• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GSC Playthrough Thread (VC releases)

So....I wiped Team Rocket off the map for good (until Kanto,) but honestly, playing two games at once is getting pretty draining. Im'ma take a break before I challenge Clair.

Okay, so it's not enough to beat Falkner before heading south out of Violet City, you also have to receive the Togepi egg. Otherwise the NPC heading south will just ask you to sit back and enjoy the railroading.

Okay, so it's not enough to beat Falkner before heading south out of Violet City, you also have to receive the Togepi egg. Otherwise the NPC heading south will just ask you to sit back and enjoy the railroading.
This game's still much better about it than in some of the later generations.

• I finally beat Red with a team in the 60s I never thought I'd made it. The Espeon nearly wiped out my entire team though
  • I also caught Raikou in the exact same way as Entei (after the Hall of Fame, I appeared at New Bark Town, walked through the first route and boom! There it was) Weird.
  • Going to complete the pokedex now. Or as much as I can with a single game and no one to trade with.

Last edited:
This thread can now be used to discuss Crystal's VC release. Post your progress, discuss the game in general, etc.

Let's get some discussion going! How far along are you? What's your current team? What's your planned team? Are you taking your time or rushing along?

I decided to go with Totodile this time around. Just beat the first gym leader, went down to Azalea town pretty quickly without fighting a whole lot of trainers. Trying to find an Oddish now. I haven't even done Sprout Tower yet, because I'm not interested in any of the early-game Pokemon in my party.

Eevee (Darwin) Lv. 22
LOVE THE NAME (and i do understand the reason for it charles and his evolutionary theory and the five eeveelutions)

There doesn't seem to be a real in-game reason to defeating the Kanto Gym Leaders beyond...they're there. You're sorta playing Ash at that point. Get to a new region; challenge the Gym Leaders. It's what you do.

There were absolutely a ton of trainers in Kanto. The reason GSC Kanto was so barren was because of the lack of areas like the Safari Zone, Cerulean Cave, and Viridian Forest.

the main reason was the fact that G/S were largely because of cart storage limits basically Game boy games with GBC enhancement and its because of this Crystal is a Color only game
for example the biggest cart ever released for the original gameboy line was 8 Megabit which in Megabytes is 1
other size carts realeased for the original game boy were 256 kb, 512 kb, 1 Mb, 2 Mb, 4 Mb
Mb for megabits and kb for kilobits
carts for the color could include all those sizes and more up to 64 Megabits or 8 Megabytes

HOPE THAT HELPS

But back on to the more important stuff

i started Pokemon Crystal on friday and got a female chickorita as my starter. I plan on headbutting some trees after i get headbutt to get level 10 Nocowl or 2 and possibly a beedrill to
other then that because of pokemon backlog this i going to be very long drawn out play through

PS @Zeb what happened to the R/B/Y VC thread

Last edited:
So I started Crystal last night. Just beat Falkner and Sprout Tower, and my current team is Totodile, Phanpy, and Growlithe. No idea who else I'll end up adding.

LOVE THE NAME

Thanks!! Glad someone noticed haha

EDIT: Realized I never continued to update the thread on my Gold run from the Fall. I did finish it (Well, Johto at least. I quit after Beating the League the first time). Polnareff the Scyther never evolved, of course, because I never could manage to find a trade partner. Literally nobody I know besides myself plays Pokemon as much as me - especially not Virtual Console. And now that Crystal is out, I guess there's no point in going all the way to Mt. Silver to beat Red in Gold version. Anyway, final team was:

Krakatoa the Typhlosion
Roy the Nidoking
Polnareff the Scyther
Darwin the Espeon
Tesla the Lanturn
Saturn the Ursaring (The last addition to my team, caught him on my way to the Pokemon League and ended up really loving him)

Last edited:
The Odd Egg is REALLY getting on my nerves, I wanted to get a shiny Elekid for my playthrough but am perfectly willing to settle for Pichu, the problem is, not only have I not gotten either as shiny, I haven't actually gotten anything as shiny, I'm about 20 eggs in, with all 20 being non-shinies. Where's my 14% chance at???

Last edited:
The Odd Egg is REALLY getting on my nerves, I wanted to get a shiny Elekid for my playthrough but am perfectly willing to settle for Pichu, the problem is, not only have I not gotten either as shiny, I haven't actually gotten anything as shiny, I'm about 20 eggs in, with all 20 being non-shinies. Where's my 14% chance at???

I'll look more into it but if i remember right its 14% for all the Odd Egg pokemon combined meaning your odds are actually around 2% per each of the 7

I just hatched my Odd Egg and it ended up becoming a Shiny Igglybuff. I don't feel like resetting at all, but I guess I am glad that I got to hatch a Shiny Pokémon.

So I did end up hatching a shiny Igglybuff, then I reset and got my shiny Elekid.

We’re having a fun vs. competition with the following ruleset:

-All battling Pokémon must be within 10 levels of each other (to encourage training a balanced team)
-Game clocks must be the same or close
-You must bring the max number of Pokémon to a battle (so that we can’t just overlevel a starter and only use that).
-Can use one non-Uber legendary on the team, and additionally, one Uber legendary post-Red.
-We will battle at the following set intervals:

Johto League:

3 Badges/Goldenrod City: 2v2
6 Badges/Olivine City: 3v3
8 Badges/Pokemon League: 4v4

Kanto League:

2 Badges: 1v1
4 Badges: 6v6
6 Badges: 2v2
Post-Red/Mt. Silver: 6v6

Me and my friend both ended up picking Cyndaquil cuz I thought he’d take Totodile and he thought I’d take Totodile, we had our first battle in Goldenrod City, my Quilava and Elekid vs. his Quilava and Growlithe, I pulled off the win for that one.

We met in battle again at Olivine City where we had a 3v3 battle, my Typhlosion, Gyarados, and Electabuzz vs. his Typhlosion, Gyarados, and Nidorino. I got that win too but only due to some good switches and then a surprise thunder punch onto his Gyarados by my Typhlosion.

We’re both on our way to the Pokémon League with a little over 13:00 on the clock, we aren’t playing side by side anymore but we’ve agreed to get to the Pokémon League and do all our catching and training by 15:00 IGT. I’ve got a few tricks up my sleeve for this one, like going for Suicune and I just evolved my Eevee into an Espeon in Blackthorn City. I think I’ll probably ditch the Shellder I’m preparing until I can get ahold of the water stone in favor of my newly obtained Dratini whom I plan on training into at least a Dragonair but we’ll see.

Last edited:
So my original plan was to use Pidgeot on my team... and then Goldenrod Gym happened. It was going pretty standard- Quilava destroyed Clefairy... Miltank destroyed Quilava... Miltank destroyed Pidgeotto... Miltank destroyed Psyduck... and those were the only three team members I had so far, so time to try again, right?

Wrong. I still had one Pokémon left. I had gotten Kenya, and hadn't yet delivered him yet. With nothing to lose, I sent out Kenya.

And. I. WON.

Pidgeotto had previously hit Miltank with a few Mud-Slaps, and Quilava had gotten in a Smokescreen. I was able to have Kenya just spam Peck while Miltank missed every single Stomp, and before I knew it, I had toppled the Miltank of Death with a level 10 Spearow.

After that performance, no question about it, Kenya had friggin' earned a place on the team. So yeah- Pidgeotto's in the PC, the mail was moved to a random Rattata before being delivered- oh, and Kenya's luck didn't stop there. After the Gym, I swung by the Radio Tower to do stuff, and guess who won me a PP Up in the Lucky Number Show. I also gave the rest of the team nicknames- didn't seem right for only two members of the team to have nicknames, after all.

Anyway, right now, I just got out of the Lighthouse. Gonna head on out to Mahogany to do a little leveling up before properly heading out to Cianwood (I ninja'd my way past the Swimmers to get Shuckie ASAP, gonna actually fight them this time). Here's the team so far;

Shuckie the Shuckle, male, lv. 24
~Strength
~Swagger
~Wrap
~Rollout

Aurora the Lapras, female, lv. 24
~Surf
~Blizzard
~Body Slam
~Confuse Ray

Kenya the Fearow, male, lv. 25
~Peck
~Return
~Leer
~Growl

Migraine the Psyduck, female, lv. 25
~Surf
~Ice Punch
~Dig
~Confusion

Tabasco the Quilava, male, lv. 26
~Ember
~Cut
~Smokescreen
~Leer

So my original plan was to use Pidgeot on my team... and then Goldenrod Gym happened. It was going pretty standard- Quilava destroyed Clefairy... Miltank destroyed Quilava... Miltank destroyed Pidgeotto... Miltank destroyed Psyduck... and those were the only three team members I had so far, so time to try again, right?

Wrong. I still had one Pokémon left. I had gotten Kenya, and hadn't yet delivered him yet. With nothing to lose, I sent out Kenya.

And. I. WON.

That's a nice story for a gift Pokemon to be of such use, personally, I got fairly lucky against Miltank, I got the TM Headbutt and taught it to Quilava, 70 base power with a 30% flinch chance, I got two flinches AND the Miltank missed a Rollout. 4HKO'd it.

I'm in Goldenrod city now, doing a bunch of side stuff first. Got the bicycle, coin case, got enough coins to pick up a Cubone, went up to the National Park to do the Bug Catching contest. Still trying to find a third member for my team :O

Back
Top Bottom