• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GSC Playthrough Thread (VC releases)

Gave in and bought Crystal off the Eshop. I chose Cyndaquil for Thunder Punch, and set off for Mr.Pokémon's house. Gen 2 really isn't that nostalgic for me since I never got to play past Falkner, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this playthrough goes. I was thinking Fearow, Sandslash, Golduck, Espeon, and Tauros as potential team members.

Current Team:
Cyndaquil (Bakphoon) lv.6

Last edited:
Picked up a Geodude, and evolved it into a Graveler while watching the Super Bowl. Also planning on turning Eevee into an Umbreon, but kind of want a female Eevee. We'll see how long I stay on that train. Just doing a lot of grinding right now.

Current Team:
Toothpick - Croconaw - lv. 32
Lillie - Gloom - lv. 28
Bumi - Graveler - lv. 26
Luc - Natu - lv. 22

Planned Members:
Umbreon
Hitmontop

Okay, after a bit of a hiatus (things got a bit crazy here, especially with the snow storm that hit yesterday), I managed to pick up Crystal again and continued my quest.

Started off where I left off, back at Ilex Forest. I did, however, backtrack for a bit, once I got wind of the Dunsparce and Quilfish hordes, so I could nab them while I was still close by (and erase those phone numbers, since they just won't stop calling me with nonsense, so once the hordes were said and done, bye-bye hiker/fisherman). I actually added the Quilfish I caught as part of the team, at least for now, so I have a Water Mon for the time being, a female in this case, naming her Sinker.

Anyway, I proceeded through Ilex Forest and made my way to Goldenrod City, picking up Gina's number (since she gives Leaf Stones at times), and the Odd Egg. Picked up the bike and radio card when I got to Goldenrod, as well as did some shopping for Great Balls and such. After a bit of prep work, I challenged Whitney. For once things went really in my favor against her. Heatshot the Quilava took down Clefairy, and then came the dreaded Miltank, but like I said, things actually went pretty well. Heatshot spammed Smokescreen for good measures, making pretty much all of Miltank's attacks miss (with the exception of a Stomp or two), and on my first Ember, I burned that cow! Can anyone say HAMBURGERS? Heheheh. That burn, combined with the Smokescreen spam, allowed me an easy victory against the dreaded Miltank, netting me the Plain Badge and Attract. I admit I was surprised at how easy it was this time around, as usually Miltank is the dreaded opponent for a reason. Guess luck was just really on my side today. Not long after that, I battled and caught the Sudowoodo (though he took a bit of effort, but Nightwise's Hypnosis really saved my bacon this time). I had to take a break as my battery was dying, so I was worried about the Odd Egg, since I was very close to hatching it. I wasn't gunning for a shiny or anything, but I wanted something decent in that egg. Fortunately, after recharging, the game once again gave me a gift in the form of Elekid, which was what I wanted. Whew. Got a girl Elekid so I named her Kazap (after the Dragon Quest lightning spell) and managed to get her up to speed, though she's still a few levels lower than the rest of the group.

Anyway, made my way to my next destination, and my next Gym Battle. But first I went to battle the Kimono Girls, nabbing Surf for Sinker as an end result, giving her a decent attack. After that, I had to go to Burnt Tower, where I met Morty, Eustine, and, of course, my rival Silver. After a quick battle (which I dominated, though Kazap did have a tiny bit of trouble with Croconaw, as she was a few levels lower), I encountered the legendary beasts, with Suicune taking an interest in me. After all that, it was time to face Morty. Nightwise the Noctowl and Geo the Phanpy were the key players here, managing to take down Morty's Gastly, double Haunters, and Gengar, with Geo evolving into Donphan after beating Gengar. I had to switch back and forth between Nightwise and Geo, thanks to the liberal use of Curse (though it did work in my favor, as Foresight + Swift + self-weakened Ghosts = quick KO), earning me the Fog Badge and Shadow Ball. So with Morty said and done, I started my trip to Olivine City. Managed to do a bit of grinding and catching, though poor Kazap got KOed by a Slowpoke thanks to a combination of both a Body Slam-induced paraysis AND a Confusion's confusion side-effect. Guess my luck ran out at that point, so I had to backtrack to get her healed up. At this point, I was getting tuckered out, but first I helped out the sick Miltank with the stash of berries I had gathered. Now I can buy Moomoo Milk and got Snore as well, not to mention finding a hidden Nugget to sell in the fields. At that point, I decided to call it a night. My team is as followed:

Quilava (Heatshot, male, Lv26, Quick Attack/Leer/Smokescreen/Ember)
Noctowl (Nightwise, male, Lv24, Hypnosis/Swift/Foresight/Peck)
Donphan (Geo, male, Lv25, Fury Attack/Headbutt/Defense Curl/Mud Slap)
Heracross (Jade, female, Lv21, Rock Smash/Horn Attack/Leer/Fury Attack)
Quilfish (Sinker, female, Lv18, Spikes/Tackle/Poison Sting/Surf)
Elekid (Kazap, female, Lv19, Quick Attack/Leer/Dizzy Punch/Thunder Punch)

Tune in next time to find out what happens next... if so far hasn't bored you enough yet. That's all for now.

So thanks to @Pyrax and @TeaWest i gave in and bought Crystal.

Named my character Amneza which is one of my standard names for RPGs. Because Tea and Pyrax did Totodile and cyndaquil, it took Chikorita.

Named him Ukyo and started on my adventure. First battle was interestingly a Spearow and then I started running into geodudes. Figured I went to the wrong area. Whoops.

From there was normal series of events. Named my rival Salt. Figured it described his personality to a T :p

And Ukyo and I have been fighting our way to Violet City, destroying sprout tower! Which during I was harassed by Youngster Joey. I guess destroying him made him fall in love with me. Whoops.

So I went back to destroy his top percentile rattatta. And once it was night I caught a hoothoot who I named Kent. Now Bugcatcher Wade keeps giving me berries. These boys apparently like that I beat them down. Also working on getting Kent to a decent level while I head to Violet city to take on Falkner.

I’m case anyone is wondering about the names: I originally planned on naming all of my team after my favorite males from otome games, but it was proving hard to find fitting Pokémon when planning. So becaise I had already named my starter Ukyo, and my name was Amneza, I decided to fittingly name each member after characters from the otome game Amnesia: Memories. Thus come daylight I’m going to get a sentret who I’ll name Waka to learn surf until I get the water type I want.

Current team:

Chikorita ♂ -Ukyo- Lv 15
Hoothoot ♂ -Kent- Lv 6

Just got Morty's badge and I'm taking on Team Rocket in Mahogany.

Team (all ranging 22-26):
Croconaw
Growlithe
Phanpy
Elekid
Eevee

Lots of updates since I last posted. I've since gotten badges 5 and 6. I usually fight Jasmine, then Chuck, don't know if anyone else does that. Also did the Red Gyarados and Team Rocket Quest in Mahogany, now training to take on Pryce. I've also been doing the ruins of Alph side quest, trying to catch all the Unown when I want a change of pace. My team is pretty much all set now, just need that Tyrogue.

Current Team:
Luc (Xatu) Lv. 35
Toothpick (Croconaw) Lv. 34
Lillie (Bellossom) Lv. 35
Shadowfax (Eevee) Lv. 34
Bumi (Graveler) Lv. 31

Current Pokedex: 35

Me and my friend both reached the Pokemon League and took part in our third battle as our final challenge before facing the Pokemon League.

It was my:

-Typhlosion, level 50
-Electabuzz, level 40
-Espeon, level 40
-Dragonair, level 40

vs. his:

-Typhlosion, level 50
-Gyarados, level 43
-Arcanine, level 40
-Nidoking, level 40

I led with Espeon and he led with Nidoking which I quickly dispatched out of contention, he switched into Gyarados and went for Bite, which I predicted and switched into my Typhlosion, quickly taking out his Gyarados the following turn with Thunder Punch, at this point he goes into his own Typhlosion and kills mine with Earthquake after I dealt some damage with a Thunder Punch, his Earthquake was a move I didn't even think of teaching my Typhlosion, which would've saved me in the mirror match because mine does out speed his, I switched back to Espeon and chipped some more of his health down but he got rid of Espeon as well. I went into Dragonair to finish off his Typhlosion, barely, his last Pokemon, Arcanine, got rid of Dragonair handily, but my Electabuzz comes out and ultimately tanked his Arcanine, confused it with Dizzy Punch and killed it, winning me that battle.

The Pokemon League was rough for both of us, it took me two tries, as we were relatively underleveled and somewhat rushing through the game, it took him three tries though, you may have noticed I had Suicune but didn't use it in that fight, I had been training it in secret for the following fight, which I knew he'd use Typhlosion for. After getting the Vermillion City and Saffron City badges, we had another battle, this time a 1v1.

He chose his Typhlosion, level 67, and I brought in my Suicune, level 54. I had held my Suicune back for this very moment, in a display of power and dominance, I was going to take down his Typhlosion with my newly revealed legendary...

His Typhlosion moved first, hitting me to just under half HP with a Thunder Punch, no problem though, I had Suicune hold a berry for this fight, so I healed up to above half HP, I hit him with a Surf, getting him to 107/213, that's right, I dealt 106 damage prior, all I need to do is not get crit by his next attack, and get a high roll on the next Surf. He hits me with Thunder Punch again, I have 7 HP left, I hit him with Surf, high rolled the 107 damage I needed, and won the battle. Needless to say, he was upset, he cites his lack of a berry himself as being his reason for losing, but that's his fault for not preparing. So far, I'm 4/7 for planned battles, we're battling again at 4 badges, at 6 badges, and after Red, we'll have a full on 6v6.

Last edited:
Made a lot of progress since my last post. I've arrived at Mahogony Town, but I haven't beaten Chuck yet so that's my highest priority at the moment. I couldn't decide on a final party member, so I cloned Bill's Eevee for Espeon and Umbreon.

Current Team:
  • Quilava lv.26 (Bakphoon)
  • Fearow lv.26 (Icarus)
  • Quagsire lv.26 (Gaia)
  • Tauros lv.27 (Hamburger)
  • Eevee lv.26 (Kuro)
  • Eevee lv.26 (Shiro)

Beat the E4 last night, my team was all between level 38-40. I've since given the GS Ball to Kurt, now I need to wait until tomorrow to get it back so I can go start resetting for a shiny Celebi. I'm sure it'll take while to get, but it'll be easy enough to do boot up the 3DS while watching Netflix, Twitch streams or listening to stuff on Youtube/Spotify over the next few weeks.

In Crystal, I'm in Goldenrod City rescuing the radio tower. I just got the key from the Director (and an Amulet Coin finally).

I have the most random team I've ever played with:

Shiny Gyarados (L. 30)
Golduck (L. 34)
Noctowl (L. 30)
Typhlosion (L. 36)
Machoke (Muscle) (L. 34)

I have to say Machoke has helped me win most of my battles. The combination of attract + strength or karate chop has allowed me to knock out male pokemon with ease. I think by the time I make it to the league, I'll like to have Gyarados and Machoke boxed, and 3 mon exclusively from Generation II. We'll see how that goes. I want to box Machoke because I don't want to win the Elite 4 thanks to a slutty Machoke.

Golduck has been too important for me to box, confusion + disable has been handy. For Noctowl, I'm planning for a hypnosis + dream eater combo in it's move set.

Over the plane ride home I defeated Team Rocket at the radio tower and sped through the ice caves to defeat the 8th Gym. I was under leveled and didn’t battle a ton of trainers, but I really wanted to get that last badge so I could go grab Tyrogue from Mt. Mortar. I’ll now be training up a lot, and will do the Suicune and Ruins of Alph side quests before going to the Indigo Plateau

Team
Toothpick – Feraligatr – lv.38
Shadowfax – Eevee – lv. 40
Lillie – Bellossum – lv. 35
Bumi – Graveler – lv.34
Luc – Xatu – lv. 38
Beyblade – Tyrogue – lv. 11

9SjOIxE.png

Just got home tonight, and the first one when I turned it on for was shiny. :D Overall it didn't take as long as I thought, even without the shiny charm in this game, maybe ~200 resets over the last few days so definitely not going to complain.

I've cloned it through the box clone trick/glitch in Crystal in case I ever want to do a giveaway or something with it. :)

WRbsjm4.jpg

ZYrZpgu.jpg

Just defeated Lance at the Pokemon League. The first four were challenging, simply because I really didn't put much thought into my team. Lance was the easiest. Took down all of his Dragonite with my Golduck with Ice Punch + NeverMeltIce. Golduck also took down Charizard with Surft. Noctowl with Hypnosis + Nightmare tookdown Aerodactyl. I actually enjoy Hypnosis + Nightmare. Nightmare can take care of doing the damage while I spend the time healing my Pokemon during the turns when the enemy sleeps and has bad dreams.

Edit: props to my Typhlosion with Smokescreen for making the strongest Dragonite miss most attacks and weakening it to a point where I could use Golduck to knock it out and not have Lance use any healing items to prevent the KO.

Got my 5th badge from Pryce, heading to Olivine.

Team (all around 25-26):
Croconaw
Donphan
Growlithe
Elekid
Eevee

After playing through Gold again last September, I finally downloaded Crystal yesterday.

I decided to do the starter glitch this time to get both Totodile and Chikorita as in Gold I started with just Cyndaquil. I was also over the moon that my gift egg from the daycare was a Tyrogue and is indeed shiny (I know it's like 30/100 chance to be shiny but still glad I didn't have to reset).

My team so far is:
Nasher the Croconaw (22)
Floro the Bayleef (22)
Sekuri the Hitmonchan (20) ... I actually saved up for Proteins to balance it's atk/def, ended up going for Hitmonchan anyway because Hitmontop's moveset options are terrible, worse off than the original two.

Defeated the Elite Four and Lance. I don't understand why Karen has Vileplume instead of Tyranitar, especially when she owns the other Dark-types available at the time. But that's enough nit-picking. Quagsire was really helpful against Lance, in fact I only had to heal once or twice because of Outrage.
I'm currently making my way through Kanto. I've collected six badges over the past few days and just about to head to Seafoam Islands for Blaine.

Current Team:
  • Typhlosion lv.51 (Bakphoon)
  • Fearow lv.50 (Icarus)
  • Quagsire lv.50 (Gaia)
  • Tauros lv.49 (Hamburger)
  • Espeon lv.51 (Yin)
  • Umbreon lv.50 (Yang)

So been slowly working on my game. I’ve discovered that the crystal sorted are hilarious. Snubbull looks like it’s lifting a skirt.

Anyways it’s been a journey of grinding and hunting for certain Pokémon for my planned team. Haven’t gotten far, considering I just beat Whitney.

And Whitney omg. The Pokémon I’m actually training are of course male, rollout is a pain becaise it missing does not reset, poisoning only works if your Pokémon lives, and the freaking cow stayed asleep for 1-2 turns. My Pokémon don’t wale up that fast. Her clefaort didn’t. But miltank? Wakes right up! I hate Whitney. She’s nothing but whiny and like the most annoying to battle. It took a few tries but I finally beat her.

Also the egg from the daycare hatched. I was hoping for a female smoochum and got it.

My boys both evolved and I caught a new one as well as one for surf later. Currently have about three on my team I ain’t training. Just sitting there as fodder.

And ditto btw awesome when it transforms. It’s still pink! And I caught one, just becaise it’s good for breeding if need be.

Current team:

Baylee ♂ -Ukyo- Lv 24
Noctowl ♂ -Kent- Lv 21
Hypno ♂ -Toma- Lv 19
Togepi ♂ -Neil- Lv 5
Sentret ♂ -Waka- Lv 5
Smoochum ♀ -Rika- Lv 5

Well i have been playing for roughly an hour and 20 minutes and have jist returned to the lab from Mister Pokemon house and my female Chickorita is already lvl 15 as i did alot of grinding in the "first" route and past that building in the route where Geodude and the elephant live

Heading towards Victory Road now, and it feels good. Team is looking great, though I only have 5 members (had difficulty picking a 5th, especially since Skarmory is a pain to catch, and I kinda needed to keep my HM user with me).

Feraligatr (M, Irwin) Lv. 36
Donphan (M, Dumbo) Lv. 36
Arcanine (M, Zuko) Lv. 36
Electabuzz (F, Lightning) Lv. 36
Umbreon (M, Eon) Lv. 36

HM user: Gyarados, with Surf, Waterfall, Whirlpool, and Strength

In a battle right now, and I gotta say - Parasect's Crystal sprite is really nice.

Back
Top Bottom