• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GS (no C) Virtual Console Thread

Defiant

Pokemon Gotta Catch ... Some Of Em ???
Reaction score
So they have announced 2/3 of what we expected that GSC would be coming to the VC this year in the Autumn. Only thing is, Suicune and Crystal seem to have been given the cold shoulder. Despite Yellow being released with Red and Blue.

Some are speculating it's because Crystal is vastly superior to Gold and Silver, well charge $1 more then, Yellow was vastly superior to Red and Blue and still came out with the others.

Will you be getting GS on VC, if so what will your team be, or are you waiting for Crystal, and holding out hope?

I've seen people theorize that they won't be re-releasing Crystal because the Japanese version had a mobile phone wifi thingy... but that wasn't an issue with DS games on Wii U Virtual Console.

Maybe they're holding onto Crystal for the Switch's VC? I mean, would it really be surprising for Game Freak to double-dip on something?

But yeah, it being left out because of the mobile phone adapter thing makes some sense to me. Especially since that business was all Japan-exclusive. It's a bit of an awkward situation to be in: Do they work out a special way to restore functionality to the Japanese Crystal's PCC, only to leave it out of the international versions? Or do they include it in the international versions anyway, despite that contradicting historical fidelity? I suppose that makes me understand the decision a bit more.

Still, what a shame. Stuck we are with the uglier and/or more limited versions of the Burned Tower, Ice Path, Dragon's Den, Ruins of Alph, etc.

And no Legendary Beast music. :C

Last edited:
I already own Gold and Silver. All I was interested in was CRYSTAL. AND THAT´S THE ONE THEY DECIDE TO NOT RELEASE. I am kinda mad. I still hope they release Crystal as well, a month later or something.

If not, I am not buying any of those. As I said, I am only interested in buying Crystal, as I never played it. And it has a Battle Tower, while GS don´t. I am not gonna buy a game without a postgame battle facility, that´s for sure. Being a Battle Tower, or a Battle Frontier, I don´t care, but I need my postgame infinite battles in every game I buy.

I am very annoyed with this decision to hold back Crystal, I hope it does get released after GS.

Last edited:
I already own Gold and Silver. All I was interested in was CRYSTAL. AND THAT´S THE PNE THEY DECIDE TO NOT RELEASE. I am kinda mad. I still hope they release Crystal as well, a month later or something.

If not, I am not buying any of those. As I said, I am only interested in buying Crystal, as I never played it. And it has a Battle Tower, while GS don´t. I am not gonna buy a game without a postgame battle facility, that´s for sure.

I am very annoyed ith this decision to hold back Crystal, I hope it does get released after GS. Even if it is just the Western version, and Japan doesn´t get the Japanese one.

Surely they can release the Japanese one in Japan without the Mobile thing? Just as they removed the Gambling Machines from Platinum.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to this. Gen 2 are comfy games, especially at night time. Shame it isn't releasing in the summer, playing this on summer nights would be the comfiest feeling.

There's also the fact I can get a Regenerator Ho-oh too, if VC Pokemon still have their HA upon transfer. :D (Ho-oh is one of my favourite legendaries.)

Really looking forward to this. Gen 2 are comfy games, especially at night time. Shame it isn't releasing in the summer, playing this on summer nights would be the comfiest feeling.

There's also the fact I can get a Regenerator Ho-oh too, if VC Pokemon still have their HA upon transfer. :D (Ho-oh is one of my favourite legendaries.)
I'm so jelly D: I hope Gold and Silver are out for the VC where I live. But I have little hope because they didn't bring in RGBY...

I'm so jelly D: I hope Gold and Silver are out for the VC where I live. But I have little hope because they didn't bring in RGBY...

Where do you live? They announced it (RBY) as worldwide.

Do you get ordinary main series games like Sun/Moon etc?

I don't want GS. I wanted Crystal. I won't buy any of these. If they don't release Crystal then I'll pass on them (I already have the original GS and HGSS)

Exactly, I bought VC yellow for the chance to have Pikachu as my starter, feeling like Ash etc, catch Mew and send it to Bank (its a long glitch to change your ID but its worthit) and to play that surfing game I never got to play, so for £10 there was a decent amount of reasons to buy it.

GS however, have no advantage over HGSS, expect maybe Hidden Abilities. I've never played Crystal, but was willing to give it a go. But it seems to have been ditched.

Yeah, considering I have HG, I'm only really particularly interested in Crystal, so it's kind of a shame they seem to be withholding it. I wish they'd at least give the justification.

I'm not minding too much the lack of Crystal. I've finished Crystal waaay too many times and never finished even the Johto part of GS, so this is my chance :p

I never played Crystal, and it's surprising they wouldn't announce it along with the others. But I'd be very surprised if they don't release it at all. So here's hoping for a 2018 release.

They might be keeping it for the Switch since its new Classic Game service includes adding online multiplayer to NES games.

Not holding my breath, though. And I wouldn't buy a Switch for that.

Back
Top Bottom