• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: Guilty pleasures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitro Indigo

Small ripples lead to big waves.
Reaction score
If you don't know, a guilty pleasure is something you know is full of problems but like anyway.

Mine is Cars 2. Everyone who wants to be taken seriously as a film/animation critic hates this movie. Several voice actors sound bored. The villain's plan makes no sense. The pacing is terrible. The story is literally all over the place. Most of the characters are really underdeveloped. It's full of stereotypes. The friendship aspect is cheesy, and actually aggravating at the climax. I love this movie.

The 2003 remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I thought all of the characters were idiots, the plot was even dumber, and there was more violence than I cared for, yet I love it. It takes itself way too seriously and I wouldn't call it "fun" but it's one of those movies I just cannot stop watching when it comes on.

Volcano. Stupid movie. It made no sense from any perspective (science and fantasy), the characters are so stupid you would have thought that all of them would have died by the end of the movie and I found myself rooting for the volcano more than the "heroes." Still, I watch this movie all the time and I find myself enjoying it.

Independence Day is another. It's cheesy, it's unbelievable, and Brent Spiner freaks me out. I adore this movie!

I love movies like Mean Girls and Legally Blonde. I know both of those can be considered quite popular, but it's not something I'd usually watch, and a lot of my friends seems to be surprised by it.

If you want a real guilty pleasure, thought, I'll admit that I do enjoy watching bad rom-coms, as stupid as they can be...

My guilty pleasure is actually something with little flaws, and some of the best music around. Thing is, my general taste is in rock, metal, the places I hang out at are generally in this circle of influence and a lot of people know me as the guy who listens to metal(not a common thing in my field of work actually). Thing is though, I actually have a huge, HUGE soft spot for Latin Freestyle thanks to my parents, and most of my youtube playlists include TKA, Cover Girls, Cynthia, yeah you get the gist.

I love movies like Mean Girls and Legally Blonde. I know both of those can be considered quite popular, but it's not something I'd usually watch, and a lot of my friends seems to be surprised by it.

I like both of them too.

One guilty pleasure of mine is the Drawn Together movie. I'm a fan of the series (which I admit seems to be a "love it or hate it" kind of show) and I remember watching it in secret because my parents disapproved of it. While the movie isn't the best, I feel glad to admit to liking it since it seems that everyone hates it ever since TheMysteriousMrEnter (whom I've never particularly cared for) gave it a negative review.

@zakisrage Speaking of which, I don't like Mr. Enter's review of Cars 2 because he frequently complains about how certain scenes are the ULTIMATE proof the movie is a Lazily-Made Toy Commercial™ without ever elaborating upon why, as if he's saying it to earn respect by whacking the movie no-one likes like a pinata instead of saying something meaningful. Add sprinkles of putting Friendship is Magic on a pedestal (this is also why I hate his Atlantis Squarepantis review) and "you're a terrible person if you let your kids see this" near the end, and you've got a video which made me feel ashamed for liking this movie earlier on this year.

It's also a shame that Mr. Enter never made a deviantART journal post about his thoughts on Cars 3.

The Lion Guard. As a Disney Junior continuation of one of the greatest animated movies of ALL TIME, it's OK. The pilot, Return of the Roar, actually had some subtle jokes intended for adults. (most notably when Simba to Kion that they needed to have a talk, and said "Can You Feel The Love Tonight? I know. We already talked about that."

Season 2 of the series had Scar come back as a ghost in a volcano in the Outlands, but they could've handled it a lot better.

Bunga the honey badger is also a tad disappointing, especially given the fact that honey badgers are my favorite animals.

Space Jam
Also I'm a sucker for good cartoons. Reminds me of my childhood.

Last edited:
My taste in movies tends more towards the cheesy than what film critics praise.

Movies: Sucker Punch and the recent Baywatch movie a two films that come to mind. Both received pretty mixed reviews, but I find the former awesome (especially those Dieselpunk scenes. They were amazing), and the latter hilarious, despite its flaws and cheesiness.

Music: There are a few mainstream pop artists that I quite like, despite my distaste for most of todays pop music. Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, and Sia in particular are ones I like. Oh, and Katy Perry's older music as well. Not a fan of her newer stuff though.
There are also a number of EDM producers I like that are generally hated by the 'true fans' of the genre. Marshmello is one of them. Sure his stuff isn't anything new, and is sometimes very pop sounding, but I still enjoy listening to his tunes anyway. I also have a soft spot for Skrillex as well.

TV Shows: Paranormal shows are definitely a guilty pleasure of mine. They're cheesy, over-acted, and fake 99% of the time, but I still love watching them.

Last edited:
Bendy & The Ink Machine. Not the best game by any means, and the fandom can be cringey at times. Still, none of that stopped me from splurging on 3 different Bendy shirts with my birthday money. I have no shame. :whistle:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this before but, my anime guilty pleasures include Diabolik Lovers and Amnesia: Memories. Most anime fans will tell you these two series are trash and not to bother wasting your time with them, but as a fan of "bad boy" types of fictional characters, I was more than happy to sit through two reverse harems full of mostly "bad boys".

Oh, and another thing I really enjoy is 80s Hair/Glam Metal and Hard Rock. I love listening to bands like Mötley Crüe, Whitesnake, Cinderella, etc.
Is also enjoy listening to J-Pop Metal/Kawaii Metal bands like BABYMETAL and LADYBABY (shhh... Don't tell the metal purists that though). The stuff is weird, but I enjoy the catchiness of a lot of their songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom