• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVERYONE: Gym Leader Randri: A Memoir

Kutomba

Take me for the walk
Reaction score
Hey! I was reading Pokemon fanfiction on FF.net, but I was growing kinda bored of it. I got to thinking. What would be another way that someone could tell the story of a Pokemon trainer besides the normal fanfiction format?

If Pokemon were real, there would be more than fictional stories written. There would be nonfiction books capturing historical events starring Pokemon, old dusty encyclopedias full of ancient Pokemon legends, and... well, among all the different types of media people in the Pokemon world would be creating, memoirs would be one of them. So that's exactly what I'm trying to pull off: a memoir written from the point of view of a (fictional) gym leader. All criticisms/advice is absolutely welcome. I'd love to capture my character the best I can, and anything you could to to help me do that would be wonderful!

________

There was nothing very interesting about my childhood. I was born to my parents Jonathan and Diary Randri on May 13, 2002 in Eterna City. They named me Sarah. Throughout school I was a very average kid, with an average amount of friends and average grades. My mom had a pet Pachirisu, but my dad was terrified of Pokemon and made her keep it inside its Pokeball whenever he was around. Because of my dad’s fear, I was never really heavily exposed to Pokemon.

I was still nothing special through high school. I had to take some remedial math classes, but other than that my performance was normal. I took a part time job at the herb shop doing all the manual labor that the old woman running it couldn’t perform herself. She had a small, old, Pikachu-like Pokemon I think she called Denne. It could’ve been an opportunity for me to interact with Pokemon; however, Denne was very old and never moved much from its bed in the corner. It passed away in its sleep while I was still working there, but the woman refused to acknowledge that Denne was dead and insisted I didn’t touch the body lest I wake it from its sleep. Denne lay dead in that position for several weeks until, one day, it just disappeared. I still to this day don’t know what happened to the corpse, and was never insensitive enough to ask the old woman where it’d gone.

Though the herb shop didn’t give me any more familiarity with Pokemon than my mom’s Pachirisu did, it did give me a lot of knowledge about Pokemon medicine. Though it couldn’t make up for my ingenuousness, it was a start. I was hoping that it could someday help me kick start a career.

After I graduated, I was one of the luckier children in Eterna City. Sinnoh had been going through a particularly rough economic depression at the time, and it was hard to find decent work without some sort of education after high school. However, my mom had been good buddies with the new gym leader, Gardenia, back in trainer’s school, and was able to convince her to grant me an apprenticeship in her gym.

Gardenia was very kind and patient with me. Because I had yet to obtain a Pokemon of my own, she gave me a young, untrained Budew that had recently hatched from an egg her Roserade laid. Using what I’d learned in school, I’d remembered that my Budew would eventually evolve into a Roselia. This inspired Budew’s nickname: Rosie.

Given my inexperience, I spent little time in the gym dealing with challengers. Gardenia instructed me to venture out into Eterna Forest instead to work with a few of the rangers. Rosie and I did all the normal stuff at first- we weeded the path, logged local Pokemon populations, and moderated trainers that came through. I did occasional battling with passerby trainers as well on days when I wasn’t too busy.

There was a tree branch near the forest’s entrance that became our favorite hiding place. It was barely obscured from underneath by leaves, and was high enough to see a good ways down the main path. Sometimes, sunlight creeped down the canopy right above our little nook and Rosie would bounce about and open her bud to welcome it. We kept a small collection of various berries stuffed inside a hole in the tree’s trunk for whenever we wanted a snack. I personally preferred Cheri berries, but Rosie absolutely adored Persim berries, so we mostly collected those.

______

At the moment, that's all I've got. Should I continue writing it? I already have the basic storyline and characters written down.

Again, advice is encouraged! :)

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom