• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh GTS discussion

I'm sure it will return. Though whether or not everyone will be able to use it is another kettle of fish entirely. Since you need to pay to access most ingame online features on the switch, unlike the DS and 3DS, it could be that unless a player pays for this service any trading or battling between non-local players would be locked away. Which sucks in my opinion. It's probably not that expensive (like pokemon bank, but costs more because it's for all nintendo switch online play) but for people who don't have incomes like me it's pretty scummy to make something like trading be locked behind that pay for online interaction even though we had no problem letting you doing it for free for the last two handheld AND home consoles to suddenly lock us out of an important feature. Because trading and battling online is one of the big deals with pokemon. Not everyone has friends/literally anyone near them to trade with so online is a necessity. Hell, they made two different versions of the same game since the very beginning to force you to have to trade with others with the opposite version.

I'm really hoping it's not locked behind the online paywall since Wonder Trading actually allowed me to trade with others for the first time EVER after X and Y introduced it, but odds are more in favor of $$$$$$$$$ than they are keeping a feature accessible to all fans. I just hope there isn't an annoying rotom-like feature popping in all the time asking me if I want to buy a subscription to Nintendo's Online so I can access cool features like GTS and [Insert New Festival Plaza Here]!

I'm sure it will return. Though whether or not everyone will be able to use it is another kettle of fish entirely. Since you need to pay to access most ingame online features on the switch, unlike the DS and 3DS, it could be that unless a player pays for this service any trading or battling between non-local players would be locked away. Which sucks in my opinion. It's probably not that expensive (like pokemon bank, but costs more because it's for all nintendo switch online play) but for people who don't have incomes like me it's pretty scummy to make something like trading be locked behind that pay for online interaction even though we had no problem letting you doing it for free for the last two handheld AND home consoles to suddenly lock us out of an important feature. Because trading and battling online is one of the big deals with pokemon. Not everyone has friends/literally anyone near them to trade with so online is a necessity. Hell, they made two different versions of the same game since the very beginning to force you to have to trade with others with the opposite version.

I'm really hoping it's not locked behind the online paywall since Wonder Trading actually allowed me to trade with others for the first time EVER after X and Y introduced it, but odds are more in favor of $$$$$$$$$ than they are keeping a feature accessible to all fans. I just hope there isn't an annoying rotom-like feature popping in all the time asking me if I want to buy a subscription to Nintendo's Online so I can access cool features like GTS and [Insert New Festival Plaza Here]!
Oh my god, no. Like you mentioned, trading/battling are the two defining features of Pokemon. I don't see them making players pay to trade/battle each other. Ever. Not only would that be a really bad move to pull on the target demographic (which are mostly kids), it would completely go against what Tajiri Satoshi intended for the games when he first created them. Having to pay to trade or battle friends? It goes against the very core of what makes Pokemon, Pokemon.

I said this in another thread that was closed, but I think that a good improvement for the eighth generation would be some sort of "Rating GTS" (something new, that would not totally replace the old GTS system), where Pokémon would be classified by some "ranking thing" (maybe stars?), so you could only trade and require Pokémon with the same "ranking" of yours, so it would do away with the mess that happens nowdays in GTS, with Pidgeys being deposited for Legendaries. And this way, anyone who would not be a fan of the idea, would still be able to use the common GTS.

Does the Gen 7 GTS still ban Mythicals from being traded? 'Cause if so, I hope that the Gen 8 version won't be as picky. But in general I didn't often use the GTS after Gen 4, so I'm not too bothered by what the next version of the GTS will be like.

Does the Gen 7 GTS still ban Mythicals from being traded? 'Cause if so, I hope that the Gen 8 version won't be as picky. But in general I didn't often use the GTS after Gen 4, so I'm not too bothered by what the next version of the GTS will be like.

It does.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom