• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GS (no C) Virtual Console Thread

I'm not buying these releases. I'll just wait for Crystal if I really want the original old school experience. (Though honestly, I prefer HeartGold/SoulSilver and think they are a far better way to go through Johto.)

My reasoning is that I've already played G/S so so many times, so I've really experienced everything there is to get out of them. Crystal still has some strange extra things in it though, and it might still offer something new for me.

And if they never release it, well, that's on them. I'll just go play HeartGold again and be perfectly fine with that.

E3 will hopefully shed some light on the fate of Pokemon Crystal being released potentially on Nintendo Switch, however, if they do release Crystal for Switch, then I see no reason why Gamefreak wouldn't also release GS on Switch as well, and as such, I doubt Gamefreak's plan is to just release GS on 3DS and Crystal on Switch just because. If Nintendo Switch will get Crystal, then it should also receive GS as well.

While they're at it, they may as well put RBY on Switch as well, and have all of Gen I and II on the same console.

E3 will hopefully shed some light on the fate of Pokemon Crystal being released potentially on Nintendo Switch, however, if they do release Crystal for Switch, then I see no reason why Gamefreak wouldn't also release GS on Switch as well, and as such, I doubt Gamefreak's plan is to just release GS on 3DS and Crystal on Switch just because. If Nintendo Switch will get Crystal, then it should also receive GS as well.

While they're at it, they may as well put RBY on Switch as well, and have all of Gen I and II on the same console.

I see zero reasons why Crystal would ever be on Switch.

I wonder if the Mystery Gift function will still work. There are some room decorations that I never got to use when I originally played the games, and I'd love the chance (especially after they didn't include room decoration in HGSS). Hell, that feature is a big reason why I wanted VCs in the first place...

Was there any VC news today? I didn't see any, sadly..

Was there any VC news today? I didn't see any, sadly..

There wasn't, no.

I'm kinda surprised Crystal wasn't announced alongside G/S, honestly.
Call me a party pooper, but I don't see them announcing Crystal for VC on its own unless it's releasing at a later date for some reason.

On a completely unrelated note, in the game data of SM, Game Freak suddenly introduced a new menu sprite for the Spiky-eared Pichu, despite SEP only appearing in HGSS and being non-transferable from those games. Lore-wise, SEP is a Pichu that was mutated by traveling through time with Celebi.

Now, of course, adding that menu sprite could just be an example of inexplicable Game Freak weirdness. In fact, it probably is. But what if, as a sort of Easter egg, Pichu that are transferred from the Gold & Silver VCs turn into Spiky-eared Pichu upon arrival in the Bank? In a way, they've "traveled through time"... well, it's just a sudden, probably-wrong thought. But then again, part of the whole point of these VCs was to "fix" the mistake of not being able to have the Gen 1 and 2 games be compatible with the rest. SEP being locked into HGSS is another transfer-related hiccup they could want to remedy. Not for any grand reason so much as just for the hell of it since these VCs happen to coincide with Pichu's native generation, but still.

Last edited:
I don't know if they'll bother referencing HGSS like that, despite that sprite. I am surprised that Yellow's Pikachu didn't get anything, if to be honest. Or maybe I shouldn't be considering the terrible anime promotion this year.

Hopefully they put Crystal on the Switch or something. Very low chance that I'll get GS.

I didn't even notice them not including Crystal to the GS VC release. I probably won't bother with them, since Crystal is the one game out of the three that I would specifically like to play. I hope they announce it soon. D=

If they don't, you might want to look into a certain polished Crystal hack. It has a lot of cool changes.

Back
Top Bottom