• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Grusha Appreciation Thread

I appreciate both the design and the gender confusion :p

(I did actually believe the english site had typo'ed and he was a girl at first, because those pants are about as form-fitting as ski pants can be, and GF seem unable to not showcase their ladies' legs. Men in PLA had baggier pants than he does. But they're ikemen pants it seems, i see. :p)

I'd say the only thing I don't like about Grusha's design is the fact his eyes are the same color as his hair. Like. I am getting real tired of so many videogames giving characters the exact same hair and eye color. I can't remember when I first noticed it, but now I can't stop noticing it. I makes a design a little more bland to me. Like instead of thinking about a character's design like that they're just theming them based on color in my eyes. ...No pun intended. God no.

I love his scarf though. That pokeball on the end is adorable. I would be incapable of not using that thing as a soft flail to smack people with.

(I also find the singular thick 3D modeled eyelash weird too.)

As someone who has both brown hair and brown eyes...what's the big deal about him having the same hair and eye color? Or like any character having that for that matter? It's a thing that happens in real life, sky blue everything is just the weird anime color version of it.

Also something I've noticed, looking up the name Grusha...it's an actual name and not just the Russian word for Pear. But at the same time it's considered strictly feminine unlike Sacha or other names ending in -a. However, the full name that Grusha is a diminitive of is a unisex Roman/Sicilian name, Agrippa, which means "wild horse."

As someone who has both brown hair and brown eyes...what's the big deal about him having the same hair and eye color?
I too have brown hair and brown eyes (brown hazel but from a distance you can't really tell they aren't pure brown). The difference is that in real life human genetics hair and eyes have a very limited pool of possible options (you won't find someone with pink, black, blood red eyes in real life unless they have contact lenses). Brown hair and brown eyes are literally the only combo of natural eye and hair colors that you would find. You won't find someone naturally with blue eyes and hair or green eyes and hair. Or yellow eyes and hair. Someone may have dark colored eyes... but their eyes are not going to be black and match their hair.

This isn't the case in anime and other things like this. Hair and eyes can be literally any color of the rainbow. So why pick the exact same color for both? Genetically it would be even less likely for someone to have the exact same hair and eye color with so many possible combinations.

Let me use some of my own original characters from a story I was writing years ago as an example. Five of the characters are goddesses based off the elements of water, earth, air, fire, and 'spirit' (light and darkness elements under one name). I could have just given each of them hair and eyes matching the symbolic color of their elements (blue, green, yellow, red, and purple) but I chose to be more creative than that. The goddess of water has sea inspired blue-green hair, and her eyes are glacier blue. Earth has dark brown hair with a few green vines flowing through it naturally, but her eyes are more of a grey dominated brown hazel. The goddess of air has very long blonde hair, said to have been bleached by the scorching desert sun of the land she calls home, while her eyes are as blue as a cloudless sky at noon. Fire has whispy black hair resembling smoke and her eyes are a bright orange like visible hot magma in the cracks of otherwise blacked, hardened magma flows. The goddess of spirit has pale brown hair and heterochromia. One eye is a pale lavender while the other is a dark warm purple.

While each goddess's hair and eye color fit in with their elemental traits, I still put more thought into it than 'fire girl got red hair and red eyes because fire. yes.' Even when the hair and eyes are in the similar area of a color wheel, I used different shades and tones. Grusha's eyes, colored eye shine, and eyelashes are literally just pulled from his hair color. It just makes the character's design a little more stagnant and one note for me.

Then again, maybe its just more evidence that humans are basically just pokemon. And more recently for some reason humans in the pokemon world are devolving back into homogenous visual representations of whatever type they're most affiliated with. :p

Ice prince! Ice prince! Ice prince!!!!

He's my personal favourite design from all the scarlet and violet humans so far. I also found the confusion over his gender very funny
Hmmmm... I hope that he will have an Froslass or an other elegant ice pokemon how glaceon and not such a butternuts like Vanilluxe. For me he is like Allister and should live his character fully out in his Pokemons.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom