• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GS (no C) Virtual Console Thread

A throwaway comment in an interview is not confirmation. Their plans are undecided and probably rely on how the subscription service is received.
Aren't you using PR on justifying how USUM are third versions and not sequels?
By all means, VC and Online Subscription is separate now.

The 3DS VC games lack online features, obviously
I didn't know that. I accept my mistake there.

This "they're separate" tangent is irrelevant to the argument I'm making (which is that online would be the only valid reason to make Crystal Switch-exclusive). But I maintain that an interview comment is not the same thing as a press release. The latter should never be non-commital.

I just remember someone datamined the pokebank and find a GO symbol what if that is the GS symbol instead maybe the S looks like O and we will never see a pokemon transfer from GO to pokebank

No, the VC games have separate placholders right after the GO one, and there is actually room for Crystal, too. But not every single placeholder has to be used, which is always the case.

I heard the rereleases also work with the Time Capsule.

I've seen people theorize that they won't be re-releasing Crystal because the Japanese version had a mobile phone wifi thingy... but that wasn't an issue with DS games on Wii U Virtual Console.
They released the original Crystal in the west without the mobile wifi thing, and you'd think it would be easier to accommodate that feature since the 3DS has built-in wifi.

Maybe they're just taking longer because they have to figure out the logistics of implementing it (e.g., having a server)

Or because it is vastly superior they just want to let GS get some sales before releasing Crystal.

The policy for the 3DS VC is to make as few changes to the base ROM as possible. I don't understand why they didn't make the Japanese version like the international one, but I never expected them to make Crystal the only online-enabled game for the 3DS VC since that would mean a server just for it.

That idea is more likely for the Switch since it's happening for NES games that had no form of online communication to begin with, and I'm assuming those games share a server. It would make sense if they released Crystal for the VC with online features, but just flat out ignoring it for now does not fill me with hope. Now they'll wait until the first main series game for Switch, and that probably means not doing anything with Crystal for two years, if they ever do anything at all... At the end of the day it is just a third version (like certain other games, lol) and most people know very little about the Mobile Adapter.

Last edited:
Like a few others have said, I would go for Crystal if they were putting it as an option. I never got to play it, but I did rack up hundreds of hours in both Gold and Silver which are ultimately my favourite games from the franchise.

I don't get why they're waiting till September to release though? Surely its very little work to get them to work on the VC emulator?

For RGBY, they also took three months between the announcement and release date. Granted, the anniversary justified that, but they arguably announced the games too soon. This time the announcement is supposed to make people consider buying USUM...

It's probably not so much emulating them as it is the pokemon bank and servers etc. I don't think their connectivity is actually ready right now, coupled with testing and banlists and whatnot, and even if three months is too far away for that they do like to wait for releases anyways.

And if that's the case, then I think that Crystal's mobile adapter might've been deemed too complicated to deal with to slow the GS release. But also, I agree that unlike say Yellow or Blue having netplay is so much of an improvement that it'd eat Gold and Silver.
This all mostly suggests to me that they might have considered that releasing a Crystal version that just disabled the entire thing more unacceptable than simply not releasing it at all, at least for now.

Also this is all for the japanese version. I'm nearly certain the international version will just be without netplay even though released alongside the japanese version.

I think it could be that as Yellow vastly outsold Red and Blue when released at the same time they want to let Gold and Silver get some sales in before releasing Crystal. I honestly didn't understand anyone buying Red/Blue VC instead of Yellow unless they specifically wanted an Ekans or something.

Alternatively, if they are waiting to work out how to fix this Mobile connection thing, I'll forgive them if it's international (pretty sure the western ones had the ability to receive the GS Ball and hold the event but no actual release, is that right?) and everyone gets a chance to get the GS Ball and get Celebi. Because to me HGSS were the closest to perfection a game has ever been, the only slight fault I gave it was the removal of the GS Ball event.

Sana said:
Also this is all for the japanese version. I'm nearly certain the international version will just be without netplay even though released alongside the japanese version.
What? That would just piss off non-Japanese fans all over again. At least it made sense in 2001 when cell phones were only popular in Japan.

Alternatively, if they are waiting to work out how to fix this Mobile connection thing, I'll forgive them if it's international (pretty sure the western ones had the ability to receive the GS Ball and hold the event but no actual release, is that right?) and everyone gets a chance to get the GS Ball and get Celebi.
The items and in-game events are there, and so is a number of stuff unused (like the entire Pokémon Communication Center), in various degrees of functionality. The distribution of the GS Ball was adapted to the normal Pokémon Center and just not given out (which would've been by mystery gift?), but if they were to put in the mobile thing I'd guess they'd restore the PCC and the downloaded event there?

What? That would just piss off non-Japanese fans all over again. At least it made sense in 2001 when cell phones were only popular in Japan.
I don't know, maybe I'm too cynical. It wasn't in the game they'd be re-releasing, a number of people don't really know about it, and it would require either non-trivial changes to the game itself or elaborate workarounds all specifically on the international branch of the development. I can see them deciding not to.

On the other hand, looking back they did want to have wireless enough to get somewhat halfway in development for the original international version, and it's kind of an importand deal in the games in general, so I'm not so sure about discarding the idea anymore.

It doesn't matter if non-Japanese people didn't experience it. They would definitely complain if only the Japanese version had it at this point after over a decade of all versions having online features.

And yeah, most of the text was translated.

Genuinely upset Crystal isn't included, I'd have paid $15 to get it too.

Also no Crystal is a giant middle finger to all girl Pokémon fans that may have been looking forward to playing as a girl since Crystal was the first game to offer that choice.

My theory why we're not getting Crystal (yet): sales. Most people would buy Crystal if it came out on the same day as Gold/Silver, the pair would be overshadowed greatly as more people would buy Crystal. I do hope we get it someday.

As for what version i wanna get, I'm thinking Gold cuz I have SoulSilver. This would be my first time playing a Gen 2 game.

Back
Top Bottom