• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GSC Playthrough Thread (VC releases)

I just started up my file, and
FEMALE STARTER CYNDAQUIL!
Ahem. Anyway, I decided to experiment with the box cloning trick, and
FEMALE STARTER CHIKORITA TOO.
. . .
Anyway, when all was said and done I have saved my game with all three starters in tow, plus a female Hoothoot. Oh, and for purposes of the save file, my canonical starter is Chikorita (aka rival Jovani has a Cyndaquil too).

Not looking forward to the battle against Whitney's Miltank (who does?), but I will at least be keeping Smokescreen on hand and bringing some Protect TMs.

I'm in Goldenrod City, the next gym challenge is Whitney. I'm not sure if I want to relive the PTSD of her Miltank and it's rollout. I caught a Drowzee and once it's level is higher I'll trade it for the Machop.

Whitney aside, Pokemon Gold/Silver is a much better playing experience than R/B/Y.

Update: I may have accidentally set up a bit of a challenge for myself by choosing Vulpix and Growlithe as my Fire types. I had assumed there would be some way to get a Fire Stone early on, but it turns out that no. Im'ma have to wait until I reach Bill's grandfather in Kanto. So I'll be going through the games with two weak-ish unevolved Pokemon. Yay.... It's not actually that big of a deal. In the original GSC, I went through the game with a Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Charmander (respectively) that I never evolved. They reached level 100 just fine. Still, it's not what I'd planned. Oh well.

My current teams:

Silver: Croconaw, Ivysaur, Noctowl, Vulpix, Eevee (to become Umbreon)

Gold: Bayleef, Wartortle, Pidgeotto, Growlithe, Eevee (to become Espeon)

I just started up my file, and
FEMALE STARTER CYNDAQUIL!
Ahem. Anyway, I decided to experiment with the box cloning trick, and
FEMALE STARTER CHIKORITA TOO.
. . .
Anyway, when all was said and done I have saved my game with all three starters in tow, plus a female Hoothoot. Oh, and for purposes of the save file, my canonical starter is Chikorita (aka rival Jovani has a Cyndaquil too).

Not looking forward to the battle against Whitney's Miltank (who does?), but I will at least be keeping Smokescreen on hand and bringing some Protect TMs.

I got
Female Totodile and Female Chikorita on the first try too. Cyndaquil was the buzzkill that broke the chain.

As for Whitney, she's actually not that difficult to beat, even without Muscle the Machop. You've got Chikorita, and that's really all you need. Your Chikorita won't be affected by Attract. Use her Reflect to weaken Miltank's Rollout and her Poisonpowder to to give her some consistent passive damage. You'll eventually be able to wear her down with a combination of Poisonpowder and STAB, all the while cushioning damage with Reflect. My only recommendation is not to send Hoothoot or Cyndaquil, since their Rock weakness will offset the Reflect bonus.

I'm in Goldenrod City, the next gym challenge is Whitney. I'm not sure if I want to relive the PTSD of her Miltank and it's rollout. I caught a Drowzee and once it's level is higher I'll trade it for the Machop.

Whitney aside, Pokemon Gold/Silver is a much better playing experience than R/B/Y.

I agree. GSC has been a much smoother and more pleasant experience than RBY in almost every way.

Last edited:
My team's around Level 35 and I beat Clair earlier today.

I'm surprised at how decent Corsola has been. Ariados was becoming a bit of a pain to level with its only decent attacking move being Night Shade, but I managed to get Sludge Bomb after taking care of the Rockets in Mahogany, so now it's back to being useful again. Magneton is really good, even though it only has Thundershock for a STAB move. That Electric/Steel typing is glorious.

The team is Wigglytuff, Magneton, Corsola, Xatu, Ariados, Sunflora. Too lazy to post sprites this time :p

I got Pokemon Gold, and right now I've reached Ecruteak City but I'm going back to train my team and look for new pokemon I might want to use. My team so far is:
Quilava
Eevee
Spinarak
Quagsire
Skiploom
Flaaffy

I'm at Blackthorn City right now after defeating Team Rocket at the Radio Tower. My team is:

- Typhlosion lvl. 37
- Ampharos lvl. 37
- Heracross lvl. 36
- Red Gyarados lvl. 36
- Eevee lvl. 31

Leveling up Eevee with the Exp. Share. I want to evolve it into Espeon but it's evening here now so it'll have to wait.

Finally hatched a female Togepi and got a female Eevee!...the latter was surprisingly easy to get. I only had to reset once. Anyway, my current team so far.

Bayleef, lvl. 26
Pichu, lvl. 22
Togepi, lvl. 21
Pidgeotto (Shiny), lvl. 21
Eevee, lvl. 21
Ledyba, lvl. 13

Gonna try and get a Marill.

On Victory Road right now. My team so far is

- Typhlosion lvl49
- Ampharos lvl47
- Crobat lvl40
- Slowpoke lvl38
- Eevee lvl32
- Swinub lvl31

Currently waiting until I get Gold so I can evolve Slowpoke into Slowking. I may or may not be using Rare Candies.

Last edited:
Well I finally beat red in Gold.

My final team was:

Feralagtr (Crikey)
Ampharos (Dawn)
Magmar (Firestorm)
Umbreon (Liam)
Steelix (Rocky)
Dodrio (Cerberus)

Not only that but I also caught lugia finally. Now to attempt to catch the other two legendary beasts since I used the master ball on suicune. Joy.

I downloaded Silver after buying both it and Gold's physical boxed releases last Friday, and since then I have made slow progress. Today I have reached Goldenrod City with the following team - still waiting for the Egg to hatch:

WVW69kqtwgMteDuVA0

For this playthrough, I have decided to largely go with Pokemon that I used on my first Silver file in 2001. Only Rocky the Onix is a Pokemon that I haven't really utilised in the past, and I have to say that so far he has helped to provide a decent challenge in my adventure due to the burden of his disobedience after reaching Level 10 and prior to earning the Hive Badge.

Going back to Silver after so many years since the battery in my Game Boy Color cartridge packed up is sending me down memory lane - even more so than Red, Blue and Yellow when they were re-released in 2016. I probably spent much longer with this game during my childhood than any other, and the sprites in particular resonate with me on a nostalgic level.

All that leaves me to say is, Happy Friday fellow Pokemon fans!

WVW69kqrv4gZjYqAAd

I've now got 5 badges. I was feeling adventurous, so I actually made Pryce in Mahogany my 5th badge, and now I'm heading back West to Olivine. My team is doing pretty well, and includes 5 finalized members right now (Weepinbell is just hanging out until I get my 6th main member - maybe Dratini? Pidgeotto? Idk). I'm really enjoying using them all, including Lanturn, which I never used before now. It's wonderful. Evolved my Nidorino into Nidoking with the Moon Stone in Tohjo Falls (available once you get Surf). Been trying to find a Magnemite holding Metal Coat - but not having much luck.

Team:
Quilava Lv. 29 (Krakatoa)
Nidoking Lv. 28 (Roy)
Scyther Lv. 29 (Polnareff)
Lanturn Lv. 29 (Tesla)
Eevee Lv. 27 (Darwin)
Weepinbell Lv. 24 (Liberty)

I got a female Machop (what are the odds?) that I got when I exchanged my Drowzee.

I chose Cyndaquil for my starter, and that poor thing would have been no match for Whitney and her love of rollout.

Needless to say, Whitney was a breeze this go round with the female Machop.

I got a female Machop (what are the odds?) that I got when I exchanged my Drowzee.

I chose Cyndaquil for my starter, and that poor thing would have been no match for Whitney and her love of rollout.

Needless to say, Whitney was a breeze this go round with the female Machop.
Muscle the Machop is actually always female. The game does this so that she's immune to Attract.

Muscle the Machop is actually always female. The game does this so that she's immune to Attract.

I never realized/knew that. I wish I had known this fact back in the early 2000's when I first played G/S. 95% of the time I never pay attention to gender.

Finally beat the E4 with this team
Crobat (48) Sandslash (48) Primeape (48) Ampharos (50) Feraligatr (51) Typhlosion (53)

What a difference it makes being almost 20 yrs older haha now that I actually know stuff this game has been a breeze. I was actually reluctant to buy it because I thought it'd be awful to play with the older mechanics but glad to see I'm not the only one who has found it soooooooo much enjoyable than RBY (which had me raging every 2 seconds) I can't wait for crystal which is 1000x better.

I also caught Entei it was the first pokemon to appear as I was leaving New Bark Town after becoming Champion good thing I was prepared. I am now onboard of the ship off to Kanto!

I just beat Chuck, thanks to my female Machoke and her slutty use of Attract. Also, special shoutout to my Quilava and it's use of Swagger.

Just got my 7th badge from Jasmine and I'm now in the Radio Tower taking on Team Rocket. Got a Metal Coat to evolve my Scyther, but have not found a trade partner yet. Eevee still hasn't evolved.

Team:
Quilava Lv. 33
Nidoking Lv. 32
Lanturn Lv. 31
Eevee Lv 31
Scyther Lv. 30

Back
Top Bottom