• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gym leaders/ Pokémon League

Wha-what?

That's certainly...odd. Kind of weird.

I mean, do they WANT to lose?

Wow, so much for calling it a challenge... I guess that explains why Hiyappu was seen fighting Pod and Baoppu in the booklet. And it's Level TEN. Compared to a Level 14 pokemon, the difference isn't really too much.

However, if you have 6 pokemon in your party by the time you reach Sanyou, theoretically you cannot fight the gym leaders until you recycle one out. It seems to me that they give you the monkey immediately before the battle.

Sorry, I'm pretty new to Pokémon - why are the gym leaders of such interest?

They're bosses to put it simple. You must get by them to get a badge which will eventually lead you to the league. They're somewhat important NPCs in general too.

you must be if you don't know what a gym leader is

well it's like this

they're strong trainers we have to fight during the games

8 of them in each region

and now we know who they are

That's not what I meant. I'm not understanding the excitement about the gym leaders for Black and White. So far from what I've played of HeartGold, they seem to be pretty minor figures.

That's not what I meant. I'm not understanding the excitement about the gym leaders for Black and White. So far from what I've played of HeartGold, they seem to be pretty minor figures.

Gym Leaders have gotten progressively bigger roles in every gen.

In Gen I Giovanni was the only one to appear outside of the Gyms.

In Gen II the role wasn't expanded much because they had 16 instead of 8.

In Gen III Gym Leaders got some appearences outside of gyms. They also started to include things like the fame Checker which gave more detailed backstory for each gym. In Emerald, we got the ability to have rematches with Gym Leaders, and also have them visit your house to chat.

In Gen IV each Gym Leader in Sinnoh appears outside of their gym at least twice (if you count their cameos in Johto and Kanto), plus rematches, plus backstory.

Gym Leaders are basically the closest thing the series has to a set of recurring/developing characters in each region.

Their roles have also gradually expanded in the anime, from fighting Ash in a single episode to having mini-arcs for each of them and having many of them reappear throughout their region.

Gym Leaders have gotten progressively bigger roles in every gen.

In Gen I Giovanni was the only one to appear outside of the Gyms.

In Gen II the role wasn't expanded much because they had 16 instead of 8.

In Gen III Gym Leaders got some appearences outside of gyms. They also started to include things like the fame Checker which gave more detailed backstory for each gym. In Emerald, we got the ability to have rematches with Gym Leaders, and also have them visit your house to chat.

In Gen IV each Gym Leader in Sinnoh appears outside of their gym at least twice (if you count their cameos in Johto and Kanto), plus rematches, plus backstory.

Gym Leaders are basically the closest thing the series has to a set of recurring/developing characters in each region.

Ok, and since HeartGold is a remake of a Gen II game, it's not really giving me the full picture of modern gym leaders?

They tried to spruce up the Gen II Leaders with a little more interactivity, but you can only put so much duct tape on something to try and fix it.

I can say unabashedly that the Leaders will have some role to play in this Gen. We don't know which ones and how much, but there will be big shoes to fill.

I kind of hope Dento, Pod, and Korn come back later on with their evolved Monkeys and challenge you to a Triple Battle...

Be pretty cool if that was actually your introduction to it as well. I imagine the game might build up from single to double to triple.

Ok, and since HeartGold is a remake of a Gen II game, it's not really giving me the full picture of modern gym leaders?

They tried to spruce up the Gen II Leaders with a little more interactivity, but you can only put so much duct tape on something to try and fix it.

Pretty much. In HGSS, you CAN meet with each Gym Leader for a rematch and new conversation, but you have to call them at very specific times of he week to unlock them and it's easy to miss.

Pretty much. In HGSS, you CAN meet with each Gym Leader for a rematch and new conversation, but you have to call them at very specific times of he week to unlock them and it's easy to miss.

Gotcha, thanks.

How did I know Iris was the last gym leader? Besides that I'm glad there are more female gym leaders than male (counting you only battle Dento, Poddo, and Koon once.)

Just wanted to make sure...is it true that Iris Pokemon are going to be lv. 90? The Icy Gym Leader lv 80 and so on? According to the picture.

Those levels just state the usual "when you get this badge, pokemon up to level x will obey you".

I would say it is. They changed their plot roles and gave them more development to be more like the other Gen 4 games. They're still not as big as the Sinnoh ones, but good enough.

Quick comments:

Getting another Ground Gym is great. Another Flying Gym? Not bad. Same with Ice. And Normal. Those haven't only occured twice. Dragon in the last spot again is a little cliched and I wish they hadn't done it.

Bug is the best since we haven't seen that in a while for Leaders.

Electric again? Yeah, sucks.

How can Dragon in 8th place be a cliche, it only happened once before, 3 Generations ago, back in Gen 2.

It wouldn't be so bad if we didn't just have the final 8th Leader of Sinnoh be Electric.

Seems like they really hated Poison this Gen.

They hate the poison type every gen. There hasn't been a posion gym since Fuschia City if I'm not mistaken, and theres never really any powerful poison types, just look at competitive battling, apart from gengar who is mainly Ghost, no one really uses poison types as they are all really rubbish.

I think it's fine that we have grass and water again, since they're conditional, but yeah, kinda disappointed that we're still not getting a dark gym yet as well.

If it's not obvious yet, I don't know when it will be, there will never be a Dark Gym.

And dragon is eighth. Tradition! Tradition...

Oh well, we at least have another ground type.

Yes because a one time occurance back in Gen 2 really sets a precedent for Tradition!

That's the one thing that bothers me. Technically, it's 4 generations (gen I didn't have the Dark type), but still. And if anyone of the E4 ends up being a Dark type trainer (again!), I'll be seriously annoyed.

Otherwise, things look great.

Why? There's not likely ever going to be a Dark Gym, the only chance you get is in the Elite 4, I believe the Elite 4 may be dark this time.

So a gym leader finally joins the plot. About damn time.

Misty and Brock from the anime say hi. If your talking Game Exclusive, I'd like to see your source stating or showing that Iris is somehow a big part of the BW plot any more than Misty and Brock were in Red and Blue.

Iris looks to be plot-centric.

Dento looks to just be your standard Gym Leader. In the anime, he'll be like Brock or Misty, taken out of his role and put into the shoes of a main characters. Makes me wonder why they chose Dento over his bro's.

Your evidence that she is plot centric is where exactly?

I'm guessing they choose Dento because as you can see from the anime clips, Ash gets a Mijumaru, logic dictates they'd follow the same pattern of facing the strongest type in the gym like in the games. Also Grass is generally seen as being before Fire then Water as in all pokedex's so they probably just picked the first one, and gave Ash Mijumaru so he'd be weak against Dento.

Apparently you get the advantageous monkey before the gym battle, the one that is weak to your starter, but strong against the gym leaders monkey.

Source please?

I can say unabashedly that the Leaders will have some role to play in this Gen. We don't know which ones and how much, but there will be big shoes to fill.

It's great that you can "unabashedly" make such a bold claim without any evidence whatsoever to back it up.

Source please?
Apparently Famitsu magazine.

It's great that you can "unabashedly" make such a bold claim without any evidence whatsoever to back it up.

Aloe is seen with Team Plasma. When the skeleton head gets stolen we can see Aloe in between the player and I think it was Cheren.

Misty and Brock from the anime say hi. If your talking Game Exclusive, I'd like to see your source stating or showing that Iris is somehow a big part of the BW plot any more than Misty and Brock were in Red and Blue.

Your evidence that she is plot centric is where exactly?

A screenshot in one of the ads showed her and an old man in a temple, talking about the legendary Dragon Pokémon (Reshiram and Zekrom).

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom