• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gyms based on themes rather than types

Te-em

I want to rp!
Reaction score
What would you think of a gym based on a theme rather than a Pokemon type. The Gym Leader would for instance use Pokemon with other similarities than types, e.g. Pokemon that looks like space aliens.

This would make the game difficult when it comes to finding a type to battle the gym with, but other than the difficulty, how would this look? And taken into consideration the difficulty, how would it affect the gameplay?

Example of themes:
Space (use futuristic looking pokemon like robots and aliens)
Mythology (pokemon based on a mythology/similar mythologies)
Animals (cats, dogs etc.)

This thought came to me, because I asked myself, why are Gyms always type based. Can a Gym Leader not have Pokemon of different types or is type a law they must follow? I remember the final gym in RGBY used a mix though, leaning a bit toward ground-type (though I have a theory why this is so).

It's a nice aspect to point out, I've always wondered about having themed gym for once, actually. Though I suppose they've never done something like that because it's easier to battle against a one-type team. If it were a Bear team, for example, the player would face a Ursaring (normal), Pangoro (fighting/dark) and Beartic (Ice), which could be a lot more interesting for a veteran but tougher for newbie/casual players. :/

I would say that, if they were to do this, it would have to be in a spin-off game-- like, if they were to put Gyms in Orre, for example. I, for one, would really not be comfortable with a break from tradition like this. I'm fine with the transitive state the series is in, insofar as graphics, types, storylines, et cetera, go, but changing how Gyms work would be a step too far for me, and it wouldn't be out of the question to assume I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

In short, it would be too much of a change, and would seem out of place in a main-series game.

If they had 16 gyms like in GSC, then the last 8 gyms could be theme based. The game would start out easy, but becoming difficult later on. I know there are some games that have hardcore levels at the end, so perhaps they could divide the game that way.

If they had 16 gyms like in GSC, then the last 8 gyms could be theme based. The game would start out easy, but becoming difficult later on. I know there are some games that have hardcore levels at the end, so perhaps they could divide the game that way.

Aww yeah, didn't think about that! That would be perfect. Also, thinking about it, most of the animal teams wouldn't be that hard to knock off: for my previous Bear team, a single Fighting pokémon would fit okay. Also a Frog team would be easy to handle with an Electric or Grass pokémon. :D
Also, how about Space teams? you mean the likes of Dialga or Palkia?

Space alien Pokemon I think of Ligrey, Malamar in XY and perhaps Ledian.

Historic Pokemon; Not only fossil pokemon but also Bronzong and Golurk.

Hmm It's a tantalizing idea. I'd like to see a character who uses snake or serpentine Pokemon, or maybe someone who uses only dog-like Pokemon.

Although not gym leaders, several trainers had teams that sported certain themes. Some trainer classes, such as Sailor (using sea pokemon and fighting-types to represent the strong spirit of Sailors), Aroma Lady (uses Grass and Bugs that are known for good scent), Beauty (feminine looking pokemons), Hikers (Ground/Rock/Fighting - representing harsh climbing and endurance), and so on.

And we've got well-known NPCs with themes as well

Colress - his team is a bundle of SCIENCE. Rotom, Beheeyem, Metagross, Magneton, Magnezone, and Klinklang...

N - while his pokemons aren't exactly his, the members he uses in battles differ based on where he finds them; Habitat theme or such.

Steven - I know he's an official Steel-type master, but his team is consisted of Metagross, Skarmory, Aggron, Cradily, Armaldo, and Claydol. With the exception of Metagross, the others are found during expeditions and digging in caves - it reflects his hobbies of collecting rare stones. This is more prominent as he adds an Excadril to his team later. So I'd say he's got a case of a good theme team based on Mining or Stone Collecting.

Don't forget we have the stat trainers, as their team theme are based on stats.

If gyms are based on themes rather than types, I'd say we'd have more challenging battles and would use better strategies than we'd normally would. For example, if the gym was based on Sailors, instead of Thunderbolting our way through endless Water-types, we'd be altering between Psychic attacks and Flying-moves as well.

Elesa could have used a variety of feminine looking pokemons since she's a model (a more upgraded Beauty class), and Lt. Surge could have used a Soldier theme and bring some Fighting-types in his team. Koga and Janine, as ninjas, could have used a Ninja theme and use Dark-types with Poison, add pokemon with high speed and use various priority moves.

Cool Idea! The only problem, is that it would make the game a lot more difficult since to form an strategy against the gym you would have to consider lots of relationships between types to consider, and it isn't easy with one-type gyms. For example, a flying type gym could be beaten by using electric-type moves, but in a bird-themed gym you would have to consider many other types when building up your strategy rather than exploiting the type weakness of a shared type among all of the leader's pokémon.

I'd like to see that happen, but I don't think it will because it'd be too challenging and unpredictable. As for theme ideas, here's what I have:

Factory: Uses Fire, Electric, Poison, and Steel types (examples: Electivire, Magmortar, Rotom, Magnezone, Electrode, Klinklang, Weezing, Muk, Garbodor)
Ruins: Uses Rock, Ground, Psychic, and Ghost types (examples: Lunatone, Solrock, Claydol, Hippowdon, Krookodile, Golurk, Xatu, Bronzong, Sigilyph, Spiritomb, Cofagrigus)
Magic: Uses Psychic, Ghost, Dragon, and Fairy types (examples: Alakazam, Mr. Mime, Espeon, Gardevoir, Gothitelle, Mismagius, Chandelure, Dragonite, Altaria, Clefable, Wigglytuff, Sylveon)

I'd like to see that happen, but I don't think it will because it'd be too challenging and unpredictable. As for theme ideas, here's what I have:

Factory: Uses Fire, Electric, Poison, and Steel types (examples: Electivire, Magmortar, Rotom, Magnezone, Electrode, Klinklang, Weezing, Muk, Garbodor)
Ruins: Uses Rock, Ground, Psychic, and Ghost types (examples: Lunatone, Solrock, Claydol, Hippowdon, Krookodile, Golurk, Xatu, Bronzong, Sigilyph, Spiritomb, Cofagrigus)
Magic: Uses Psychic, Ghost, Dragon, and Fairy types (examples: Alakazam, Mr. Mime, Espeon, Gardevoir, Gothitelle, Mismagius, Chandelure, Dragonite, Altaria, Clefable, Wigglytuff, Sylveon)

Those themes sound really nice. One (high-)technology theme, one ancient ruins or perhaps historic theme and one magic, super-natural theme. They are all sort of different. Future technology vs ancient technology. Technology vs magic.

I love it! The increased difficulty would be a godsend, really. The game isn't as much fun when gyms aren't a challenge. Everything is more rewarding when you work hars for it, you know?

I want to be proud of my badges!

I would love this to happen. This would prevent or atleast lessen the likelihood of having 1 Pokemon wipe out the entire Gym (Charizard burns Celadon City).
Also this would really promote creativity in the development team.

What an awesome idea. We did this in a Wi-Fi league I was part of once. And I used canine-type Pokemon. I'd really like for this to happen, as it'd make things more interesting and a bit more challenging. But types are a huge part of Pokemon as well, and the current system is probably in place to help people learn them as there are so many and it might be hard to keep track of them... so whilst it'd be awesome, the current system works nicely as well.

Space theme:
462MS.png
606MS.png
(Malamar)

If the theme leans toward biology as well, then this Pokemon can be included
579MS.png

Sleep theme:
518MS.png
097MS.png
143MS.png
040MS.png
(
491MS.png
not typically a gym leader Pokemon)

A fighting-type Pokemon can't do it alone at the sleep gym. Dark Pokemon will also have resistance due to the fairy Pokemon included.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom