• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GSC Playthrough Thread (VC releases)

Zeb

what is your spaghetti policy here?
Reaction score
We had a thread for RBY last year when they released, so thought I'd post one for GS.

I've just got to Union Cave. My team is Totodile, Spinarak, Jigglypuff and Bellsprout. Sleep is once again broken - Jigglypuff solo'd Falkner, which surprised me. I'm probably going to drop Totodile for Mantine later and not sure what else I want to use yet.

Anyone else been playing? How far are you? What's your team like?

EDIT: You can now discuss Crystal and post your progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be playing, but...I woke up this morning so eager to start my pre-loaded Silver Version only to find that it doesn't go live in the U.S. until noon Eastern. :( I'll be playing it later today for sure! Oh, the memories...those were heady days in the world of Pokemon, and I think Gen II may always be my favorite because of that. I played all three versions (GSC) back in the day, importing a Japanese version of Silver because I couldn't stand the wait for the English version after falling completely head-over-heels for Pokemon with Gen I.

Going to start with Chikorita this time! Until Generation IV, I had always chosen the fire starter.

I wanted to buy that limited edition with a box but I couldn't find them anywhere... :( Even though it was said that Europe gets them too (I live in Finland)

Not sure if I just should buy Silver from eShop or will I wait for the possible release of those boxed versions

I have a ton of schoolwork... but maybe I'll play Gold tonight. When Gold/Silver first came out, I bought Silver. So this time I'll start with Gold.

I don't remember Gold/Silver being as frustrating as R/B/Y, so I'm hoping for a smoother ride this time.

I just bought Gold I said I wpuldn't because I wanted crystal and it wasn't released, but the nostalgia was too much so I caved in. I will choose Cyndaquil and see what else. I want to use different mons that what I used back then and in HGSS

I'm playing Silver right now! Picked Cyndaquil as my starter and got Zubat just now. Might replace it with Skarmory later, but we'll see.

I got the Silver VC earlier today, and named my player Crystal out of spite of not having the Crystal released on the VC too. I've only just started it, and I spent a while resetting for my Cyndaquil to be a girl, so I could relive my experience I had with Crystal. Piper is just an itty bitty Cyndaquil right now, but she'll grow to be a strong Typhlosion soon.

Chikorita ain't worth shit ugh. I evolved Cyndaquil and obtained Totodile and I'm going for a Zubat.
This game really brings me back to my childhood but for all the wrong reasons: knowing I don't have anyone to trade with and I won't be able to obtain any trade evos or version exclusives
ETA The pokemon selection reminds me why Crystal is sooooooooo superior

Do we know how the Mystery Gift function works with these releases? I'm hyped to decorate my bedroom but that sweet Tropicplant always existed outside of my friendless, one-console reach back in the day. (And I'm guessing they didn't create a new method of obtaining the gold and silver trophies?)

I've been playing non stop at work I'm a full time chef at a health and gym place so when there's no orders (and its usually dead on today - Saturday) I'm straight up playing Gold.

I am currently just leaving Goldenrod City with 3 badges and my team so far is:
Lexa the Flaffy (22)
Sears the Quilava (22)

I plan on catching a Miltank or Tauros to add to my team just next to Ecruteak but am aiming to get there before obtaining the badge so my team is more balanced.

I am also definitely catching a Mantine st some point.

Attachments

• IMG_7031.JPG
    IMG_7031.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 58
So I just beat Bugsy and I'm going to Goldenrod next. I'm scared....

My team so far is Quilava (19) Croconaw (18) Flaafy (18) Zubat (18) and Sandshrew (18).

Training in this games is so tedious and the movepools are sh!t but oh well nostalgia is though the roof. I still haven't decided on a sixth member, all the pokemon I want to use have bad movepools (Heracross, Espeon), are only found near the end of the game (Piloswine, Ursaring) or just unavailable to me since I have no one to trade with IDK

I just want the shiny version of the legendary beasts, because they will be crazy rare with their HAs. Yes, you can just ACE them... And I'm not sure if I'll just do that. Seems a bit better :p I'm already doing some cloning glitches to get a huge amount of rare candy, maybe I'll just do the glitch.
Anyway, about my playthrough? In 3 hours, got to Ecruteak city. Got some inspiration form speedruns and rushed through most of the game. Had some problem with the rival in Azalea Town, but then I remembered about the Fury Cutter TM I had just gotten, and it was all fine. I had gotten Rocky, the in-game trade Onix to help against Whitney's Miltank, but I just one shot her with, possibly, a full power Fury Cutter. If it was not full power, it was pretty close.

So here's my progress
-Beat Whitney at her own game with paralysis, confusion and flinching. Never had such an easy time with her!
-spend all my time grinding. Evolved Croconaw, Flaafy, Sandshrew and Zubat. they're all level 30.
-Picked up a Mankey and trained it until it evolved.
-Beat Morty. Using Golbat's bite and Sandslash's Dig it was a piece of cake.
I'll be training at the Lake of Rage. I hate grinding but the level curve in this games is very bad and I need to gain a few levels before going to Olivine/Cianwood

Just started Gold today and I'm about to catch a Zubat. I won't be using my starter in this playthrough.

Loving all the nostalgia this game is bringing back for me.

I'm just leaving Olivine with 6 badges, and heading to Mahogany Town now. My team's grown quite a bit cause I went back to Union Cave ect and surfed to battle those trainers and stuff.

Sears (Quilava 30) - Strength, mud slap, quick attack, ember. (Lol I needed to teach it Strength cause of the lack of good moves it gets until Flame Wheel and when it evoles so I can teach it Fire punch with the TM.
Lexa (Ampharos 30) - Thunder punch, fire punch, thundershock, swift.
Alpheus (Mantine 29) - Take down, surf, supersonic, bubblebeam.
Million (Miltank 28) - Milk drink, headbutt, rollout, dynamicpunch.

I'm gonna add another two to my team once I get to Mahogany, I just have no idea what yet. I've been trying to keep it Johto specific with my team, but it's hard with the lack of good moves for a lot of Pokemon.

I've got one badge and I'm heading for Azalea Town! My team currently consists of a Quilava and Bellsprout.

Yesterday I beat the E4 with a speedrun ready Feraligatr and a Rare Candy addicted Scyther at level 100 :p
I'm just going to use these games as ways to get shinies with different moves, so I don't really mind not playing quite right. I am still going to buy Silver and possibly play correctly, or at least try to speedrun a bit better, with my restricted knowledge on any% glitchless.

Decided to buy Silver, having only played Gold on an emulator a long time ago (and HeartGold on DS). Taking it kinda slow as I'm near Goldenrod City with:

- Quilava lvl. 20
- Flaaffy lvl. 19
- Heracross lvl. 11

Heracross is a pain to catch but once you've found the right Headbutt tree it's always there. But even then, it has low capture rate. I used like 30 Poké Balls on several weakened Heracross. And then they tend to flee too, ugh.

Anyway, I'll be taking on Whitney soon. Kinda sucks Heracross has no Fighting moves yet.

Progress
-evolved Golbat into Crobat (sooooo worthy it) and Quilava (finally)
-spend hours (HOURS!) grinding only for Jasmine to stomp me with Steelix. Had to redo training but finally beat her and Chuck
-cleared the Lake of Rage
-beat Pryce (Low Kick everything FTW)
-cleared the Radio Tower from those pesky rockets
-beat Clair (also very easy with paralysis, confusion, attract AND flinch. Heh loving actually having a strategy as opposed to trying to beat her with brute strength when I was a dumb 10 year old)
-went into Kanto and going to the Pokemon league.
I've been thinking of changing Sandslash for a Piloswine but IDK I've never used one in Gen 2 (only in HG and still evolved into a Mamo because it's just so good) I reckon Piloswine kinda stinks (get it?... because it's based on a swine? heh...) also Donphan is not here I really wanted to use one. Maybe Ursaring?

Current team Crobat (lv 40) Ampharos (lv 42) Sandslash (lv 41) Feraligatr (lv 43) Typhlosion (lv 42) Primeape (lv 41)

Back
Top Bottom