• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gym Leader/Elite 4/Champion Discussion

Iris is fit to be the champion?

• Total voters
Re: Iris's Team

Haxorus should be a boy to match the anime, I know games don't pay that much attention but it would just be cool to imagine that he finally became a Haxorus.
Also the non dragons are all a bit meh, not really even related to dragons but then I guess there isn't that many dragons could have added Dragonite like the anime. If they had to have none-dragons couldn't they match the anime maybe with Excadrill?

Archeops kinda fits, just based on look. It's old and powerful, almost a dragon. They all seem to fit pretty well. I look forward to being up against this team!

Her team isn't just dragon-themed, it's "dinosaur" themed. Hence the inclusion of Lapras, Aggron, and Archeops. I suppose it's not bad...considering having a second Dragon Champion is a little monotonous.

Lame. If you've got a Fighting type with Ice Punch, it's over. Specialized Champions don't work, as it just makes it all the easier to sweep. They had the right idea with Blue and Cynthia. Not counting Alder since his team shares a comparable weakness to rock/fire.

In regards to the poll question: HELL NO

Drayden would have been a much better choice and let Iris inherit the Gym Full time. Also this causes a lot of problems for the anime. In the anime she has an Axew, Excadrill and an Emolga! Hardly champion worth material. So think the anime will just ignore her and have her as a novice all the way through, much like they ignored her being a part time Gym leader.

I agree with your stance on Drayden, though to be fair, being the mayor would make that difficult. I still think it should have been Marshal or Cheren though.

As for the anime, it's never really followed the games all that well, as Blue/Gary never became Champion in the anime. Though I can see her becoming new Unova Champion at the end of Best Wishes.

Lame. If you've got a Fighting type with Ice Punch, it's over. Specialized Champions don't work, as it just makes it all the easier to sweep. They had the right idea with Blue and Cynthia. Not counting Alder since his team shares a comparable weakness to rock/fire.

Yeah, I agree with the sentiments regarding Blue and Cynthia. Without knowing much of the storyline in B2W2, I feel as if Cheren would make the most believable champion outside of Alder returning to his role. Rather than the normal type team he uses in his gym, they could set him up to have a mixed team (like his BW team) with a starter strong against your own. That way the team would be more varied and difficult to face.

I don't mind her focus on dragons/dinosaurs since her team isn't just mono-dragon. The part that does kind of bother me is that she shares a main Pokemon with a gym leader. That seems rather redundant. They should have been a bit more creative with her best.

I'm kind of wondering why Lapras is in there. Aggron too. I agree with everyone, it seems dragon/dinosaur-ish. I'm not really surprised her team isn't competitive, but Champion's team hardly ever are though. I think it would be a fun battle though. Mainly because of the music. XDD

So since when did people give a damn who the champion was? I never saw this kind of whining ever. Sounds to me that the idea of Iris as the champion is too much for you complainers to handle. Is it just because she doesn't fit your stereotypical description of a champion? Or are you letting the anime influence what you see in the games?

Lol.

Seems like people are letting anime Iris influence their opinion on game Iris a little bit too much.

Looking at their movesets and not just at the Pokemon themselves, I'd say we are in for one hell of a tough time...:uhoh:

Nah. It's just because I just dislike children. And I think there were others more deserving. inb4 you're wrong

Nah. It's just because I just dislike children. And I think there were others more deserving. inb4 you're wrong

Says the guy who wanted Alder's grandson (who is also a kid) as Champion. And how exactly do you determine if someone is "more deserving" or "less deserving" anyway?

Says the guy who wanted Alder's grandson (who is also a kid) as Champion. And how exactly do you determine if someone is "more deserving" or "less deserving" anyway?

I wanted Banjirou because it's feasible he was trained by someone of Champion caliber already, which would put him quite above many others. And yeah, I know Drayden is still a very competent trainer, but he's just a gym leader. And by 'deserving' I mean someone like Cheren or Marshal. Cheren because a big part of his development in the previous game was his desire to become powerful and finding a way to go about it. Plus, it would be nice to see him achieve his dream instead of becoming the most pathetic leader since Falkner. Marshal for the same reasons as Banjirou. If he was already good enough to become an Elite 4 member without being trained by a current Champion, that it telling of his skill. Honestly, I really wanted Marshal the most, as it would be a good way to show how far the Fighting type has come.

Cheren becoming the Champion would reverse his character development, dude. D8 He learned that there are more important things than just being the strongest. Seriously, were there this many complaints about Caitlin being an Elite 4 Member when it was first revealed? THAT is way more BS than Iris being the Champion. Iris is the last Gym Leader in White version, at the very least. She more than deserves her champion rank.

People were more surprised with Caitlin being an Elite 4 member than anything else, since it came right outta nowhere. And really, this is all just my opinion. I don't expect it to change anyone's mind, I'm just throwing it out there, as this is a board for discussion. And I find it ironic that many still resent Wallace for replacing Steven, given how it was a very similar situation. And yeah, I know Cheren learned there was more to life than power. But it's still no reason to not try and do your best, instead of becoming a punching bag for new trainers.

Look. I don't hate Iris. I think they could have done far worse with a Champion choice (N comes to mind). I'm just disappointed by the direction the developers took here. It's not like it'll ruin the game for me or nothing.

And yeah, I know Cheren learned there was more to life than power. But it's still no reason to not try and do your best, instead of becoming a punching bag for new trainers.
Um, no. Becoming a teacher=/=Becoming a punching bag. Oh and it's not like as if he doesn't have any stronger Pokemon to test trainers with stronger Pokemon.

Hmm, I wonder how does it fare on challange mode. The normal one was an easy 6-0 for my Liligant.

I did like that she had Haxorus with Focus Sash though.

Hmm, I wonder how does it fare on challange mode. The normal one was an easy 6-0 for my Liligant.

I did like that she had Haxorus with Focus Sash though.

I'm confused are you saying you beat all her Pokemon with a Liligant?????

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom