• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GSC Playthrough Thread (VC releases)

Got a shiny Smoochum from the first Odd Egg I hatched. Thought I might as well use it, since I don't recall ever using a Jynx in a playthrough before. It's super strong with Ice Punch from the Goldenrod Dept Store.

I just arrived at Ecruteak and my team is Zubat, Sandshrew, Smoochum and Bellsprout all at level 20. I want to use a Miltank and probably a Cloyster, which would round out my team of 6, but we'll see how things go. I already got a Leaf Stone from the Picknicker's phone calls, so just need to get a Water one for Cloyster later.

I made it to the Pokemon League and just managed to get my team within the agreed parameters by the time my game clock hit 15:00, my team for my friend is:

-Typhlosion @ Charcoal, level 50
-Electabuzz @ Berry, level 40
-Espeon @ Berry, level 40
-Dragonair @ Berry, level 40

Our battle at the Pokemon League to wrap up Johto is going to be a 4v4, I do have a Suicune but I'm holding it back for our first Kanto battle, which is going to be a 1v1, I'm just hoping he doesn't have a legendary beast in time for this battle, but my team is well equipped in case he does. Initially I was going to use Suicune, but I decided to save it as a surprise for Kanto, which my friend doesn't know I have and I don't know if he knows where to get it, so I'd rather not reveal it yet, and instead can use my shiny Electabuzz, I predict his team will be a Nidoking since he had a Nidorino in our last battle and just needs to find that Moon Stone, an Arcanine, his Typhlosion, and his shiny Gyarados.

Last edited:
Got the game a few days back, just have a simple team of Quilava (lv 20), Wooper (lv 17), and a newly-hatched Togepi (lv 5 :p). Gonna go get the odd egg and hope for once I can get a shiny from it
Also, is the odd egg soft-resettable? If so, where can you soft reset, before obtaining the egg or after?

Got the game a few days back, just have a simple team of Quilava (lv 20), Wooper (lv 17), and a newly-hatched Togepi (lv 5 :p). Gonna go get the odd egg and hope for once I can get a shiny from it
Also, is the odd egg soft-resettable? If so, where can you soft reset, before obtaining the egg or after?

It is SR-able, you need to save in front of the old man who gives you the egg, as long as you reset to before receiving the egg, you'll get a different egg, it worked for me. You can also use the dupe glitch to make multiple varying copies of the egg but it's risky.

Last edited:
Not done much since yesterday, but did catch Miltank (Calcium) and Shellder (Chunk) for the team, and I'm in Olivine now. So the team should be complete now, unless something interests me later. Not sure about having two Ice types, but I don't think it will be too much of a problem.

42.gif
70.gif
28.gif
238.gif
241.gif
90.gif

Made it through Tohjo Falls. Current team:

Europa (Typhlosion, female)
Fuwari (Jumpluff, female)
Pollyanna (Politoed, female)
Bone (Marowak, female)
Xana (Xatu, female)
Bolt (Jolteon, male)

Made it through Tohjo Falls. Current team:

Europa (Typhlosion, female)
Fuwari (Jumpluff, female)
Pollyanna (Politoed, female)
Bone (Marowak, female)
Xana (Xatu, female)
Bolt (Jolteon, male)

Where did you find a Cubone? I was certain it wasn’t available until you got to Kanto.

In Crystal, you can get a Cubone in the Goldenrod game corner for 800 coins.

Alrighty, beat the Elite Four! Seriously, Pollyanna (my Politoed) utterly DESTROYED his team! Five out of six of his Pokemon went down like chumps thanks to her! Oh, and got the GS Ball. Can't wait to get a Celebi and name it Toki!

In Crystal, you can get a Cubone in the Goldenrod game corner for 800 coins.

Alrighty, beat the Elite Four! Seriously, Pollyanna (my Politoed) utterly DESTROYED his team! Five out of six of his Pokemon went down like chumps thanks to her! Oh, and got the GS Ball. Can't wait to get a Celebi and name it Toki!

Oh ok cool, do you know if the Cubone can be holding the thick club from the Game Corner? It’s an 8% chance in Gen 2 for wild Cubones, I don’t know how items function for Game Corner Pokemon though.

Oh ok cool, do you know if the Cubone can be holding the thick club from the Game Corner? It’s an 8% chance in Gen 2 for wild Cubones, I don’t know how items function for Game Corner Pokemon though.

No, it will not have a Thick Club. Mons obtained via the Game Corner can not have items with them. So if you get a Cubone from the Game Corner, it won't have the Thick Club.

No, it will not have a Thick Club. Mons obtained via the Game Corner can not have items with them. So if you get a Cubone from the Game Corner, it won't have the Thick Club.
Good to know, thanks. Now I don’t feel bad for not stopping and getting one, I’ll catch a wild one in Kanto. :)

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

*ahem* Anyway... I never thought I'd do this, especially after the disaster that was my Yellow VC experience (which reminded me WHY I hate Gen I), I wasn't interested in doing a GSC run via VC. But seeing how much fun everyone has had, and the fact I need some new games to play... I caved and bought Crystal. While the flaws are glaring (like terrible movepools and the fact that the Mons can FLEE, which has been a huge annoyance), I will admit my Crystal playthrough has been a much smoother, and generally more fun, experience than my Yellow run. It helps that Crystal is the superior version of the Metal Generation, so to speak, so it makes it a bit more enjoyable (plus I already have HG and SS, which pretty much negates the need for Gold or Silver).
Anyway, I started off with a male Cyndaquil named Heatshot, as I find it superior to the other two (plus with the "old rules", aka old mechanics, it generally has the easiest time feeding off its strengths better, since Totodile's type and stats don't mix well here, and Chikorita is... just awful, it seemed like the obvious choice). I started late last night, so after dealing with Elm's errand and fighting Silver, I caught a male Hoothoot, naming him Nightwise. I then waited until this morning to hunt down my next target: Phanpy... where I learned that rarer Mons can flee at any given point. I eventually got a Phanpy, though I ended up with a boy, as I wanted a girl to act as a counter-measure against the dreaded Miltank, but given how much trouble I had just getting one to sit still for more than a turn, I gave up and settled for him, naming him Geo (at least running into them wasn't the problem, despite a 5% encounter rate, I ran into them very frequently during my hunt... it was just getting them to stay put was the problem). He quickly proved his worth, becoming quite the tank even in the early hours. This helped a lot, as my Hoothoot was fairly fragile and my next two main team catches (Sniper the Weedle and Venus the Bellsprout) were even more fragile (at least Heatshot was able to hold his own quite nicely, so I didn't have to worry about him).

Anyway, Heatshot evolved just before tackling Sprout Tower, which I utterly owned, though Nightwise did have some trouble with his fellow Hoothoot in the "final" Sage battle. Next on my list was Falkner, who I utterly destroyed with Heatshot, and after that obtained the egg from Elm's assistant. I purposely spent a fair amount of time wandering around Violet City and its surrounding areas to get the egg to hatch so I didn't have to haul the soon-to-be born Togepi a great distance to show Elm (which has always been a pain to me). After much wasted time (though I did get the Unowns riled up and evolved Sniper all the way to a Beedrill), the egg hatched and I backtracked to Elm to show him. I decided not to use it, so I boxed it, and finally continued on my way. After getting through Union Cave, I helped Kurt repel Team Rocket and save the Slowpoke. It was quite the tail, heheh. *hears crickets* Anyway, now I can get Apricorn balls, though I find them too technical for real use (and I learned something interesting... the Apricorn balls are glitched in this gen, meaning that most of them don't work as intended, only the Heavy, Lure, and Level Balls actually work as described, the rest have glitches in their code that bungled their functions).

I made short work of Bugsy and his minion Trainers, though it helped give Nightwise and Geo some extra experience. I healed and prepared for the fight against Silver. Heatshot dominated Gastly, Venus had some trouble with Croconaw but ultimately won, but poor Geo got beat by Zubat thanks to two "perfectly" executed Supersonics and several Bite-induced flinches, forcing Nightwise to finish the job. After that I helped recover the Farfetch'd and got Cut, which I gave to a temp member to get past Ilex Forest. Though I spent some time after getting the TM for Headbutt to hunt down a Heracross. It was a lot of trial, error (mostly error), and soft-resets, but I finally caught a female named Jade, boxing Sniper as an end result. I also used the Headbutting fun to catch a few Mons like Butterfree, Pineco, and Aipom, and rapidly Level Up some of my Mons, with Nightwise evolving before I stopped for the day, since the level curve in these games is a royal pain in the tailpipe.

So, that's the start of my trip down memory pain... I mean memory lane, in Crystal. I will say it's been a much smoother experience than Yellow (where I was raging every 5 seconds), though the grinding problem is still present. But I will say I'm enjoying myself more than the last VC experience I had, and I was glad I went with Crystal instead of Gold or Silver, as it is the superior version. Anyway, my team is as followed:

Quilava (Heatshot, male, Lv21, Quick Attack/Leer/Smokescreen/Ember)
Noctowl (Nightwise, male, Lv20, Hypnosis/Swift/Foresight/Peck)
Phanpy (Geo, male, Lv16, Tackle/Headbutt/Defense Curl/Mud Slap)
Bellsprout (Venus, female, Lv15, Vine Whip/Growth/Wrap/Sleep Powder)
Heracross (Jade, female, Lv10, Tackle/Leer/Horn Attack)

Tune in next time to find out what happens to our hero and his gaggle of Mons. Until then.

Yeah, I know it is, but even with that higher chance, I still don't like doing it. It's just part of how I play I guess. It doesn't feel genuine to me you could say.

So my original plan was to use Pidgeot on my team... and then Goldenrod Gym happened. It was going pretty standard- Quilava destroyed Clefairy... Miltank destroyed Quilava... Miltank destroyed Pidgeotto... Miltank destroyed Psyduck... and those were the only three team members I had so far, so time to try again, right?

Wrong. I still had one Pokémon left. I had gotten Kenya, and hadn't yet delivered him yet. With nothing to lose, I sent out Kenya.

And. I. WON.

Pidgeotto had previously hit Miltank with a few Mud-Slaps, and Quilava had gotten in a Smokescreen. I was able to have Kenya just spam Peck while Miltank missed every single Stomp, and before I knew it, I had toppled the Miltank of Death with a level 10 Spearow.

Dude. I just defeated Whitney last night, and literally the same thing happened to me man.

My team right now is just a level 25 Gloom and a level 26 Croconaw. Here's how the battle went.

• I start the battle with Gloom, take out Clefairy no problem
  • She sends in Miltank, I paralyze it with Stun Spore, thinking I'll just wear it down and let Gloom faint, then send in Croconaw and headbutt flinch/para spam for the game, sounds good right? WRONG
  • Miltank gets locked into Rollout, I get Miltank to about half when Gloom goes down, and rollout is pretty strong at this point, no parahax so far.
  • I send in Croconaw, go for the headbutt.. It doesn't kill, maybe 8% HP left. :( No flinch, no para, rollout comes in and OHKO's my Croconaw
  • Now I've just got a bunch of random pokes that I've been catching along the way. I send in a Psyduck, go for the scratch, it's not enough, he gets rekt
  • I send in a Drowzee, go for a pound, it's still not enough! He goes down too.
  • Now all I have left is a lv 5 Togepi and Kenya. I send in spearow, go for the peck... and take out the Miltank! Level 10 Spearow saved my butt too.

Golbat can't learn Fly, but Crobat can, which is a bit annoying since I just beat Chuck and wanted to give it a good Flying move. (It still doesn't have a STAB move and I've had it since level 2 lol...) Have to hope it evolves soon.

Chuck was pretty easy, Victreebel put Primeape to sleep, set up two Growths and then just swept through him. My team is 3 levels lower too. Sleep is so broken, I remember thinking the same when I replayed Gen 1 on VC.

Golbat can't learn Fly, but Crobat can, which is a bit annoying since I just beat Chuck and wanted to give it a good Flying move. (It still doesn't have a STAB move and I've had it since level 2 lol...) Have to hope it evolves soon.

Have you been going to the haircut bros. in Goldenrod? I remember using that for an Espeon and I think that helped a lot. :)

Have you been going to the haircut bros. in Goldenrod? I remember using that for an Espeon and I think that helped a lot. :)

Forgot about that. I went and did it and it evolved next level. :D

Just beat Morty. I kind of speed ran through the Gym because I wanted Surf ASAP. Now that I have it I went back to Union Cave to catch a Natu. Added that to my team. thinking of adding either Flareon or Umbreon to my team as well.

Back
Top Bottom