• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gym Puzzles- What's gonna change?

Mitchman

Simpler times ahead
Reaction score
So, thanks to the trailer we just got, we had a glimpse at 2 gyms(I'm pretty certain that waterfall one was Mossdeep, what with the psychics) and it seems Mossdeep has changed, and Lavaridge got a nice overhaul. What changes do you want, or can you see happening to the other gyms? Like dewford, cause of flash being nuked, do you see it gaining another puzzle?

I'm hoping norman's will be more like a single dojo training room where you all fight on the same stage, with Norman as the sensei at the back who only challenges you after beating his benched kohei.

Lavaridge and Mossdeep looked really good in the trailer~ I'm definitely excepting the rest of them to look just as good~

As of now, I don't have any particular thoughts on any Gym, but as for Dewford, I don't see any reason it should be changed on that reasoning alone since you never needed Flash to complete it, anyway.

So the other Gym was Lavaridge then? I thought it was Dewford. I don't recognize some of the trainer classes though in it. One looks like an update of the old Battle girl design so that's why I thought I was Dewford. The other guy I don't recognize though.

Last edited:
Gaara, defowrd gym acted as an intro to the use of flash, and its prize was its usage. Seeing as granite cave is probably lit, the theme is useless.

Gaara, defowrd gym acted as an intro to the use of flash, and its prize was its usage. Seeing as granite cave is probably lit, the theme is useless.
Wait you can use Flash in Dewford Gym? I though the "puzzle" of Dewford Gym was to defeat trainers to make the Gym more brighter.

Wait you can use Flash in Dewford Gym? I though the "puzzle" of Dewford Gym was to defeat trainers to make the Gym more brighter.

You can't use Flash there until after you first defeat Brawly. They could make the Gym like the cave in XY that's from a first person view.

You can't use Flash there until after you first defeat Brawly. They could make the Gym like the cave in XY that's from a first person view.
Ah damn read Mitzman post wrong, this would be cool.

The little panicky arm wave that Brendan did just before he was about to fall was so cute lol.

And agreed on the first person idea - wandering in the dark then BAM! You're challenged to a battle. Would be pretty intense imo.

Well, the Sootopolis gym would likely have to change (even though I did like the original) since you can move diagonally now. I thought at first the one with the trapdoors was the new version of that, but on closer inspection it's much more likely to be Lavaridge.

The waterfall one, which probably is Mossdeep, doesn't impress me that much from what we've seen but I suppose I'll see.

Fortree is an obvious candidate to change as well, since its puzzle had little to do with the Flying type and would be much less impressive this generation. Perhaps the new Fortree Gym could somehow revolve around Sky Trainers and Sky Battles? It'd make it difficult to take on with a normal team, but it would certainly be novel and would tie in well with Winona's design.

I like Team Gaara's idea that Dewford's gym could be first-person like Luminous Cave. That would allow them to make it similar to the older gym while being more unique and impressive.

Mauville's gym was a perfectly functional as an Electric-type gym, so they don't have to change it. But if they could do something more interesting with it I certainly wouldn't mind.

Rustboro's gym wasn't that impressive but seeing as it's the first gym I can't see them doing too much to it. So long as it looks more dynamic I'm sure it'll be fine.

Finally, I hope Petalburg's gym stays mostly the same—I loved the idea of each trainer using a different sort of strategy to convey the versatility of the Normal type.

Some of the gyms will need to be at least doubled in size, Mauville especially. I've been replaying Emerald and it took me maybe four minutes and zero brainpower to reach Wattson. The system definitely needs to be expanded, maybe with color-coded activation tiles to indicate what electricity pattern they correspond to. Still, most of the gimmicks would do fine being left in place. Dewford especially seems like a good candidate for fun with cameras, using angles that don't let you see what's around the next corner instead of darkness, but while that does solve the no flash problem, it doesn't seem relevant to the gym's typing or to Brawly at all. Ambush is a Dark- or Ghost-type thing, not Fighting.

Aside from Dewford, Sootopolis is a good candidate for a complete overhaul too. If they keep it as is, it's going to feel like the Icirrus gym all over again, and there are plenty of more interesting things that are actually related to non-frozen water that are possible in this gen anyway. It would be fun to see a gym that actually requires Surf--or better yet, Dive, since it's certainly going to be back in the remakes.

Rustboro Gym
p40_02_yfu.jpg
http://www.pokemonrubysapphire.com/en-us/pokemon-basics/pokemon-basics/pokemon-basics
Looks the same in terms of layout except for the ancient slab behind Roxanne.

The Rustboro gym just looks so small. o__o And especially since it looks like the gym doubles as a mini-museum now (which I love!) I feel cramped just looking at that image. I would've expected at least a slightly bigger expansion... Meh, but it still looks good.

Looks like there won't be the possibility of a double battle in the gym with some of the trainers. I think Emerald's Rustboro puzzle made it so that was possible.

Looks like there won't be the possibility of a double battle in the gym with some of the trainers. I think Emerald's Rustboro puzzle made it so that was possible.

We can't be too sure yet--based on the image it seems like they added a Lass as a Gym Trainer, who wasn't in any of Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald before. (That character model in front of Roxanne seems to match the new look of the Lass trainer class in my opinion, anyway.) And it's possible that there's another trainer across from that Lass (maybe the Hiker from Emerald?), but he could be hiding behind that one wall on the left and we can't see him because of perspective.

*still holding on to hope*

Wow, that gym is something special. I guess that if there is a double battle, the trainer would be facing that lass, right behind the wall. And its not that small, you can tell there's some depth, and its probably just as big as it was in RSE.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom