• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Growlithe line VS Larvesta line

Re: Growlith line VS Meraruba line

Ulgamoth..
It has more variety move pool. Bug Buzz, Flamethrower, Butterfly Dance (which is so awesome), etc.
Ulgamoth has high sp atk, spd and sp def which is a killer machine stat.

Ulgamoth for me. I prefer Bug-types and Ulgamoth is able to boost its stats with Butterfly Dance.

Volcarona has great stats, awesome design and movepool, but Arcanine is also great, my vote is still Volcarona's though

Volcarona pwns Arcanine easily in all possible ways. And guess what? Volcarona is a BUG, and I <3 bugs.

Weird, I'm doing a bit of research and I could have sworn Arcanine was capable of using a Rock-Type move like Rock Slide.

Anyway, most of Arcanine's attacks, except for Aerial Ace (which isn't often seen on Arcanine movesets), hit neutrally, and also Arcanine mostly uses physical moves, which takes advantage of Volcarona's admittedly less-than-stellar physical defenses.

Volcarona, at first glance, has nothing going for it. All STAB moves hit at half power, more than negating the greater difference between Volcarona's Special Attack Vs Arcanine's Special Defense (55, as opposed to the 45 point difference between Arcanine's Attack Vs Volcarona's Defense). Also, the only natural attack Volcarona has that is capable of hitting Arcanine neutrally is the highly inaccurate Hurricane, and most Arcanine run with Sunny Day in their movesets or on their teams. This reduces Hurricane's accuracy to just 50%. The only moves that Volcarona has that are capable of really damaging Arcanine are Hyper Beam and Psychic. And since Hyper Beam has that problem of recharge-for-a-turn, Psychic is really Volcarona's only offensive option.

So it looks like the winner is Arcanine by default, right? WRONG! Looking at Volcarona's moveset, we see a secret weapon that pairs nicely with Volcarona's superior speed (which is kind of ironic, considering that Arcanine is supposed to be able to run 6,200 miles in just one day, and I have to admit that Volcarona does not look very fast).

Whirlwind. Volcarona can just blow Arcanine away in favor of a more vulnerable Pokemon, then use it's superior speed to decimate whatever comes out. It is highly unlikely that Arcanine would be capable of OHKO'ing a healthy Volcarona, so this strategy works perfectly.

The new bug/fire type looks awesome, but my favorite Fire type in the whole series wins, Arcanine.

Arcanine is one of the strongest non-legendary Pokémon, but then again, so is Meraruba. However, I prefer Arcanine, because it is one of the "original" Pokémon, and looks better than Meraruba.

Oh, and sure, Arcanine can run superfast, whatever.

When the sky was darkened by ash so very long ago, the fire from Volcarona's wings was used to replace the SUN.
THE SUN!!!
Try beating that, doggy. What do you do? Some police work? Certainly not as spectacular as making DAY, huh? Making CROPS grow, keeping MORALE high in the times of darkness.

Boo yah.

Arcanine, for it's awesome design and stats.

I would like to quote a recent article by Smogon University as a rebuttal to the issue on Stealth Rock. This quote comes from the "Competitive surprises of Gen V" and under the subarticle "Pokemon we thought would suck but are Awesome."
Smogon University said:
Volcarona

This Pokemon got a lot of time in the limelight when it was first revealed. It has some seriously legitimate stats that make it ideal for the role of special sweeper, but what really got people going back and forth on it in speculation was its typing: Fire / Bug. Any savvy Pokemon player knows what those two types on the same Pokemon means; yep, you guessed it, Volcarona is 4x weak to Stealth Rock. Needless to say, this sparked debate after debate, all of them ending with "This Pokemon might be good in UU". All that changed after our researchers unearthed and documented the moves that Volcarona learned. Of the movepool, one move with pitiful distribution stood out: Butterfly Dance.

Butterfly Dance changed everything for Volcarona; we busied ourselves trying to see what that move actually did, and when we did, it was shocking. Volcarona's best stats, its Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed all get boosted one stage with one turn of setup. This turns Volcarona into a very menacing sweeper if given a chance to set up. However, the community still claimed it would be held back by the Stealth Rock weakness.

Where did we go wrong? The error of our ways was that Stealth Rock was no longer the most dominant force in the metagame as it once was in DPP. Don't get me wrong, it's there, but with Pokemon like Excadrill and Starmie packing high-Speed Rapid Spins and the loss of Rotom-A as a spinblocker, keeping hazards up is so much harder. Factoring that into our equation, it turns out that Volcarona is a far better Pokemon than any of us ever anticipated, and is a definite contender in 5th generation OU.

See? Partner up Volcarona with Excadrill, especially on doubles, and you will have an unstoppable force.

Volcarona has far too awesome of a design. I loved it from the moment i saw it ♥

It's interesting to note that out of the 54 people who voted, none voted that they didn't like either.

Arcanine is one of my all time favourite Pokémon, so the choice's not hard. It has an awesome design, awesome stats, altough it's movepool is a bit small. However, Flametrower + Dragon Pulse covers every types in the game, so that makes up for it. It can be either physical or special sweeper too.
Arcanine shall prevail!

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom