• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GSC Playthrough Thread (VC releases)

I never thought that I would come to really appreciate Noctowl, let alone the move Nightmare. Typically in the Pokemon games, my strategy is a strong offense, with quick KOs. That strategy isn't very useable in GSC, so I'm taking advantage of hypnosis, attract, nightmare, and moves like poisonpowder, stun spore, etc. Once I am done with this play through, I'm so going to transfer this Noctowl to my bank to use for competitive battling.

Right now in my second VC play through of Crystal, I have a Noctowl (with the Hypnosis + Nightmare combo), Poliwhirl, Bayleef, and Quilava. I have an Eevee that you get from Bill, but she's stubborn and I don't know if I'll ever get to evolve her. The Pokemon distribution in this game is not to my liking, so I'm not sure how soon i'll attain a full team of 6.

I haven't decided if I'm going to SR for Celebi. It's not something that I've ever done before!
It's worth it when it finally shows up. Find some pod cast, or pull up Netflix, get some snacks and just do it as a back ground thing. In gsc the shiny sound plays before the cry so if you hear the cry and no shine just reset. I found pressing the bottom screen easier than the actual button input.

Grinding in Victory Road, I've currently got:

Feraligatr
Donphan
Arcanine
Electabuzz
Umbreon
Dragonair

Mostly all around 38-41, except for Dragonair is like 32. Bad level curve in GSC is a fucking killer.

Took a while, but I picked up Crystal again to beat Red. My party were all lv.55, but ultimately he didn't pose much of a challenge aside from his Snorlax. I didn't have any strong Fighting-type moves, so I had to rely on Umbreon's toxic and Tauros' high Attack for a KO. With Kanto completed, I went back to Johto for Celebi.

Team:
  • Typhlosion lv.55 (Bakphoon)
  • Espeon lv.55 (Yin)
  • Umbreon lv.55 (Yang)
  • Quagsire lv.55 (Gaia)
  • Fearow lv.55 (Icarus)
  • Tauros lv.56 (Hamburger)

I got a phone call from Bug Cather Arnie (I think that is his name, I didn't pay attention). He told me he tried to catch an Abra but couldn't. He wondered what it's weakness could be.

Idiot has a bug pokemon, and Abra 99% of the time teleports before you get a chance to do anything. This game cracks me up. Also, "Mom" in Gen II is nowhere near the level of "Mom" in Gen IV in terms of being a shopaholic and a hoarder.

I'm level grinding about will soon go through Victory Road and challenge the E4. GSC are much easier than I remember.

Been a while since I updated! I beat the Elite Four and am now exploring Kanto, already beat Lt. Surge. I also caught Suicune before I left. I'd like to find a good Pokemon with Mean Look so I can go after the Unowns and dogs. I had Entei show up for me while I was grinding one time.

My team
Toothpick (Feraligatr) - Level 49
Shadowfax (Umbreon) - Level 49
Rolll Tide (Donphan) - Level 49
Lillie (Bellossom) - Level 47
Luc (Xatu) - Level 47
Beyblade (Hitmontop) - Level 49

Finally beat all the Kanto gym leaders and my rival. My plan now is this

• Beat the rest of the trainers in Kanto
  • Train a Haunter for legendary Beast/Unown hunting
  • Catch Entei and Raikou
  • Catch all the unown
  • Catch Lugia and Ho-Oh
  • Beat Red
  • Celebi!

Started a few days ago, made things hard for myself by releasing my tododile once i caught a hoothoot after I left New Bark...let's see where it goes lol.

Well, the game is pretty much over for me! I caught Lugia, completed the Unown Dex, caught Entei, and beat Red. The last thing I'd like to do is SR for a shiny Celebi, but the game is pretty much beaten for me at this point. I still need to find Raikou and eventually Ho-Oh, but there's nothing I can really do to expedite that, I'll see them when I see them

Final Team
Toothpick (Feraligatr) - Level 55
Shadowfax (Umbreon) - Level 55
Rolll Tide (Donphan) - Level 53
Lillie (Bellossom) - Level 53
Luc (Xatu) - Level 56
Beyblade (Hitmontop) - Level 54

Final Pokedex
Seen: 208 Caught: 57

Play TIme:
38 hours

I got my 16th badge a couple of days ago and I've got some grinding to do before I face Red.

My team: Feraligatr, Lugia, Machoke, Victiribell, Noctwol and Ampharos.

I'm playing Gold again. I'm on victory road going towards the league. I have some major leveling up to do - I have realized that I enjoy Crystal way more than Gold/Silver.

Playing through the VC versions of Gen 1 and 2 has truly made me realise how little time and mental capacity I have, as an adult with various commitments, for playing the Pokemon games nowadays. Where it used to take me 2 weeks maximum to reach the Elite 4 in most of the games, these are now taking me at least month or two (on and off play) to clear.

Nevertheless, I finally finished my Silver file a couple of months ago, apart from challenging Red who I would imagine is lying patiently in wait atop Mt Silver while I haplessly try to invest time towards grinding my team to an acceptable level. Speaking of my team, these are the Pokemon that I had in rotation throughout my journey:

Feraligatr, Pidgeot, Victreebel, Rocky (Onix), Ampharos, Muscle (Machoke), Magmar, Eevee, Girafarig

Eevee was a peripheral member of the team, so never maxed out in happiness to evolve into Umbreon as I had originally hoped. That may well change when I revisit this file to train more for my battle with Red.

After slow-burning through another playthrough of Yellow, I am now finally underway with Crystal and am retreading Johto as a female trainer called Jodi (just as I did with my first Crystal file in 2001). The highlights of my journey so far include my female Chikorita landing a Critical Hit on Falkner's Pidgeotto when the battle appeared to be slipping away in my opponent's favour, and hatching a Shiny Igglybuff from the Odd Egg; a nice turn of fate as I still have one of these cuties preserved in an N64 Box on Stadium 2 from one of my long-lost GBC Crystal files.

I have reached Ecruteak City, let the dogs beasts out, encountered Raikou, and defeated Morty's Gym trainers in preparation for the big Gym battle itself. My team:

Bayleef, Phanpy, Zubat, Growlithe, Togepi, Eevee

Back
Top Bottom