Even its movepool. It's so ninja it's not even funny. Spikes, Double Team, Substitute, Mat Block, Water Shuriken, smokescreen... I mean, how much more ninja can you get? This isn't a complaint at all. Ninjas are cool. I'd be disappointed if they had gone with less ninja. No, more ninja is good. The world needs more ninja. In terms of design (besides being a ninja) Greninja seems to be going for the same 'sleek, fast, and smooth but frail' thing that Infernape tried to do, except it actually succeeds at it, so that's another point in its favor.

Greninja's species names is the "Ninja Pokemon", he's so Ninja that he took Sceptile's crown for fastest starter. Hell yeah. He is more ninja than Samurott's samurai. That's how he lets you know that he's a badass ninja! :D

Greninja all the way. I only really liked Samurott's pre evos, and the evolution doesn't even make any sense to me. It goes from an otter standing on two legs to a weird... thing that stands on all four. Greninja stays awesome.

Greninja's is my favorite design hands-down.
Better pre-evos goes to Samurott.
Who would win? It depends on the moves. Greninja's battle moveset is amazing, but Samurott is a good warrior.
Who do I prefer? Greninja.

Whose design do you prefer?
I like both of them conceptually, but I like Samurott a bit more. Granted, both of them have some awkward design aspects at first (Samurott's stance, Greninja's tongue scarf) and are quite the departure from previous stages in the line, but I like Samurott quite a bit. He has that fierce feel and I really like his helmet and the Seamitars.

Who has the better pre-evolutions?
Personally I find Oshawott and Dewott more charismatic, although the concept is good for both of them. Still, Froakie lacks that charisma, and Frogadier is kinda ugly, so I have to go with Samurott's family.

Who would win?
In most cases, Samurott. The only move Greninja can learn to hit for super-effective damage is Grass Knot. That's the only case Protean Greninja would defeat Samurott. In all other cases, he has Megahorn, and with a good Attack score plus Greninja's relatively poor Defense, he would come out on top despite being slower.

Who do you prefer?
Samurott in all accounts. He's my favorite Unova starter and though he's sort of underwhelming, it's the case for the other two as well. Greninja is definitely cool and better than the Unova starters as a group, but he's the one I like the least out of the three Kalos starters, so Samurott wins.

*Read most of comments on thread* I think some people here are voting for the Greninja because he's newer, i see nothing wrong with Samurott.

Why did you copy-paste this on every G5 vs. G6 starter thread? Just because something is newer, it doesn't mean we can't like it more than the older one.

Crap, I meant to vote Greninja but I voted Samurott. I like Greninja better though. First of all, Ninjas > Samurai. I also like Greninja's design better. The tongue scarf is cool. And it's a freaking ninja. Ninjas are awesome. It gets ninja moves like Water Shuriken, Mat Block, Spikes, Substitute, Double Team, Smokescreen and, Toxic Spikes! What samurai moves did Samurott get? Slash, Night Slash, Air Slash, and Swords Dance. Also, Greninja's hidden ability is awesome! It gets STAB on everything! In a battle, Greninja would probably win with STAB Grass Knot and higher speed.

I mostly look at the animal it's based off of...... and while Samurott does get points for having an interesting shelll on its head... I've always had a soft spot for amphibians, so Greninja wins... oh, and that tongue scarf is genius lol.

No need to think, Samurott easily wins my vote.
During 5th Gen, it was my favorite of all starters (until fire fox took over for 6th)
Greninja (and it's two pre evos) just look ugly for me, once I found out that scarf is it's tongue in a way sort of 'grossed me out'

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom