• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gym Leader/Elite 4/Champion Discussion

Iris is fit to be the champion?

• Total voters

Magmaster12

Reaction score
Thread for guessing gym teams/ gym leaders.

Cheren

Patrat
Herdier

Homika

Koffing
Whirlipede

Shizui

Mantine
Frillish
Basculin

Burgh
Joltik
Dwebble
Leavanny

Elesa

Flaafy
Emolga
Zebstrika

Clay

Klang
Ferroseed
Excadrill

Sklya

Archeops
Unfezant
Swoobat
Swanna

Iris/Drayden

Dragonair
Zweilous
Druddigon
Haxorus

Cheren's gym team is pretty much already confirmed unless for some reason Game Freak throughs us a curve ball he has a Delcatty instead.
In most cases for gym leaders usually use a strong pokemon or hand a really powerful TM move and in the Anime Gardodor used Venomshock, the anime has been pretty consitant with giving the TM as part of the move set of said pokemon so that's my guess. In case I'm wrong then she's probably going to use an underleveled Scolipede or Garbodor.
There's no telling which pokemon Shizui will use on his team but my guess is pretty good. There's also a chance he could use Azumarill, Floazel, Buizel, Pelipper, Wailmer, or Golduck.
Burgh will now be the fourth gym leader move up in rank to establish them as having improved over the last two years. I'm guessing Burgh will use a Joltic since Homika might use a Whirlipede.
Elesa's team is pretty obvious, unless by a slim chance she'll use a Magnemite instead of Emolga.
There's a new steel building in Driftviel City, so I think Clay has switched to using Steel type or has decided to retire to focus on his business. There's still a slight chance he could use a Durant or Pawniard. If he isn't switching types then he'll use the same gym team as the original BW.
I can think no better but for Skyla to have the same team she had in the original BW. She deserves an Archeops now as the 7th gym leader she can have a strong 7th pokemon.
The Opilucid gym leader will now be in opposite games to be consistent with there new experience.

Mod Edit:
List of currently confirmed Gym Teams:
Cheren: Patrat (lv.11), Lillipup (lv.13)
Homika: Koffing (lv.16), Whirlipede (lv.18)
Burgh: Swadloon (lv.22), Dwebble (lv.22), Leavanny (lv.24)
Elesa: Emolga (lv.28), Flaafy (lv.28), Zebstrika (lv.30)
Clay: Krokorok (lv.31), Sandslash (lv.31), Excadrill (lv.33)
Skyla: Swoobat (lv.37), Skarmory (lv.37), Swanna (lv.39)
Drayden: Druddigon (lv.46), Flygon (lv.46), Haxorus (lv.48)
Shizui: Carracosta (lv.49), Wailord (lv.49), Jellicent (lv.51)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Gym Leader/Gym Leader Team Predictions

The only one I can guess with any confidence is that as well as her Koffing, Homika will have a Venipede. Also, Shizui will most likely have a member of the Lotad line - probably Ludicolo.

Elesa was seen with an Emolga and Zebstrika in the anime promo trailer, so they're not going to use Magnemite. Shizui is going to need to stronger water type than Basculin as his signature Pokemon. Perhaps it'll be a male Jellicent since Shauntel uses a female one. I still have this feeling that Hillbert/Hilda will be the new Dragon type gym leader so they could use Reshiram/Zekrom making it the first gym leader to use a legendary Pokemon.

Elesa is confirmed to have a Flaffy boy

avfoaz9ceaaze2ojpglarge.jpg

So, according to this, our Gym Leaders are...

Cheren.
Homika.
Shizui.
Elesa.
Burgh.
Skyla.
Drayden.
Clay.

In no specific order.

The anime has been pretty consitant with giving the TM as part of the move set of said pokemon so that's my guess.

Has it? In DP they were pretty good, but recently? The only one that we've had is Frost Breath on Brycen's Cryogonal.

My predictions:

Cheren: Patrat and Lilipup, he is only the first gym leader, and Lilipup evolves at about lv18, so Herdier's unlikely

Homika: Koffing and Venipede (again, Venipede evolves at lv 22, so I'm keeping it there)

Shizui: Lombre: Buizel and Wingull (maybe Floatzel)

Burgh: Dwebble, a Butterfree/Beautifly type thing and Leavanny

Elesa: Flaafy, Emolga and Zebstrika

Clay: Hipowdon, Rhydon and Excadrill

Skyla: Altaria, Togekiss and Swanna

Drayden: Dragonair, Kingdra and Haxorus

The anime has been pretty consitant with giving the TM as part of the move set of said pokemon so that's my guess.

Has it? In DP they were pretty good, but recently? The only one that we've had is Frost Breath on Brycen's Cryogonal.

My predictions:

Cheren: Patrat and Lilipup, he is only the first gym leader, and Lilipup evolves at about lv18, so Herdier's unlikely

Homika: Koffing and Venipede (again, Venipede evolves at lv 22, so I'm keeping it there)

Shizui: Lombre: Buizel and Wingull (maybe Floatzel)

Burgh: Dwebble, a Butterfree/Beautifly type thing and Leavanny

Elesa: Flaafy, Emolga and Zebstrika

Clay: Hipowdon, Rhydon and Excadrill

Skyla: Altaria, Togekiss and Swanna

Drayden: Dragonair, Kingdra and Haxorus
Burgh is the 3rd leader shown in a image of the badge case.
And having a 4-5 level under leveled herdier isn't as bad as a 9 or 6 under leveled pidgeotto.

So Brycen is not a GL any more. I'm also assuming that Iris will be the Opelucid GL in White 2.

Here are my guesses:
Cheren- Lillipup, Patrat
Homika- Koffing, Venipede/Whirlipede (usually the second gym leader has a partially evolved pokemon on his/her team, and Venipede evolves at Level 22).
Shizui- Azumarill, Octillery, Mantine (I'm assuming he will have Mantine/Octillery because of the underwater tunnel)
Burgh- Leavanny, Dwebble/Crustle, Scolipede, possibly something pre-Gen V
Elesa- Emolga, Flaafy, Zebstrika
Clay- Excadrill, Palpitoad/Seismitoad, Krokorok, possibly something pre-Gen V
Skyla- Swanna, Swoobat, Crobat (assuming this evo-line is confirmed), Unfezant
Drayden (or possibly Iris)- Fraxure, Haxorus, Druddigon, Altaria

So Clay, Burgh, Skyla and Drayden all have the same artwork at BW. That's a huge letdown.

So Clay, Burgh, Skyla and Drayden all have the same artwork at BW. That's a huge letdown.
That's impossible because we know Skyla has a new design as obvious by her new in-game sprite.

They probably used the old artwork because they're lazy.

Except it's hard to tell with her being stuffed right in the top corner of a blurry screen. I certainly wouldn't say it's obvious. And if they were lazy they wouldn't have bothered using Elesa and Cheren's new designs. I don't think it's a coincidence that the only gym leaders that they've "shown off" to us, are the only ones in that image that are either new or redesigned. And we've already seen N and Alder without new designs, so we know not everyone is going to get one (still doesn't make it any less disappointing, though).

Except it's hard to tell with her being stuffed right in the top corner of a blurry screen. I certainly wouldn't say it's obvious.
Except there is higher quality footage and others have pointed out the differences between her original in-game sprite and her B2W2 in-game sprite. It might not be exactly obvious, but the differences are visible if you actually bother and take a look at it.

And if they were lazy they wouldn't have bothered using Elesa and Cheren's new designs. I don't think it's a coincidence that the only gym leaders that they've "shown off" to us, are the only ones in that image that are either new or redesigned. And we've already seen N and Alder without new designs, so we know not everyone is going to get one (still doesn't make it any less disappointing, though).
There is always a possibility that they didn't want to spoil it to us. Elesa was already revealed and so was Cheren, along with Homika and Shizui so none of them are real surprises to us.

if you actually bother and take a look at it.

I did look at it. I'm not sure why you're assuming I would be passing judgment on something I haven't looked at. Also, do you mind easing up on the hostility because it's entirely unnecessary.

There is always a possibility that they didn't want to spoil it to us. Elesa was already revealed and so was Cheren, along with Homika and Shizui so none of them are real surprises to us.

Like I said. It's not a coincidence in my mind that the only gym leaders we've seen artwork for so far are either completely new or have been redesigned. And the magazine/booklet is clearly going to include the gym leaders inside and it comes out a week after the games are released. Not wanting to spoil us doesn't really mean much.

I find Iris' absence far more notable than whether or not the other gym leaders have been re-designed.

I did look at it. I'm not sure why you're assuming I would be passing judgment on something I haven't looked at. Also, do you mind easing up on the hostility because it's entirely unnecessary.
Eh, I apologize if my post sounded hostile but that last part wasn't really directed at you, I probably should have phrased it better.

Like I said. It's not a coincidence in my mind that the only gym leaders we've seen artwork for so far are either completely new or have been redesigned. And the magazine/booklet is clearly going to include the gym leaders inside and it comes out a week after the games are released. Not wanting to spoil us doesn't really mean much.
Given the amount of info CoroCoro has been withholding from us, I wouldn't really be surprised if they were keeping the rest of the designs secret from us as well. I mean, they even bothered hiding Ghetsis's identity, for what purpose?

Anyway, we'll see who's right soon enough. We'll just have to agree to disagree at this point.

I don't see them removing her completely. I just hope it doesn't mean she's been promoted to Elite 4/Champion. I don't want to have to fight two dragon leaders like Clair and Lance in HGSS because they were both pains.

Cheren
1. Most likely : Patrat and Lilipup
2. Doubtfull : Patrat and Buneary (in Black) or Skitty(in White)

Homika
1. Most Likely : Koffing and Trubish
2. Doubtful : Koffing and Whirlipede

Burgh
1.Most likely : Whirlipede, Vespiqueen and Leavanny
2.Doubtful : Crustle, Whirlepede and Leavanny

Elesa
1. 99% confirmed :Emolga, Flaffy and Zebstrikka

Clay
1.Most Likely: Palpitoad, Waruvile and Excadrill
2.Doubtful : Mamoswine, Waruville and Excadrill
I don't even know is there any pre gen V ground type announced.

Skyla
1.Most Likely : Unfeazant,swana and Altaria
2.Doubtful : unfezant swana and charizard

Shizui
1.Most likely : Jelicent, Lombre ,Alomomola
2.doubtful: Jellicent , dewott (samurott), golduck

Drayden or iris
Dragonite, haxorus, Druddigon

Last edited:

I imagine that Brycen is no longer the Gym Leader due to Pokéwood and it rekindling his interest in his acting career.

Now that we have all the Gym Leaders confirmed, here's my guess:

Cheren: Patrat and Buneary
Homika: Koffing and Whirlipede
Burgh: Dwebble, Heracross, Leavanny. (Either way, if not Heracross, it will probably be Whirlipede that is replaced)
Elesa: Emolga, Flaafy, Zebstrika (Confirmed)
Clay: Krokorok, Palpitoad, Steelix (Or possibly Krokorok, Onix and Excadrill)
Skyla: Unfezant, Swanna, Altaria
Shizui: Vaporeon, Jellicent, Ludicolo
Drayden: Druddigon, Dragonair, Haxorus

I like Eneci's idea of Cheren having Patrat and Buneary in Black 2 and Patrat and Skitty in White 2. Though I don't think they'll do that. I could see him having a Minccino, because if it had Technician it would actually be more challenging than the bog standard early-game Patrat + Lillipip combo (which is to say not challenging at all unless they push their levels high).

And Altaria goes with Skyla like Flaaffy goes with Elesa. Which means to say it's a perfect match. So I agree with that.

I think Burgh will have Dwebble, Vespiquen and Leavanny.

I like Eneci's idea of Cheren having Patrat and Buneary in Black 2 and Patrat and Skitty in White 2. Though I don't think they'll do that. I could see him having a Minccino, because if it had Technician it would actually be more challenging than the bog standard early-game Patrat + Lillipip combo (which is to say not challenging at all unless they push their levels high).
That is a pretty cool idea with Buneary and Skitty. I do think every Gym Leader is going to have a team made up of Gen I-IV and Gen V Pokémon though, so I doubt he'll have a Minccino.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom