• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

guzmania's garden

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
"in my head, there's an island; on that island, there's me."

hi, everyone. my name is felix, likely known to you as guzmania. most of the suffering in my life was a result of an unwillingness to let the past go, whether i clung to it or tried to outrun it.

today, i'm in my garden of daffodils. i looked what i hated in the eye and released it.

my shell will go where the wind carries it.

a butterfly does not concern itself with that.

this isn't a re-debut or a do-over in the truest sense. this is simply a blog pioneered by someone unfettered and unburdened.

sometimes, the garden gets personal. it's okay, because everyone here is strong. and sometimes it's light-hearted, too. there's not just one thing, because life doesn't have just one thing and a garden without variety is a bit less fun to raise. you can speak freely, engage, ask anything you'd like. this humble flower patch is meant to be shared. the gardener only asks that you remain respectful. no flower deserves to be trampled.

now, where were we?

the sky is boring today.

i'm writing this from indiana. (those very close to me may know why; maybe not.) everything here is very grey, perhaps more so than usual. yet the temperature is crawling upward, and in a few hours it's supposed to reach 70 degrees fahrenheit. i find it an uncomfortable notion, considering it's only the 4th of march and logic dictates that it should be much, much colder, but my SAD appreciates the aberrational warmth, even if the rest of my body doesn't.

i think... brains are very odd like that, aren't they? as is the rest of the human body. or maybe biology in general. all it takes is a single chemical imbalance beyond anyone's control to cause all sorts of problems. and it happens all the time.

did you know that pure water physically cannot exist? water, by the simple act of existing, will always contain impurities. it can never properly follow its own formula.

similarly, i think nothing in life can ever truly go the way you want them to. flaws exist in everything, even things you think are perfect. coming to terms with that can be so hard; it was for me, at least, especially as a person on the spectrum raised to be a perfectionist.

but here i am, now less than a year away from being an adult (at least legally), working hard to come to terms with the blemishes and imperfections in her life. and it can be hard, and sometimes scary, but the people who are most scared are the bravest ones because they have more capacity to overcome their fears.

i've been telling myself that a lot lately.

well, anyway.

today is my nephew's birthday. historically, people have been suprised to learn that i am an aunt in the first place judging from my age, but he is, in fact, the third and youngest of my siblings' children. he was born a year ago today... and what a story his birth was! my heavily pregnant sister had only just arrived home from her workplace after 40 minutes of driving through a snowstorm (one so intense our father of all people had called off his work) when her water broke, which meant that he ended up having to brave the storm anyway... and my sister for the second time (her husband drove).

inside the following inline spoiler is the story of how my nephew was actually born and what happened next. obviously he's alive, but the situation includes themes of death, so please don't click if you don't want to see it. prior to the day of her labor, my sister's various doctors always said that she had a near-perfect pregnancy. no morning sickness, minimal physical strain on her body, and the baby was growing at a perfectly normal pace, completely healthy. thus we all made the very stupid mistake of assuming she was going to have the perfect childbirth as well, even though this was her first child (our two nieces are the daughters of our older sister).

she did not have a perfect childbirth. in fact, she had a terrible childbirth. they made her push for nearly 12 hours. they tried to induce her but didn't do it properly and they forgot to give her the epidural. when the shift of the workers there ended, a new team came in, who immediately prepped her for a c-section. when they took the baby out, he wasn't breathing and he had no heartbeat. they resuscitated him after roughly ten minutes and did not tell my sister what happened until afterward. her husband was there the whole time, and i'm quite sure he'll never forget that time.

he was in the nicu for around a week, as he still initially had issues breathing without a ventilator. he did come around, though, and he came home.

he's a very healthy, happy baby. in that year, he's recovered and then some: he's approaching 30 pounds and is in the 97th percentile of height for his age group. neither his physical nor cognitive development have seemingly been stunted at all, and i'm so, so grateful for that. if it did, we would love him all the same, but it's good knowing that his quality of life won't suffer.

to get back to the happy stuff, there's a very funny coincidence in my family -- my cousin was born march 1, i was born march 2, another one of my cousins was born march 3, and my nephew was born march 4. whether or not this chain will continue remains to be seen... (though it's true i have a good friend born on march 5...)

frankly, i don't really like thinking about birthdays (at least not my own), because the idea of being an age and then suddenly not being an age... or rather, how such milestones, things so important, just suddenly happen, and you can't even describe why or when, at least not properly. i'm not averse to every change in the world, but these kinds of sudden, big ones are stressful, and it's only going to get worse, i suspect.

OKAY BACK TO THE HAPPY STUFF. minus the unfortunate implications, this weather really is gorgeous. yes, i know, it's a "small-talk" kind of topic, but it's true. the clouds have only parted a smidge, but the temperature is distinctly springlike.

i love spring, because it reminds me of new beginnings.

with this, i suppose i'll bid you adieu. i'd rather not overload this garden's inaugural post, and i've perhaps taken too much time anyway. i do not have a set schedule for when this will be updated; i would like to say weekly or biweekly, but in reality, i'll simply be posting whenever the whims of fate guide me here... regardless of how often or rarely that is.

nonetheless, i'll see you around. <3

Last edited:
  • Staff
to be frank, the reason behind my uncharacteristically long absence from here - this thread - is because i completely forgot what exactly it was in the first place.
so i'm defining it now for the sake of my torpid memory.

• a blog
  • an AMA
  • a conversational chat thread (note: it is not actually a conversational chat thread. friends can talk here, of course, but... :confused:)
  • a garden. the flower of the day is the magnolia...

though to elaborate on the second and third points, please... don't ask me anything too personal if you're not a mutual of mine? honestly speaking, i really am fine with really anybody popping in, but i would rather those whom i would say i don't know very well avoid asking me things on the more sensitive end of the spectrum. unfortunately, i cannot really spell it all out; just use common sense and you'll be fine. ^ ^

okay, i suppose there's another reason, which is that this is primarily a blog and i struggle to find things in my life worth blogging about.

or rather, i'm bad at running a blog. :') often i can't quite discern what in my daily happenings needs to be kept to myself and what would be considered interesting vs. uninteresting. and the interesting things are likely to have been spoken about elsewhere, either with my very close friends and siblings or somewhere else on the forums.

so, yes, difficult, and quite bad.

but i may as well give it a shot.

i suppose i'll start with a few of the semi-notable recent events in my life.

• tonight marks the beginning of a break that stretches until april 1. it's very odd by my district's standards to not have the monday following easter off, but since easter itself coincides with spring break, i can't say i'm wholly shocked. i'll be taking this opportunity to make progress on and wrap up a few personal projects~ maybe i will show you some of them? perhaps? we'll see, i suppose...
  • on the subject of easter, i can eat ice cream again soon. TuT my family is catholic and thus practitioners of lent, in which one must go without something they enjoy for the 40 days and 40 nights before the beginning of easter. i choose ice cream because i ALWAYS choose ice cream (one year i did soda which, since it was during a time that schoolwork was piling up monstrously and i have an unfortunate habit of using dangerously carbonated and sugary fluids as a crutch to help me work in the night, especially regarding schoolwork, had unprecedently horrible effects that i'm sure made jesus cringe in the heavens)... my mother gave up iced coffee, and she is currently only marginally less insane than she was during the time period in which she gave up any kind of coffee. and then you have my father, who gave up beer, and is seemingly not missing a damn thing, mostly because now he has margaritas every other night instead.
  • tonight also marks my bulbacast debut, a nervewracking and exhilarating thing... my girlfriend told me she would listen to it, so that's both added pressure and added motivation? (though i did encourage her to tune in so i did that to myself LOL)
  • my niece has made excellent strides in recovering from her illness over the week, and i think my sister will be taking her back to her house soon!! for the past few days, ever since she got out of the hospital, my niece along with her mom and little sister have been living at our parents' house - i love them dearly, of course, but it's very very noisy, which makes it quite difficult for me to focus on work and straight-up impossible for me to do others (hence why i haven't been in bulba VC lately) - the little one is a perpetually cranky toddler, which doesn't help matters at all. so i am a bit glad to have some peace and quiet again.. but my niece being healthy is the much, much more important thing, of course, and i'm so very proud of her for how incredibly strong she's been this past week.

i suppose that about wraps it up.. or, at least, i can't find anything else to write. (Blanc if you're reading this i had to take the sweet ants part out i'm sorry.. they are gone now (luckily)!!!)

the garden thanks you for your patronage!~ :enzap:

• Staff
It's so silly that less than a month after I created this thread, the point of which was to serve as proper do-over, I discovered who I really am.

Life really is incredible like that! :yay:

My period of respite has unfortunately come to an end, yet I feel strangely unburdened. Class hasn't been as bad as I had anticipated, which I suppose is nice; last night and this afternoon were very rocky for me, unfortunately, because of how I wasted my last few hours before falling asleep stressing over academy business, and I suppose my pessimistic attitude got the better of me earlier, but hey, I'm keepin' my chin up. That's one of the most important abilities to have, right?

In terms of more news! I'm trying out a new thing... yes, I am referring to the proper capitalization you see here. I'm still gonna be switching back and forth, probably depending on my mood, but.. it feels a little nice, writing like this! Like I'm presenting myself more formally, and it helps me take myself a bit more seriously too, I suppose.

I'm in for a pretty uneventful week, I think; assuming my professors won't suddenly slam me with any particularly hefty assignments, it seems I'm a free man until... probably this weekend. :P There are few things my mother finds more joy in than going on lengthy shopping sprees... (that's false, she hates that, but one would truly think she takes pleasure in it!) but she always takes the rest of us out for lunch, so we (being my father and myself) can't really not tag along.

...It's boring for sure, but it's usually not horrible. And the best thing about being a Chicagoan is the food; if you ever drop by, I'd like to hard-recommend Portillo's (for most things, especially Italian beef sandwiches; I can't speak on their hot dogs as I've never tried them), Giordano's (best deep dish pizza in the world), and Beggar's Pizza (if you want thin crust, you can't go wrong with this place; Gio's has terrific deep dish, as I mentioned, but Beggar's beats it in this department by a country mile).

Don't go to the Cheesecake Factory if you don't want cheesecake; the food really isn't anything special. Likewise, definitely do not go to the Sugar Factory if you're not getting any of their specialty drinks. The food there is just bad.

Sorry for the shorter entry; I'll make up for it by giving you a longer one next time, I swear! Thanks for popping by, Felix out! :ayeaye:

Back
Top Bottom